U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 03:56 PM

17,306 posts, read 19,585,657 times

Advertisements

I would say that Toronto and Montreal - the 2 Canadian cities I've been to - are good additions to visiting the east coast of the U.S. and enhancing the overall experience. Niagara Falls is also a must see - especially from the Canadian side.

The similarities between these regions of the U.S. and Canada are much more important than the differences to me. You've got 5 alpha category global cities here. So, it's better viewed as a whole.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 03-10-2013 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 04:18 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,177,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The similarities between these regions of the U.S. and Canada are much more important than the differences to me. You've got 5 alpha category global cities here. So, it's better viewed as a whole.

That's probably how we should all feel about the two countries as a whole.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:31 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,763,388 times
Thumbs up Well said...kudos to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I would say that Toronto and Montreal - the 2 Canadian cities I've been to - are good additions to visiting the east coast of the U.S. and enhancing the overall experience. Niagara Falls is also a must see - especially from the Canadian side.

Totally agree...and what a great reply in saying something great about both the Canadian as well as the U.S. regions. Honestly, sometimes I just won't read anything that I think will end up being a mine is better than yours type of thread.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 03-11-2013, 07:22 PM

469 posts, read 464,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Does it immediately feel like you've entered another country when you've crossed the border? I'm from Australia but haven't been to Canada. I plan to go on a working holiday there soon though. I've been to the States, and it struck me as pretty different to home but familiar in some ways. Kind of like a bizarro parallel world, like I'd stepped into the TV!

What are the things you notice first/the most? Is the urban form much difference? On streetview Canadian cities look a bit more familiar than most American cities except San Diego.
1. Very little to no litter on the ground.
2. Kinder, more friendlier than most americans, because we are too stuck up on ourselves.
3. More hostile drivers, but not as bad as the philadelphia region/new york/tri-state area
4. A lot more pleasant to be around people and can certainly ask questions without getting ignorant retorts
5. More calmer than Americans. As americans, we're so hostile and busy busy that we can care less about tourists.

Source: Myself as a dual citizen Can-Am

Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,856,111 times
One similarity would be love of coffee and donuts. I think Canadians love them even more than we do actually.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:08 PM
FBF

572 posts, read 693,638 times
Canadians are more internationally aware of the world compared to Americans.

And are also somewhat more "modest" about their country and do not shove their nationalism right on the face, as frequently.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:21 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,735,011 times
And people from Canada always over generalize when they talk about Americans.

-winkey face-

Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM
FBF

572 posts, read 693,638 times
I am not Canadian :wink!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:37 AM

630 posts, read 841,740 times
The downtowns and neighborhoods are teaming with people in Canada. They really like to walk longer distant just for a drugstore or a convenient store. In the U.S., downtowns are much less lively because people like to drive even for short distances.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 AM

9,552 posts, read 9,431,995 times
Canadians look silly when they fight!

Star Trek - Kirk vs. Gorn - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or