U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2015, 02:42 PM
 
18,280 posts, read 10,380,277 times
Reputation: 13342

Advertisements

Oh boy; popcorn and Keith's with gleeful anticipation of what's to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2015, 06:09 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,721,222 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh boy; popcorn and Keith's with gleeful anticipation of what's to come.
Oh yay! drama!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2015, 06:36 PM
 
25 posts, read 19,311 times
Reputation: 64
Less Racism. At least in MY experiences in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2015, 04:30 AM
 
34,389 posts, read 41,490,319 times
Reputation: 29865
Differences?
Less political obsession in Canada, nothing like Limbaugh/Beck/Jones/Levine and i havent seen anything that compares with the FOX political opinion channel. Nobody cares what your political views are and if you insist on making them known you;ll be talking to yourself a lot.
Also a total disconnect when it comes to guns,Canadians in general dont have/own them and dont talk about the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 12:36 AM
 
Location: Vernon, British Columbia
3,020 posts, read 2,697,173 times
Reputation: 2132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Differences?
Less political obsession in Canada, nothing like Limbaugh/Beck/Jones/Levine and i havent seen anything that compares with the FOX political opinion channel. Nobody cares what your political views are and if you insist on making them known you;ll be talking to yourself a lot.
Also a total disconnect when it comes to guns,Canadians in general dont have/own them and dont talk about the subject.
Oh? Never heard of Ezra Levant?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nARIP90l9Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 01:39 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,175 posts, read 1,753,611 times
Reputation: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Oh? Never heard of Ezra Levant?
Sure, I've heard of him. You cannot live in Alberta for any length of time and not hear of him.

That doesn't mean that Albertans, as a whole, support him or his views. He has done a few good things--he handed the Alberta Human Rights Commission its a** on a platter about ten years ago, over the Mohammad cartoons in Jyllands-Posten, which he subsequently republished in the Western Standard--but he's a little too extreme, even for Albertans, on most issues.

Mr. Levant seems to want to be Canada's Rush Limbaugh. Okay, fine, he can do that. But just as Limbaugh can only persuade voters, so can Levant. He holds no sway over Canadian politics. He is just a commentator--nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Montreal
579 posts, read 468,603 times
Reputation: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Differences?
Less political obsession in Canada, nothing like Limbaugh/Beck/Jones/Levine and i havent seen anything that compares with the FOX political opinion channel. Nobody cares what your political views are and if you insist on making them known you;ll be talking to yourself a lot.
Also a total disconnect when it comes to guns,Canadians in general dont have/own them and dont talk about the subject.
That is, unless you live in Quebec for any significant amount of time... in which case Quebec is obsessed not so much about federal politics but about provincial politics.

Then again, to what extent can it explain the cluelessness of Canadians about politics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Vernon, British Columbia
3,020 posts, read 2,697,173 times
Reputation: 2132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Sure, I've heard of him. You cannot live in Alberta for any length of time and not hear of him.

That doesn't mean that Albertans, as a whole, support him or his views. He has done a few good things--he handed the Alberta Human Rights Commission its a** on a platter about ten years ago, over the Mohammad cartoons in Jyllands-Posten, which he subsequently republished in the Western Standard--but he's a little too extreme, even for Albertans, on most issues.

Mr. Levant seems to want to be Canada's Rush Limbaugh. Okay, fine, he can do that. But just as Limbaugh can only persuade voters, so can Levant. He holds no sway over Canadian politics. He is just a commentator--nothing more.
I have many in-laws and friends living in the USA, both Republican and Democrats, and only 1 of them ever listens to Rush Limbaugh. The media over-hypes his influence down there. Canada is not less politically obsessed in my opinion, though I think the person who stated this meant that "Canada has less diversity of opinion politically speaking." People somehow think that anyone who agrees with you is normal,and anyone who disagrees is "obsessed" or maybe "possessed," deserving to be roasted alive for their heretical views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Brossard
66 posts, read 109,242 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
That is, unless you live in Quebec for any significant amount of time... in which case Quebec is obsessed not so much about federal politics but about provincial politics.

Then again, to what extent can it explain the cluelessness of Canadians about politics?
It really isn't any different in Quebec, it may seem like that from the outside but generally people in the province avoid discussing politics in casual conversation or at gatherings. If anything they are atleast a bit more politically-obsessed though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 03:39 PM
 
457 posts, read 508,021 times
Reputation: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Does it immediately feel like you've entered another country when you've crossed the border? I'm from Australia but haven't been to Canada. I plan to go on a working holiday there soon though. I've been to the States, and it struck me as pretty different to home but familiar in some ways. Kind of like a bizarro parallel world, like I'd stepped into the TV!

What are the things you notice first/the most? Is the urban form much difference? On streetview Canadian cities look a bit more familiar than most American cities except San Diego.
The racist crap that I get hit with almost instantaneously is more OVERT than covert; Canadians say more blatant, stupid racist things to my face and I want to hit them with my car more. Not more than New Mexico - but the question was "overall."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top