Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 06:57 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,373,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What are the things you notice first/the most? Is the urban form much difference? On streetview Canadian cities look a bit more familiar than most American cities except San Diego.
When I go to Canada I always wonder, where did all the illegal Mexicans go?
As far as urban differences, fewer ghettos with large number of blacks. Vancouver BC has these large glass faced condo high rises that you really don't see in any US cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 08:25 PM

395 posts, read 859,309 times
Meh a great man once said, Film is just like real life, with all the adult parts edited out. This is how canada and america compare. If you ignore all the adult parts of life and think like a child than sure there identical. But once you become an adult you just see things that are true signs of where you live. How you interact with your co workers, the politics, your dreams, your family etc.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:28 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,628 times
Quote:
By 'granola' I assume you mean more hippie, less into looking flashy/fashionable, material wealth.
But they are every bit as self-conscious and annoying in their own way. And their pains to look like they don't care about -- or often dislike -- dressing in a preppy (or whatever) style points to the fact that they go to equally ridiculous lengths to cultivate their granola images. The preppies (or whomever) and the granolas are two sides of the same coin, to be honest. They are all just trying to fit in with their peer group. Most of them are privileged children from middle class backgrounds with too much time and money on their hands. Apologies to you, Trimac 20, as I am straying off topic here.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:44 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
But they are every bit as self-conscious and annoying in their own way. And their pains to look like they don't care about -- or often dislike -- dressing in a preppy (or whatever) style points to the fact that they go to equally ridiculous lengths to cultivate their granola images. The preppies (or whomever) and the granolas are two sides of the same coin, to be honest. They are all just trying to fit in with their peer group. Most of them are privileged children from middle class backgrounds with too much time and money on their hands. Apologies to you, Trimac 20, as I am straying off topic here.
That's it...like I say, 'alternative' is just 'alternative mainstream' when it comes to dress, fashion, music. Having pink hair is not 'individual' if you saw your favourite indie rock star sporting it.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:31 AM

218 posts, read 506,621 times
Does Canada feel any less materialistic or more relaxed than the US, like Europe?

Old 06-04-2012, 03:54 AM

395 posts, read 859,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
Does Canada feel any less materialistic or more relaxed than the US, like Europe?
I'm pretty sure we got both extremes in the country, those that won't even use the internet out of fear of google, and those that move from bengladesh, just to live like the cats on jershey shore.

I do think people are slightly less aware of money for better or worst, interest rates, don't seem to mean alot to people unless there heavily in debt. Which from what I understand is far more commonly understood in the states. Maybe I just happen to live in a rural area were it's a bit more extreme, but people here have wacky ideas what an investment is.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:11 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times
One man's impression: more civilized, less crime, traditions treasured and preserved, women more feminine.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:53 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,860 times
The traffic lights are painted yellow. Though that's the case in much of the eastern 3/4 of the US, and isn't the case in the Maritimes and Quebec.

Oh yeah and Tim Hortons everywhere, the streets tend to have less potholes too I've noticed.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:41 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Are roundabouts more common in Canada or equally rare as in the US?

By 'granola' I assume you mean more hippie, less into looking flashy/fashionable, material wealth.

It's kind of like the Australia and NZ comparison, with NZ obviously being our Canada.
There is no discernable difference in the prevalence of roundabouts on one side of the border vs. the other. As highway transportation is generally a state or provincial responsibility in North America, whether there are roundabouts or not will generally depend on the state/province you are in, not the country.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:03 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
between large cities, much lower percentage of Latinos and blacks. higher percentage of East Asians, and south Asian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada