U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 AM

5,691 posts, read 6,536,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes I notice. I also notice a lot more bumper stickers regarding Jesus.
I always think I live in a Bible Belt and then when I cross the border it suddenly doesn't seem quite as biblical as I thought it was although I was once in an accident HERE (her fault) with someone driving a vehicle with a "Jesus is my co-pilot" bumper sticker. I wasn't sure whether to be mad or to laugh so I did neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 02:22 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,094,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Only half as many fat people in Canada. The obesity rate in Canada is half of what it is in the USA.

Women in Canada are not afraid to make eye contact with strangers in public places.
Half i say not base on the percentage of each country, do some math then come back to me

Old 01-29-2013, 02:39 PM

21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Half i say not base on the percentage of each country, do some math then come back to me
I think you are right. There is no way that the percentage of obese people in Canada is half that of the U.S. It is generally lower (and this can depend where you are in Canada), but certainly not by half.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:04 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Canadians are getting fatter apparently. However we go by obesity rates. From indexmundi the definition of obese is
"Obesity is defined as an adult having a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater to or equal to 30.0. BMI is calculated by taking a person's weight in kg and dividing it by the person's squared height in meters."
I've just done a quick search and the obesity rates seem all over the map. One site says Mexico is the most obese country with the U.S.second. Others put Tonga as the most obese.
However if just comparing Canada and the U.S. most agree Canada is lower. The stat that would be interesting to me, is the percentage of people who are morbidly obese in each country. Even though I see heavy people here in Canada, I very seldom see the sizes that you see in the states.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I always think I live in a Bible Belt and then when I cross the border it suddenly doesn't seem quite as biblical as I thought it was although I was once in an accident HERE (her fault) with someone driving a vehicle with a "Jesus is my co-pilot" bumper sticker. I wasn't sure whether to be mad or to laugh so I did neither.
Your insurance won't cover you against such an accident. That's an "act of God" exclusion.

As for Obesity rates, here is one comparison chart, using BMI data, but it is questionable how the population is tested. On this chart, the US is slight more than double the Canadian rate. Mexico is a poor second, only slightly higher than the worst of Europe. The US obesity rate would be even higher, if it weren't for all the illegal Mexicans slimming down the average.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/he...health-obesity

Actually, Mexican immigrants to the US are much more likely to be obese, once they get started on American junk food, replacing mamacita's cooking south of the border.

Obesity statistics are highly problematic, because nobody has ever recorded actual heights/weights of a statistically valid sample. The published statistics are most likely from medical charts, which would over-represent the unhealthy and under-represent those with no medical insurance. Other statistics might come from self-declared weights, such as drivers licenses.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-29-2013 at 03:28 PM..

Old 01-29-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Your insurance won't cover you against such an accident. That's an "act of God" exclusion.
Not here

Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,977,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What i notice coming back to the States from Canada is the amount of flags.

You don't really notice it if you live hear but i always wonder what Canadians think or if they even notice?
Yes, that is noticeably different.

Either Americans are more patriotic than Canadians or American society encourages display of patriotism---but yes, there's a noticeable difference.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,140,417 times
Canadians have lots of flags too. Most European nations people don't fly flags. It's only on government buildings pretty much.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Canadians have lots of flags too. Most European nations people don't fly flags. It's only on government buildings pretty much.

I'd have to agree with that. When I was growing up we had the flag on the schoolyard and that was pretty much it. I've noticed many more flags popping up on businesses in the nearest town of any size. Not so much on private homes though - I know of only one and I think that is because the family's daughter married an American who served in either Afghanistan or Iraq.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 PM

15,108 posts, read 13,794,611 times
I recently visited Canada for the first time (Vancouver and Kelowna). The only differences I really noticed were signs and bank receipts being half French and half English. Of course the metric system took a little getting used to, but I was familiar with celsius, so it wasn't an issue.

As far as culture and lifestyle, it didn't seem drastically different than the US, but I found it to be slower paced and a little more laid back and friendly. Granted I live in New Jersey which is faster paced and not as friendly. And the majority of my visit was spent in Kelowna, so my experience could have been different in another part of the country. I also loved the accent.

I was really fascinated learning about current affairs in Canada while watching the CBC news network. While every country has its issues, Canada has it much more together than the US. Overall a very cool country and I hope to visit again soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or