U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 07:18 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,448,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I wonder how this particular difference came to be. Is the standard really different in Canada compared to the US? It would feel weird to take off your shoes the moment you step into someone else's house, especially if it's the first time you've ever been there. I would not take my shoes off unless it was suggested (or requested).

This is not the first time I've heard this. Or noticed it. A Canadian friend I have who visited me here and stayed at my (parents') house walked around barefoot much of the time. I wouldn't have been comfortable doing that in someone else's house. I would have at least worn socks.
Yeah. I can't imagine not taking my shoes off in my or anyone else's home. This probably came from the cold weather, and not tracking snow and slush and mid around the floor.

Come to think of it, though. It's still unbelievably weird and dirty-sounding to me to just walk around an indoor home with shoes, even if it's 25C year round. There's so much gunk and sand on the ground that just becomes a pain for your flooring and hygiene no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 07:39 PM

13,358 posts, read 7,029,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Yeah. I can't imagine not taking my shoes off in my or anyone else's home. This probably came from the cold weather, and not tracking snow and slush and mid around the floor.
Ha! I lol'd reading. I do believe you're just pulling my leg with that suggestion. I know how you Canadians are with that kind of thing.

I also think Europe tends to be more like Canada in this respect. The standard is to remove your shoes there, as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
Come to think of it, though. It's still unbelievably weird and dirty-sounding to me to just walk around an indoor home with shoes, even if it's 25C year round. There's so much gunk and sand on the ground that just becomes a pain for your flooring and hygiene no matter what.
I thought that would be a primary concern for those who are accustomed to taking their shoes off. For me, taking my shoes off when entering someone else's house would seem like I'd be making myself too much at home, as it were.

I wouldn't mind being expected to take my shoes off in someone else's house. Actually, I think I would prefer it. It would just take a little getting used to. I'm not sure why it's acceptable to keep our shoes on here, while it's unacceptable to do it elsewhere, but it probably has something to do with us being uptight, self-conscious, unimposing, distant, standoffish, or something like that. So yeah, relaxing that would be desirable.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:43 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,448,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Ha! I lol'd reading. I do believe you're just pulling my leg with that suggestion. I know how you Canadians are with that kind of thing.

I also think Europe tends to be more like Canada in this respect. The standard is to remove your shoes there, as well, if I'm not mistaken.

I thought that would be a primary concern for those who are accustomed to taking their shoes off. For me, taking my shoes off when entering someone else's house would seem like I'd be making myself too much at home, as it were.

I wouldn't mind being expected to take my shoes off in someone else's house. Actually, I think I would prefer it. It would just take a little getting used to. I'm not sure why it's acceptable to keep our shoes on here, while it's unacceptable to do it elsewhere, but it probably has something to do with us being uptight, self-conscious, unimposing, distant, standoffish, or something like that. So yeah, relaxing that would be desirable.
But do most people really just walk around with their outdoor shoes on at home? Not a change of shoes or something? How often do you have to vacuum or sweep? I'm genuinely curious.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:54 PM

13,358 posts, read 7,029,060 times
Quote:
But do most people really just walk around with their outdoor shoes on at home? Not a change of shoes or something? How often do you have to vacuum or sweep? I'm genuinely curious.
No, of course not. This is just for guests.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:59 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,721,222 times
I live in Minnesota and pretty much everyone takes their shoes off at home, especially when going to another persons home.

I think its because of the climate, in winter your shoes will get hella dirty so you take your shoes off right away... when spring/summer comes around everyone is used to taking off their shoes so they just keep doing it.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:30 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,720,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I live in Minnesota and pretty much everyone takes their shoes off at home, especially when going to another persons home.

I think its because of the climate, in winter your shoes will get hella dirty so you take your shoes off right away... when spring/summer comes around everyone is used to taking off their shoes so they just keep doing it.
We do that here in Oregon, too. Maybe it's a northern thing?

Old 06-04-2015, 08:34 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
The traditional prevalence of carpeting in homes as a floor covering also likely has something to do with it.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:20 PM

6,513 posts, read 4,085,618 times
Quote:
The only people I know in Southern California who insist on everyone's taking their shoes off at the door are Asians, whose culture demands it. It's almost always dry here; a quick scrape of your shoes on the doormat and nothing to speak of gets tracked in. Pretty sure we don't vacuum/sweep any more than anyone else. About once a week?

Old 06-04-2015, 11:32 PM

3,020 posts, read 2,697,173 times
The reason we here in Canada demand that you take your shoes off is because Canada is God's country. You are standing on holy ground, so you must take your shoes off when visiting.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:17 AM

5,746 posts, read 3,207,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
We do that here in Oregon, too. Maybe it's a northern thing?
I don't know. I've lived in the US for a long time, both in an upper Midwest state (Michigan) and now in the South. I've never found taking off one's shoes NOT to be the norm, in either region. I've always done it, and most people I know do the same. It's possible that Southerners are a little more relaxed about it (?), but it's still not the standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or