U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 04:39 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,186,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think Canada seems a bit more serendipitous than the US. Like things just "randomly" happen there more, I feel like.

The US is very rigid and you have to push really hard even to make little things happen.
Can you provide example(s)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 05:12 PM

3,020 posts, read 2,709,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I tripped over the doorway into my house. Fell over my wife in the process. 9 months later a son was born. These types of accidents just don't happen in the States. Down there you have to push really hard for things like this to happen.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:14 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,736,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well for one thing I notice people are more likely to randomly talk to you in Canada, despite popular belief of Canadians being cold and reserved. And class boundaries are less rigid there. In the US people "stick to their own kind" more I think.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:20 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,186,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
I tripped over the doorway into my house. Fell over my wife in the process. 9 months later a son was born. These types of accidents just don't happen in the States. Down there you have to push really hard for things like this to happen.

Quote:
Well for one thing I notice people are more likely to randomly talk to you in Canada, despite popular belief of Canadians being cold and reserved. And class boundaries are less rigid there. In the US people "stick to their own kind" more I think.
hmm interesting... I find people open and friendly in the U.S but maybe its just because I don't have the i'm going to work life sucks look on my face lol....

Old 06-01-2015, 07:26 PM

21,984 posts, read 27,463,390 times
Quote:
I've always observed the exact opposite.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:35 PM

12,727 posts, read 8,814,434 times
Quote:
My wife is from the States, and about 1/3 of the town's population where I grew up is also from the USA. As a result, I have a lot of American friends. One of the major differences Americans notice is that you have to take your shoes off when you enter someone's home. A friend just the other day told me about her first experience visiting her father-in-law for the first time in Canada. She was in the house 30 seconds before he yelled at her to take her shoes off.

Another thing is anti-Americanism. There's no such thing as anti-Canadianism in the USA, or at least not to the same widespread degree. My wife on a number of occasions has had to deal with the tired old "Americans are so stupid" kind of comments right in front of her. Typically by people who don't realize she's American.

It's really hard to compare because there are a lot of different cultures within Canada and the USA, but from my experience, recycling seems to be a lot bigger in Canada. Organic food and the Farmer's market seems to be a lot bigger in Canada. Same goes for the No GMO movment, though, I live in BC so maybe Alberta is a lot different.

Highways are slower in BC than than the USA. Not sure if BC is representative of Canada in that regard.

Probably the biggest difference between Canada and the USA is high school sports, and to a lesser degree college sports. An American family I know moved to Canada, and when their son had his first high school basket ball game, they showed up an hour early with all the usual celebratory paraphernalia hoping to find a good parking spot before the massive crowd showed up. Instead, there were a couple of girl friends and maybe a couple of parents that drove their kids. By contrast, back in the USA, more than half the town would show up to watch the game, and people would pay to actually watch. Coaches also get paid in the USA.
The shoes thing is true and has been discussed on CD before, with some Americans, saying they do the same. It is more prevalent in Canada though.

" typically people that don't know she's American". You mean some people say that in front of her knowing she's American?!! Wow, talk about rude.

Highways slower? Do you mean regardless of the speed limit that people drive faster in the US? It really varies by state and province. For example B.C. highest speed limit of 120 KM per hour is higher than California's 112 KM per hour.

In reality, I find people drive faster than the posted speed limit of course. Again my experience tells me ,it really depends where in Canada or the US you are driving.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is such a personal thing. I find people talk to me easily in both countries. That said, there is a Canadian wall if a stranger starts probing about your religion or politics.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I think Canada seems a bit more serendipitous than the US. Like things just "randomly" happen there more, I feel like.

The US is very rigid and you have to push really hard even to make little things happen.
???

Old 06-01-2015, 09:54 PM

800 posts, read 511,393 times
Quote:
My wife is from the States, and about 1/3 of the town's population where I grew up is also from the USA. As a result, I have a lot of American friends. One of the major differences Americans notice is that you have to take your shoes off when you enter someone's home. A friend just the other day told me about her first experience visiting her father-in-law for the first time in Canada. She was in the house 30 seconds before he yelled at her to take her shoes off.

Another thing is anti-Americanism. There's no such thing as anti-Canadianism in the USA, or at least not to the same widespread degree. My wife on a number of occasions has had to deal with the tired old "Americans are so stupid" kind of comments right in front of her. Typically by people who don't realize she's American.

It's really hard to compare because there are a lot of different cultures within Canada and the USA, but from my experience, recycling seems to be a lot bigger in Canada. Organic food and the Farmer's market seems to be a lot bigger in Canada. Same goes for the No GMO movment, though, I live in BC so maybe Alberta is a lot different.

Highways are slower in BC than than the USA. Not sure if BC is representative of Canada in that regard.

Probably the biggest difference between Canada and the USA is high school sports, and to a lesser degree college sports. An American family I know moved to Canada, and when their son had his first high school basket ball game, they showed up an hour early with all the usual celebratory paraphernalia hoping to find a good parking spot before the massive crowd showed up. Instead, there were a couple of girl friends and maybe a couple of parents that drove their kids. By contrast, back in the USA, more than half the town would show up to watch the game, and people would pay to actually watch. Coaches also get paid in the USA.
Yeah the sports thing is big. It's like Americans like to see their athletes succeed at a young age. CanadIan Olympic athletes complain they get no funding. Even the basketball team. Lol. Nba players probably going to have to fund that team. So in essence. The usa is really fundING canadian basketball. Don't even get me started on football. Even in hockey. Unless u in the ohl or something. No one supports you other than your family. When stamkos was in high school only a few dozwn cam to watch him. And he was a prodigy in a good ole canadian sport.I think the usa love bringing people up. Just to tear them down. But they do love seeing people rise from obscurity. Canadians don't like to invest in that type of thing though. Unless they already proven superstars. Iike making the pros in the US.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:14 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,736,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Do you have a French accent at all when you speak English? That could explain why you are treated so well there, Americans love European-sounding accents. Also I think when you are on vacation in general, people pick up on your positive mood and are more receptive to you.

Then again, I live in one of the most reserved and unfriendly American states. The South and Midwest are definitely much warmer and communal IMO than the West and Northeast in that sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or