U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 08:57 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,153,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Don't confuse an Internet forum populated by trolls and other social misfits with the real world, fusion2. I lived in the United States for a few years and not once did any of the Americans I encountered start spouting off about any of the things you've recited here. I might have brought up one or two of them myself, but the Americans? Nope. Not once.
Absolutely I agree Maclock and have referenced such before.. I have practically always had positive experiences with Americans (down to earth, friendly and even humble) in real life and have been to probably 15-17 States and counting!! Some of those on these forums however - ummmm yeah lol... With that said, Canada does many things well - we shouldn't be afraid or ashamed to say what we do well in addition to being open to what we can and should improve.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-30-2015 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 05:51 AM

21,960 posts, read 27,383,424 times
My expériences and those of my family in the US and with Americans anywhere have almost all been positive. Of course there are jerks everywhere but no more in the US than in Canada.

My few run-ins with American jerks have never been related to the fact that I was Canadian or French Canadian.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:58 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,035,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Absolutely I agree Maclock and have referenced such before.. I have practically always had positive experiences with Americans (down to earth, friendly and even humble) in real life and have been to probably 15-17 States and counting!! Some of those on these forums however - ummmm yeah lol... With that said, Canada does many things well - we shouldn't be afraid or ashamed to say what we do well in addition to being open to what we can and should improve.
I know you had mentioned such experiences before, but the problem is that some Canadians internalise the dribble offered by these trolls and then use it to characterise all Americans. Doing so doesn't do anyone any good, and I figured that you'd clarify for the benefit of all before things get a chance to degenerate further. Thank you very much for doing so.

In my experience, many Americans scarcely spare a thought for Canada. I know that someone recently mentioned that on this forum, and it rings true for me. This news may infuriate some Canadians, but that's how it goes. Canadians need to understand, however, that many Americans are so intensely local that they don't seem to focus on things outside of their own cities or counties. It's something unusual I noticed there, but that's how many of them seem to roll. It's a different country, so they do things differently. About that, there should be no great surprise.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
I know you had mentioned such experiences before, but the problem is that some Canadians internalise the dribble offered by these trolls and then use it to characterise all Americans. Doing so doesn't do anyone any good, and I figured that you'd clarify for the benefit of all before things get a chance to degenerate further. Thank you very much for doing so.

In my experience, many Americans scarcely spare a thought for Canada. I know that someone recently mentioned that on this forum, and it rings true for me. This news may infuriate some Canadians, but that's how it goes. Canadians need to understand, however, that many Americans are so intensely local that they don't seem to focus on things outside of their own cities or counties. It's something unusual I noticed there, but that's how many of them seem to roll. It's a different country, so they do things differently. About that, there should be no great surprise.
The areas of focus for people in most of Canada seem to go like this:

1 immediate vicinity
2 US
3 wider world
4 other parts of Canada

There are variants of course. Québec and foreign born people would have a different list of course.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:08 AM

The focus list above dominates IMO.

Here is Quebec:

1 immediate vicinity
2 rest of Québec (maybe Acadia registers too)
3 US / wider world (includes France and francophonie)
4 Anglo Canada

Old 05-31-2015, 06:10 AM

For the foreign born

1 immediate vicinity
2 country of origin
3 US / wider world
4 other parts of Canada

Old 05-31-2015, 07:09 AM

5,746 posts, read 3,212,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

1 immediate vicinity
2 US
3 wider world
4 other parts of Canada

There are variants of course. Québec and foreign born people would have a different list of course.
Quote:
The focus list above dominates IMO.

Here is Quebec:

1 immediate vicinity
2 rest of Québec (maybe Acadia registers too)
3 US / wider world (includes France and francophonie)
4 Anglo Canada
Quote:
For the foreign born

1 immediate vicinity
2 country of origin
3 US / wider world
4 other parts of Canada
I think you've pretty much nailed it, A.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Oh I don't internalize it Maclock and have the ability to put things into perspective so don't worry.. If I was anti-American or if there were latent pangs of internalized anger/angst towards America I simply wouldn't visit the country and that is far from practice I visit often and often enjoy it and the people.. Not too many Canadians have been on the fields of Antietam or in the Bisti Badlands - i'm one of them and you'll be far more likely to see me at these places than A premium outlets

As for America not giving Canada much of a second thought - that's ok... Whatever thoughts they have are usually positive and quite a few of them visit us.. In Toronto we get 2.18 million of them per year and happy to have em!

Old 05-31-2015, 10:44 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,035,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh I don't internalize it Maclock and have the ability to put things into perspective so don't worry..
I wasn't referring specifically to you, of course.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:

1 immediate vicinity
2 US
3 wider world
4 other parts of Canada

I dunno AJ... I see A LOT of QC lic plates in Toronto and I mean A LOT

If I don't see an Ontario plate on the road in the GTA it will be this order

1) Quebec - easily number 1
2) New York State
3) Michigan State
4) Illinois
5) Pennsylvania and Ohio
6) Alberta

Of course the U.S for me is just so close.. I've mentioned this before - an 8-9 hour drive from T.O will get me to NYC, Chicago, Philly, Boston, Providence, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit etc etc.. An 8-9 hour drive from Toronto in Canada will get me to Ottawa and Montreal ... Quebec city is a stretch..

If Halifax, Regina, St John's, Calgary, Vancouver etc etc were an 8-9 hour drive from me I'd visit them like I would U.S cities. Of course, flying in Canada is also expensive so people usually travel more to visit family than for recreation simply due to cost not lack of interest. Most people I know in Toronto have made multiple trips to Montreal in their life.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-31-2015 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or