U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 12:26 PM

38,894 posts, read 20,190,651 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I decided to vacation in Toronto in early July. I was researching and found out that Canada Day will fall during my trip and was wondering if everything shuts down that day (including tourist attractions and entertainment) or will it be like the US' national holidays with tourist attractions still open for business? Please clarify so that I can plan accordingly. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 12:41 PM

21,961 posts, read 27,403,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Hello,

I decided to vacation in Toronto in early July. I was researching and found out that Canada Day will fall during my trip and was wondering if everything shuts down that day (including tourist attractions and entertainment) or will it be like the US' national holidays with tourist attractions still open for business? Please clarify so that I can plan accordingly. Thanks
As a tourist you won't have too many problems - lots of stuff will be open, especially all of the major attractions. Just don't expect as many opportunities to do shopping - though some shops will also be open. Restaurants and bars will all be open.

Also, if you are in this part of the world on July 1 I highly recommend you spend the day in Ottawa rather than Toronto. I realize it is a five-hour drive east but if you were planning on visiting Ottawa (or Montreal - Ottawa is on the way there) then by all means arrange to be in Ottawa on the 1st. It will be worth your while - trust me.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As a tourist you won't have too many problems - lots of stuff will be open, especially all of the major attractions. Just don't expect as many opportunities to do shopping - though some shops will also be open. Restaurants and bars will all be open.

Also, if you are in this part of the world on July 1 I highly recommend you spend the day in Ottawa rather than Toronto. I realize it is a five-hour drive east but if you were planning on visiting Ottawa (or Montreal - Ottawa is on the way there) then by all means arrange to be in Ottawa on the 1st. It will be worth your while - trust me.
I won't have access to a vehicle so I'll have to use mass transit. Is there a way to get to and from Ottawa via train/bus for the festivities? From my understanding, this is similar to our 4th of July celebration here in the States.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 PM

21,961 posts, read 27,403,107 times
Quote:
I won't have access to a vehicle so I'll have to use mass transit. Is there a way to get to and from Ottawa via train/bus for the festivities? From my understanding, this is similar to our 4th of July celebration here in the States.
Yes, you can get to Ottawa from Toronto via bus and train.

www.greyhound.ca

www.viarail.ca

I also assumed that you actually liked these July 4th type of things. Forgot that some people aren't fond of crowds, noise, etc.

Canada Day in Toronto, though there are some public celebratory events there also, is much more subdued than in Ottawa.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:24 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,502,639 times
Quote:
BTW, I know you were worried about a train strike earlier, just letting you know that's over with.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, you can get to Ottawa from Toronto via bus and train.

www.greyhound.ca

www.viarail.ca

I also assumed that you actually liked these July 4th type of things. Forgot that some people aren't fond of crowds, noise, etc.

Canada Day in Toronto, though there are some public celebratory events there also, is much more subdued than in Ottawa.
Thanks for the useful information. I'll have to confirm train/bus schedules and see if this would be a realistic option for me. Would not mind a day trip into Ottawa and to see how our neighbors to the north celebrate their day
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
BTW, I know you were worried about a train strike earlier, just letting you know that's over with.
Thanks for the info. You have a good memory

Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 PM

489 posts, read 1,052,863 times
A lot of shops will be open on July 1 (which is a Sunday), because they will be observing the holiday on the Monday ( and will be closed), most tourist attraction will be open. A lot of events will be going on that day (Toronto Ribfest, Chin International Picnic, Fireworks and other Canada day events). Plus the Pride parade will also take place on the 1st.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
A lot of shops will be open on July 1 (which is a Sunday), because they will be observing the holiday on the Monday ( and will be closed), most tourist attraction will be open. A lot of events will be going on that day (Toronto Ribfest, Chin International Picnic, Fireworks and other Canada day events). Plus the Pride parade will also take place on the 1st.
Oh yeah ... Just looked at the calendar ... What about July 2nd, when the holiday is actually observed ... Will the city be dead for tourists?

Old 06-02-2012, 04:39 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,145,920 times
You will find plenty to do. Some things will be closed. Many ethnic businesses will be open regardless of the holiday.

Also, the holiday is observed on July 1 (as in celebrations occur on that day). July 2 is the Monday afterward which is a day off for most people.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:59 PM

I guess what I'm trying to clarify is that do Canadians treat their national holidays differently than Americans? For example, on the Fourth of July (closest equivalent to Canada Day) - I could visit Disneyland and other tourist attractions as well as eat in most major restaurants here in Southern California.

On Monday, July 2nd (when Canada Day will be observed), am I going to face limited tourist options due to attractions being closed and limited dining options in Toronto since "it is a day off for most people"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or