U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 PM

329 posts, read 794,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I was just talking to someone about this the other day. I don't think Canadians are nervous or shy in approaching strangers to ask a question. We are just programmed to say " excuse me, I hate to bother you, but do you have the time?" rather than " do you have the time?"
Our use of sorry and thank you, instead of " uh huh", etc is what gives the impression that Canadians are polite. I'm sure there are parts of the states,probably in the south?? where folks say thank you, but my experience has been an smile and "uh huh" instead.
I remember years ago when I was taking a friend to the U.S. that I had to explain the the " uh huh " was them meaning thank you and that they weren't being rude.

Trust me Canadians have no problem being direct and rudely so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 04:14 PM

166 posts, read 163,933 times
Where in NJ. I went once to Penn Station in NY I guess that was where there was one, but it wasnt the same. I go down to Asbury Park for pizza so I might as well go to NJ for a great donut right? LOL. Thanks for the info and I wish someone would open a franchise in NJ.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:33 PM

2,816 posts, read 5,397,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Yes! Good coffee too. I went there several times when I was visiting. Ironically, they opened one in a town near my home here in New Jersey in January.
There's nothing ironic about that.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 PM

939 posts, read 1,263,920 times
In America you have a wide variety of opinions. You'll hear people in the media who are far left and far right and moderate. Though admittedly, "moderate" in America would correspond to a conservative bias in Canada.

In Canada, you are either a liberal or you are censored / silenced. You're not going to hear someone in the Canadian media talk about how illegal aliens should be shipped home or that George W. Bush was a great president. Only liberals have a voice in the media and are allowed to share their opinions freely with strangers and in public. If you're conservative then you have to be satisfied sharing your opinions on online message boards or at a bar.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:14 PM

15,112 posts, read 13,829,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailL2007 View Post
Where in NJ. I went once to Penn Station in NY I guess that was where there was one, but it wasnt the same. I go down to Asbury Park for pizza so I might as well go to NJ for a great donut right? LOL. Thanks for the info and I wish someone would open a franchise in NJ.
Stockholm. Might be a long ride for a donut though.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 PM

2,260 posts, read 2,144,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
In America you have a wide variety of opinions. You'll hear people in the media who are far left and far right and moderate. Though admittedly, "moderate" in America would correspond to a conservative bias in Canada.

In Canada, you are either a liberal or you are censored / silenced. You're not going to hear someone in the Canadian media talk about how illegal aliens should be shipped home or that George W. Bush was a great president. Only liberals have a voice in the media and are allowed to share their opinions freely with strangers and in public. If you're conservative then you have to be satisfied sharing your opinions on online message boards or at a bar.
What an absolute crock. Try checking out Sun Media (papers across the country) or the National Post, paper formerly controlled by Lord Tubby of Cross Harbour (oops Lord Black).

Old 02-05-2013, 07:27 PM

12,706 posts, read 8,789,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Interesting. I say them all: "huh?", "what's that?", "I'm sorry?", or once in a while "pardon?". They didn't like "huh" though. Of course no disrespect was intended, but it was a very hard habit to break.
Well it was rude of them to point it out to you.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM

12,706 posts, read 8,789,429 times
Quote:

Wow. I second that " absolute crock " statement. Where do you begin with such an misinformed statement?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:01 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,507,501 times
Quote:

Completely ridiculous. Deporting illegal immigrants is common practice in Canada and because we don't border a third world country practically no one in the media talks about illegal immigration because it's not a big issue, there just aren't that many of them and it's not something politicians debate about. It is illegal and remains so. Saying illegal immigrants should be deported is not particularly controversial.

Sun News, Financial Post, and the Fraser institute are all prominent and Conservative. Indeed, I'd say the print newpaper industry in Canada on the whole has a very pro-business slant. Rarely will you see pro-union writing and when editorial boards endorse a candidate, they're either Conservatives or Liberals, rarely will you see an NDP or Green candidate endorsed and Conservative endorsements are more common than Liberal ones.

I've read editorials praising certain Bush policies in Canadian papers (namely deciding to intervene in Iraq, supporting Israel, and his aid policies in Africa). On the whole, though, no one calls him a great president because he was unpopular in America and phenomenally unpopular in the rest of the world. The man alienated everyone and held many views that are not widespread outside of the US, not even amongst "conservatives". He is understandably not terribly popular as a result. He also supremely mismanaged a number of situations that had the potential to have been executed successfully. The man was not very competent administrator and failed to achieve a number of his goals due to that incompetence.

Canada does not censor conservative voices, it's just home to a rather radically foreign political culture and history to that of the USA, despite cultural similarities in other unrelated matters.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:02 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,860,795 times
Quote:

Damn Canadian Liberals are liberal, allowing conservatives to live in Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or