U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 12:23 PM

800 posts, read 507,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh boy - its all going downhill fast.....
You never had to defend your race or face racial decisions in your life. So this downhill. Is really just some people's lives. I am absolutely used to it. At least this other person is not resorting tp 1st grade racial insults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 12:24 PM

13,356 posts, read 7,014,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
And that's ok. Becauss we all know what group of people commits the most racial hate crimes in North America.
Black-on-white crime is far more prevalent than white-on-black. Whites can and often are targeted for their race. How about the "knockout game"? These cases tend not to be prosecuted as hate crimes, because the anti-white nature of crimes is often overlooked, whereas when any possible hate crime basis enters into a white-on-black crime, it comes to the forefront.

Quote:
It's most likely because you never had to deal with it growing up in North America. Or when you do you always have the majority on your side.
Whites are only 60% or so of the country's population these days. All projections have that figure going below 50% eventually. Whites in South Africa are also not the majority, not even close. Yet they face the same kind of anti-white rhetoric, and the incidence of anti-white violence is extreme.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:27 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
Quote:
You never had to defend your race or face racial decisions in your life. So this downhill. Is really just some people's lives.
You make a lot of assumptions about not having to 'defend' my skin tone or differences in basic physical features (note you will never get me to make a distinction between races in the human race because they simply don't exist). At any rate - in greater society at large you are right - in my ambient environment growing up in the J/F area of Toronto from the time I was 4 years old when we moved there until 19 when I finished High School well yes - I was a visible minority and often the only white kid in my class and needless to say there were challenges to this but overall a positive experience....

Just a suggestion though for the sake of other posters.. Maybe another thread creation more linked to this topic for further discussion...

Old 05-31-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Black-on-white crime is far more prevalent than white-on-black. Whites can and often are targeted for their race. How about the "knockout game"? These cases tend not to be prosecuted as hate crimes, because the anti-white nature of crimes is often overlooked, whereas when any possible hate crime basis enters into a white-on-black crime, it comes to the forefront.

Whites are only 60% or so of the country's population these days. All projections have that figure going below 50% eventually. Whites in South Africa are also not the majority, not even close. Yet they face the same kind of anti-white rhetoric, and the incidence of anti-white violence is extreme.
I can see what you are saying. I can also tell you I do feel comfortable with other races. I am not hostile to any race. Unless I feel I need to be.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You make a lot of assumptions about not having to 'defend' my skin tone or differences in basic physical features (note you will never get me to make a distinction between races in the human race because they simply don't exist). At any rate - in greater society at large you are right - in my ambient environment growing up in the J/F area of Toronto from the time I was 4 years old when we moved there until 19 when I finished High School well yes - I was a visible minority and often the only white kid in my class and needless to say there were challenges to this but overall a positive experience....

Just a suggestion though for the sake of other posters.. Maybe another thread creation more linked to this topic for further discussion...
if a person is white. Black. Asian. Indian. Latino. Whatever. They obviously are not the same Looking. Lol. But I know what you mean. You judge based on character. I agree. I think most of Canada does. Probably more than America. one of the things I like about Canada. Race doesn't get in the way as much. But it still does just not to the epic proportions that the usa seems to get into every month.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:55 PM

19,521 posts, read 20,892,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

Yes, but you may be assured that whites control considerably more than 60% of the wealth in both of those countries. I am not suggesting that those facts alone justify violence of any kind. I am suggesting that it may be a contributing factor.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:57 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,150,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
An absurd comparison. Population density, ethnic groups, proximity to Mexican border, history of slavery-based economy in the south, confederation vs federal political dichotomy, regional nature and size of earliy colonial migrations from Britain to the Americas: these factors, and a host of others, make such a comparison completely unworkable. When you talk about Canadian diversity - with the exception of Quebec - which is not by any means a settled question -- you are talking about neighborhoods or ethnic pockets within a few metropolitan areas. In the US, you have to take into account massive numbers of immigrant GROUPS. The current population of Canada, for example, is about 35 million. The current number of Hispanic Americans is over 55 million, of African Americans 45 million, asian Americans 20 million, etc.

In addition, California has a population of about 40 million. That is more than all of Canada. New york metro area has 20 million; LA 10 million, Chicago 8 million....

Los Angeles public schools serve nearly 700,000 students, of whom 72% are Hispanic...

New York public schools serve over one million students, of whom 40% are hispanic, 30% are black, 15% are Asian, and 14% are white. 41% of New York students live in homes where a language other than English is spoken. Now that is diversity!

If you want to discuss diversity, you have to bring something to the table which can be compared. These numbers dwarf anything in the Canadian experience. With all due respect, nothing you have posted qualifies you to discuss diversity, or to compare the demographic and cultural differences in our two countries.
Yeledaf, I bring you attention to the poster's name. Me thinks this just might be our regular friend from under the bridge. lol

Old 05-31-2015, 11:25 PM

19,521 posts, read 20,892,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Yeledaf, I bring you attention to the poster's name. Me thinks this just might be our regular friend from under the bridge. lol
Oh dear...

Calling Great Big Billy Goat Gruff!

Old 05-31-2015, 11:27 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,150,322 times
lol!!

http://www.chrisbeetles.com/gallery/...ered-his-horns

Old 06-01-2015, 06:51 AM

5,711 posts, read 3,197,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
An absurd comparison. Population density, ethnic groups, proximity to Mexican border, history of slavery-based economy in the south, confederation vs federal political dichotomy, regional nature and size of earliy colonial migrations from Britain to the Americas: these factors, and a host of others, make such a comparison completely unworkable. When you talk about Canadian diversity - with the exception of Quebec - which is not by any means a settled question -- you are talking about neighborhoods or ethnic pockets within a few metropolitan areas. In the US, you have to take into account massive numbers of immigrant GROUPS. The current population of Canada, for example, is about 35 million. The current number of Hispanic Americans is over 55 million, of African Americans 45 million, asian Americans 20 million, etc.

In addition, California has a population of about 40 million. That is more than all of Canada. New york metro area has 20 million; LA 10 million, Chicago 8 million....

Los Angeles public schools serve nearly 700,000 students, of whom 72% are Hispanic...

New York public schools serve over one million students, of whom 40% are hispanic, 30% are black, 15% are Asian, and 14% are white. 41% of New York students live in homes where a language other than English is spoken. Now that is diversity!

If you want to discuss diversity, you have to bring something to the table which can be compared. These numbers dwarf anything in the Canadian experience. With all due respect, nothing you have posted qualifies you to discuss diversity, or to compare the demographic and cultural differences in our two countries.
Excellent post!

Many Canadians, though well-intentioned, really have NO idea. Comparing Canada and the US in regards to diversity and prejudice is like comparing apples with kumquats. Pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or