Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 14,248 times

Advertisements

I know that somewhat similar questions have been asked before, but I am hoping to get some new perspectives and have a few additional questions. Here is the scenario.

My husband and I are Americans. We are currently living in Vancouver, BC. He has a fulltime job in Delta (closer to the US border) that provides us both with health insurance through the BC MSP / provincial system. I am currently a graduate student at UBC. We are temporary residents thanks to my student permit which got him a work permit.

The thing is, Vancouver is incredibly expensive and we don't really like living here very much. We are looking into the possibility of living in Bellingham but commuting to Vancouver. I will likely only have to go to the campus 1 day a week and he will probably be able to get a work schedule where he works only Friday through Sunday.

Does anyone know implications for healthcare? Would we have to forfeit our BC employer-covered healthcare if we are living in the US?

I know that we'd have to pay BC and federal Canadian taxes and also file with the US (but then claim a foreign tax credit... right?). The tax thing doesn't seem like a huge deal.

We have already applied for nexus and are waiting to hear back. My main concern / question right now is the health care one.

I'd also LOVE to hear from anyone who is in or has been in a similar situation about the pros and cons.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 03:14 PM

250 posts, read 643,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedespair View Post
I know that somewhat similar questions have been asked before, but I am hoping to get some new perspectives and have a few additional questions. Here is the scenario.

My husband and I are Americans. We are currently living in Vancouver, BC. He has a fulltime job in Delta (closer to the US border) that provides us both with health insurance through the BC MSP / provincial system. I am currently a graduate student at UBC. We are temporary residents thanks to my student permit which got him a work permit.

The thing is, Vancouver is incredibly expensive and we don't really like living here very much. We are looking into the possibility of living in Bellingham but commuting to Vancouver. I will likely only have to go to the campus 1 day a week and he will probably be able to get a work schedule where he works only Friday through Sunday.

Does anyone know implications for healthcare? Would we have to forfeit our BC employer-covered healthcare if we are living in the US?

I know that we'd have to pay BC and federal Canadian taxes and also file with the US (but then claim a foreign tax credit... right?). The tax thing doesn't seem like a huge deal.

We have already applied for nexus and are waiting to hear back. My main concern / question right now is the health care one.

I'd also LOVE to hear from anyone who is in or has been in a similar situation about the pros and cons.

Thank you!
Health care is based on residency, so you'll lose provincial health care if you live in the states. Taxes shouldn't be worse, but filing them might be a bit more difficult.

I don't know how fast the nexus card will make boarder crossings, but I wouldn't want to cross the boarder on a regular basis if you have a schedule to meet.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:53 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
I honestly don't feel like it's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada