U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 12:19 AM

800 posts, read 508,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
and i'm not looking down on people or calling people wrong for labeling their fellow humans by skin color i'm just expressing how i personally find really odd.

for example at work a fellow coworker made a comment about me being "the only white boy working that day" i just found it so strange that they said that, and it was also strange because i didn't even realize until than i was the only white boy working that day... it bothered me for like half the day, like wtf does he just walk into a room and just start counting people by race "ok 1 mexican 2 mexican 3 mexican, oh there's an asian over there, omg a family of black people and omg its a white boy!"
Unfortunately we are obsessed with race as a society. I'm glad you are progressive. I do think the merits of individuals should be measured by character. But we pretty much are. For the most part. Dispositioned to classify by race. I'm glad you are forward thi king though sir. I like to think I'm the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 06:13 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,271,603 times
One of the observations that I have made about the US, that you never see in Canada.............

Men hanging around in the parking lot of a Home Depot, or Lowes, hoping to get day work from contractors. Common sight in the US, VERY uncommon in Canada. Why ?

Jim B.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:17 AM

800 posts, read 508,006 times
Illegal immigrants? Mainly mexican I'm willing to bet

Old 05-30-2015, 08:38 AM

12,594 posts, read 15,058,526 times
Generally:

1/ Cleaner
2/ Cities feel safer
3/ Less homeless and poor
4/ Business culture is more formal
5/ More racial and religious tolerance

Old 05-30-2015, 08:56 AM

261 posts, read 203,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Another difference I've personally noticed: Only French immersion in schools in my city. No other choices. I've been told Alberta is different, and Vancouver has started offering Chinese. I compare this to Eugene, OR (which offers French, Spanish and Japanese) or Portland, OR (which offers Spanish, Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese and Russian) and wish we'd offer more.
Do Oregon schools really offer immersion in all these languages, or do they merely offer them as language classes? In any case, Canadian schools do often offer a third language (after French and English or the other way around); when I was in school (in Quebec) I usually saw Spanish and/or German though I'm sure other schools have other options.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:46 AM

19,520 posts, read 20,905,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
Illegal immigrants? Mainly mexican I'm willing to bet
This phenomenon is the source of many of our respective cultural differences. When I become sufficiently impatient with my Canadian friends for their smugness, I propose that we switch borders, and let them live next to Mexico instead of the US...

Old 05-30-2015, 10:17 AM

18,273 posts, read 10,374,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
This phenomenon is the source of many of our respective cultural differences. When I become sufficiently impatient with my Canadian friends for their smugness, I propose that we switch borders, and let them live next to Mexico instead of the US...
But, you must at least consider a less prejudicial position that from the rest of the world's viewpoint, the U.S. is complicit in it's border security problem with Mexico. All you need do is secure that border and treat them as you would any other foreigner entering illegally from any other port of entry. All you need do is charge those employing them appropriately and it will stop.

You have the resources to track a Canadian cow back to the stall it was born in years prior but for some reason you REFUSE to address the cause of your problem being one of accommodation to those who DESIRE illegal Mexicans ranging from middle class to upper class Americans availing themselves of cheap labour to further bolster the capitalistic mantra of "we are entrepreneurs", yeah right, on the backs of slave labour from Mexico your aggra and livestock industry, just for two, enjoy a leg-up with vastly cheaper labour rates that would be deemed "government subsidies" if any other country utilized them to the same degree, if you were being in any way honest with yourself.

To what degree have close to 13 million illegals impacted your labour, union membership, organized labour rates in your country and to what degree has your country encouraged this by creating the false perception they're being pro-active in policing this issue.

I've personally witnessed American intransigence in this regard with watching while lined up waiting to return to the U.S. at the border crossing in Algodones Mx. two border agents who were on coffee break from busting American chops with passport and drug queries, watch as a whole family of Mexicans waded around their control point office from a window overhead with coffees in their hands. They did nothing!

It's a problem for you because you want and encourage them; nothing less.

I have many more personal experience tales from my six winters spent in Yuma watching this debacle close up.

Last edited by BruSan; 05-30-2015 at 10:34 AM..

Old 05-30-2015, 10:40 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,139,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
But, you must at least consider a less prejudicial position that from the rest of the world's viewpoint, the U.S. is complicit in it's border security problem with Mexico. All you need do is secure that border and treat them as you would any other foreigner entering illegally from any other port of entry. All you need do is charge those employing them appropriately and it will stop.

You have the resources to track a Canadian cow back to the stall it was born in years prior but for some reason you REFUSE to address the cause of your problem being one of accommodation to those who DESIRE illegal Mexicans ranging from middle class to upper class Americans availing themselves of cheap labour to further bolster the capitalistic mantra of "we are entrepreneurs", yeah right, on the backs of slave labour from Mexico your aggra and livestock industry, just for two, enjoy a leg-up with vastly cheaper labour rates that would be deemed "government subsidies" if any other country utilized them to the same degree, if you were being in any way honest with yourself.

To what degree have close to 13 million illegals impacted your labour, union membership, organized labour rates in your country and to what degree has your country encouraged this by creating the false perception they're being pro-active in policing this issue.

I've personally witnessed American intransigence in this regard with watching while lined up waiting to return to the U.S. at the border crossing in Algodones Mx. two border agents who were on coffee break from busting American chops with passport and drug queries, watch as a whole family of Mexicans waded around their control point office from a window overhead with coffees in their hands. They did nothing!

It's a problem for you because you want and encourage them; nothing less.

I have many more personal experience tales from my six winters spent in Yuma watching this debacle close up.
Excellent Post Brusan!! I've been to Cali, Ariz and N.M and the fact is it is illegal Mexican labour doing the jobs that American natives just won't do down there. I'm not saying Canada wouldn't have the same approach if the roles were reversed but lets call a spade a spade and you did just that!

Old 05-30-2015, 11:12 AM

18,273 posts, read 10,374,392 times
Fusion; the faux outrage shown by various state governor's over this corruption is nothing short of comical with each and every one of them knowing; were they to take effective action, their economy would tank overnight.

Just take the huge aggri-business around the city of Yuma as an example with a legislation change roll-out date/time of midnight Jan of 2009 (if memory serves) in the days immediately leading up to that perceived crack-down every single rental home in the areas where the illegals were know to live experienced a complete gutting of anything that would garner value back in Mexico ......windows, doors, plumbing fixtures, even the copper wiring was stripped from those places and loaded onto pick-ups, trailers, trunks of cars, anything with wheels and then summarily carted across the border.

Small business's of all kinds were closing down like a tsunami wave with them realizing they could not remain in business without illegal labour.

The heavy steel irrigation canal gates were ripped out and taken for scrap value.

Tell me all those thousands of land-lords who owned those homes could not have been policed and required to ask for documentation before renting to even more thousands of illegals.

We drove around those gutted areas and it was exactly like those pictures of homes you see in the city of Detroit.

Land lords renting to illegals and charging them a higher rate to forestall reporting them perhaps got what they deserved in spades.

In very short time indeed the legislation was found to be just another example of pandering window dressing and everything slowly returned to normal.

This whole meme of ACUSING Mexico as being the problem has been a complete farce from the get-go.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:13 PM

5,731 posts, read 3,203,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
One of the observations that I have made about the US, that you never see in Canada.............

Men hanging around in the parking lot of a Home Depot, or Lowes, hoping to get day work from contractors. Common sight in the US, VERY uncommon in Canada. Why ?

Jim B.

I'll bite: um, because they want to work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or