U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 01:32 AM

8,803 posts, read 7,580,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Completely ridiculous. Deporting illegal immigrants is common practice in Canada and because we don't border a third world country practically no one in the media talks about illegal immigration because it's not a big issue, there just aren't that many of them and it's not something politicians debate about. It is illegal and remains so. Saying illegal immigrants should be deported is not particularly controversial.

Sun News, Financial Post, and the Fraser institute are all prominent and Conservative. Indeed, I'd say the print newpaper industry in Canada on the whole has a very pro-business slant. Rarely will you see pro-union writing and when editorial boards endorse a candidate, they're either Conservatives or Liberals, rarely will you see an NDP or Green candidate endorsed and Conservative endorsements are more common than Liberal ones.

I've read editorials praising certain Bush policies in Canadian papers (namely deciding to intervene in Iraq, supporting Israel, and his aid policies in Africa). On the whole, though, no one calls him a great president because he was unpopular in America and phenomenally unpopular in the rest of the world. The man alienated everyone and held many views that are not widespread outside of the US, not even amongst "conservatives". He is understandably not terribly popular as a result. He also supremely mismanaged a number of situations that had the potential to have been executed successfully. The man was not very competent administrator and failed to achieve a number of his goals due to that incompetence.

Canada does not censor conservative voices, it's just home to a rather radically foreign political culture and history to that of the USA, despite cultural similarities in other unrelated matters.
Windsor borders Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 AM

11,265 posts, read 13,157,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Windsor borders Detroit.
OI! Don't kick Detroit while she's down!! lol

Sorry......I think it's just bred into Windsorites to stand up for that ol' lady.

I don't care what anyone says, Detroit is a great city.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 AM

455 posts, read 916,223 times
I swear people from windsor seem to defend detroit more than detroiters do. Definitely more than people from other regions of Michigan do.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:46 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Windsor borders Detroit.
Detroit is a country?

Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 AM

21,946 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Detroit is a country?
I get your point but the legal entity that is the City of Windsor does have a border with the legal entity that is the City of Detroit.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 AM

8,803 posts, read 7,580,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I get your point but the legal entity that is the City of Windsor does have a border with the legal entity that is the City of Detroit.
It was a joke making fun of Detroit. I'm well aware Detroit isn't a country. Lighten up a bit.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:06 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,074,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
I swear people from windsor seem to defend detroit more than detroiters do. Definitely more than people from other regions of Michigan do.
They feel sorry for their northern neighbours.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:18 PM

471 posts, read 764,839 times
Like Canada alot, more similarities than differences. Of course the currency and the leaders are different, not to mention the health care system, but a great place overall..

Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,782,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Does it immediately feel like you've entered another country when you've crossed the border? I'm from Australia but haven't been to Canada. I plan to go on a working holiday there soon though. I've been to the States, and it struck me as pretty different to home but familiar in some ways. Kind of like a bizarro parallel world, like I'd stepped into the TV!

What are the things you notice first/the most? Is the urban form much difference? On streetview Canadian cities look a bit more familiar than most American cities except San Diego.
Their money has a bird on it?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:12 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,326,456 times
One thing I've always wondered about Canada is if Canadian cities and metro areas are denser than American metro areas. Does the government in Canada force more "smart growth" and high-density development?

Also I'm sure Canada has much fewer illegal aliens than the US. I wonder if the Canadian government takes any measure to prevent illegals from accesssing that free health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or