Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 8,627 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

Our daughter (14 yrs) wants to brush up her French and would like to spend half a school year in Quebec. She was accepted to the best school in Montreal but due to a change of rules by the Montreal school board a few weeks ago, she can only do it if she is in school as of September, i.e. at the begining of the school year. As she cannot start at the begining of the school year, i.e. September, she is not allowed to visit a public English school there!!!

The option that has been offered by the exchange company with whom we are working is to go to Quebec City. Most of what I have read says that QC has no English public schools for people other than Canadians from English speaking parts of the country - we are from Germany!!

Does anyone know of English public schools in QC of good repute? Is there somewhere where I could get more information on them and see their rankings?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 11:45 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
This is for all of the secondary schools, you can use it to evaluate each school you find out about individually. There's been some controversy about the Fraser institute's methodology in ranking the schools, however.

Compare academic rankings and ratings of Québec schools

Old 05-30-2012, 11:53 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promeet View Post
Greetings!

Our daughter (14 yrs) wants to brush up her French and would like to spend half a school year in Quebec. She was accepted to the best school in Montreal but due to a change of rules by the Montreal school board a few weeks ago, she can only do it if she is in school as of September, i.e. at the begining of the school year. As she cannot start at the begining of the school year, i.e. September, she is not allowed to visit a public English school there!!!

The option that has been offered by the exchange company with whom we are working is to go to Quebec City. Most of what I have read says that QC has no English public schools for people other than Canadians from English speaking parts of the country - we are from Germany!!

Does anyone know of English public schools in QC of good repute? Is there somewhere where I could get more information on them and see their rankings?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Québec law states that if you move to Québec from outside the country, and you want to enroll your children into a public school system, you must enroll them in the French school system. The Public English system is only open for English-speaking residents of Québec who have been born there.

You only have two options if you want your child in an English speaking school. Either enroll them in a private English school in Québec, or you can choose a different province to move to. I'm sorry if this isn't the answer you are looking for.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:22 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promeet View Post
Greetings!

I don't understand.

The admission rules are the same for English public schools in Quebec City and Montreal, so if she was OK to go to a public English school in Montreal she should be fine to go to a public English school in Quebec City or anywhere in the province of Quebec.

So I do not see the difference between the situation in the two cities - the law applies the same way in both places.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't understand.

The admission rules are the same for English public schools in Quebec City and Montreal, so if she was OK to go to a public English school in Montreal she should be fine to go to a public English school in Quebec City or anywhere in the province of Quebec.

So I do not see the difference between the situation in the two cities - the law applies the same way in both places.
I'm really not sure how she got any 'ok' from an english public school since that is illegal.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:14 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
If she wants to improve her French, why on earth would she go to an English school?

Old 05-30-2012, 01:26 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I'm really not sure how she got any 'ok' from an english public school since that is illegal.
Although there might be special permissions available for people who want to study here temporarily - such as part of an exchange.

But these would also be available to someone going to Quebec City as much as to Montreal.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:35 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Although there might be special permissions available for people who want to study here temporarily - such as part of an exchange.

But these would also be available to someone going to Quebec City as much as to Montreal.
Yes:

"Eligibility
Under the Charter of the French Language, children in the following three categories may be enrolled in English-language schools:
children who are living in Québec temporarily and who qualify for a temporary authorization to receive instruction in English"

Old 05-30-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Yes:

"Eligibility
Under the Charter of the French Language, children in the following three categories may be enrolled in English-language schools:
children who are living in Québec temporarily and who qualify for a temporary authorization to receive instruction in English"
I bolded the second part of that requirement because that says a lot even though it doesn't sound like much.

Who would qualify for a temporary authorization to receive instruction in English? I would imagine only temporary/exchange students from English speaking countries would, while all others would have to go to the Francophone schools to experience the full Québécois culture.

Of course, the ministry being under a Liberal government may allow others to go to English schools, while a PQ ministry may only allow what I said above.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
I bolded the second part of that requirement because that says a lot even though it doesn't sound like much.

Who would qualify for a temporary authorization to receive instruction in English? I would imagine only temporary/exchange students from English speaking countries would, while all others would have to go to the Francophone schools to experience the full Québécois culture.

Of course, the ministry being under a Liberal government may allow others to go to English schools, while a PQ ministry may only allow what I said above.
No, when I went to English public school in Quebec there were numerous kids form non-English speaking countries who had special permission because their parents worked for a foreign company Quebec wanted in the province or had diplomatic connections. They actually give them out pretty liberally in their sweet heart deals to encourage companies to come here.

Quote:
The Public English system is only open for English-speaking residents of Québec who have been born there.
No, the requirement is just that one of your parents has to have received the majority of their education in English, in Canada. The child doesn't have to be Canadian born, nor Quebec born, and the parent can be from anywhere in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada