Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 10:51 AM

18,494 posts, read 15,389,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Canadians look silly when they fight!

Star Trek - Kirk vs. Gorn - YouTube
No they don't

Canadian Soldiers in Firefight against Insurgents |WARNING GRAPHIC| - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 06:05 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,327,200 times
My perspective is a bit different from some, because my mother was Canadian and from a fairly early age I was used to dealing with Canadians and being around them. That said, these are only my opinions.

Canadians seem much better informed about the world in general. Americans tend to be more nationalistic and isolationist. I dare say that Canadians know more about America than Americans know about Canada. I cringe whenever I see a television program say, for example, "Toronto, Canada", as if they have no idea what province it is in, or that this is irrelevant information. I never hear anyone say, "Los Angeles, America".

Someone mentioned the American south - the area where I grew up. Having a Canadian mother was a big bonus, because she didn't have the kind of racial baggage that most American southerners had in the 1960s. She gave me a perspective different from the prevailing view, which was almost universally prejudicial.

Regarding politics, Canadians will discuss the subject, but they don't seem to have the firmly entrenched prejudices that many Americans do. They tend to consider all sides more often. I have noticed that one thing that ruffles many Canadian feathers rather quickly is the subject of Quebec. My grandfather, who seldom commented on anything politically other than his general disdain for all politicians, got rather aggravated the last time I visited him. The provincial premiers were holding their annual meeting in St. John's (the area I was visiting), and the Premier of Quebec (I don't recall his name, unfortunately) made a big point of arriving late and holding a press conference at the airport. His colleagues were visibly miffed at his antics, and a couple of them spoke their minds to reporters. Quebec was about to hold yet another of their independence votes, and my grandfather said that this man was viewing himself as the first Prime Minister of an independent Quebec. His behavior did remind me of a head of state, which he was not.

My mother used to say, "Canadians don't understand the problems Americans have with race, but say 'French Canadian' to them, and watch the fun begin." (My mother was from Newfoundland.). When I bought a Newfoundland flag to take home, one of my cousins suggested that we take it with us and invade Quebec - and I'm not sure that he was entirely kidding.

Canadians don't have the obsession with firearms that many Americans do, and they stand as living proof that you don't need a gun in every house to have a safe society.

Canada heavily taxes everything, but I suppose that you have to pay for government programs somehow.

There is a definite difference in attitudes. When I last entered the country, the Canadian customs agent asked me my destination, the purpose of my trip and how long I would be staying. When we finished, he told me to enjoy my trip, and I got the idea that he truly meant it. Going back home, the American customs agents acted as if it would make their day to catch me with something in my luggage that I shouldn't have - and these were my own countrymen. On one trip back from Canada when my mother was still living, a US Customs agent made her break open a sealed box of chocolates and he took one and ate it - just to prove that we weren't carrying contraband.

If I were younger, I would probably move north of the border. In attitude, beliefs and demeanor, I am much more Canadian than American.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 PM

26,777 posts, read 37,738,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post

Regarding politics, Canadians will discuss the subject, but they don't seem to have the firmly entrenched prejudices that many Americans do. They tend to consider all sides more often. I have noticed that one thing that ruffles many Canadian feathers rather quickly is the subject of Quebec. My grandfather, who seldom commented on anything politically other than his general disdain for all politicians, got rather aggravated the last time I visited him. The provincial premiers were holding their annual meeting in St. John's (the area I was visiting), and the Premier of Quebec (I don't recall his name, unfortunately) made a big point of arriving late and holding a press conference at the airport. His colleagues were visibly miffed at his antics, and a couple of them spoke their minds to reporters. Quebec was about to hold yet another of their independence votes, and my grandfather said that this man was viewing himself as the first Prime Minister of an independent Quebec. His behavior did remind me of a head of state, which he was not.

My mother used to say, "Canadians don't understand the problems Americans have with race, but say 'French Canadian' to them, and watch the fun begin." (My mother was from Newfoundland.). When I bought a Newfoundland flag to take home, one of my cousins suggested that we take it with us and invade Quebec - and I'm not sure that he was entirely kidding.
Yes. Quebec can make otherwise right minded Canadians completely lose their marbles.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:13 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,262,613 times
Quote:
Canadians seem much better informed about the world in general. Americans tend to be more nationalistic and isolationist. I dare say that Canadians know more about America than Americans know about Canada. I cringe whenever I see a television program say, for example, "Toronto, Canada", as if they have no idea what province it is in, or that this is irrelevant information. I never hear anyone say, "Los Angeles, America".
Are you familiar with this quote?

Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well informed about the United States.
J. Bartlet Brebner

Old 03-19-2013, 12:17 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,327,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Are you familiar with this quote?

Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well informed about the United States.
J. Bartlet Brebner
I have not seen that quote before. We certainly give Canadians plenty of material.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:25 PM

171 posts, read 272,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes. Quebec can make otherwise right minded Canadians completely lose their marbles.
Strange because Quebec seems far better than the rest of Canada.
now I'll just wait a few minutes and let the flames roll in

Old 03-22-2013, 05:12 AM

26,777 posts, read 37,738,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyjjj View Post
Strange because Quebec seems far better than the rest of Canada.
now I'll just wait a few minutes and let the flames roll in
Why is that? Don't necessarily disagree - just curious.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:26 AM

171 posts, read 272,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Why is that? Don't necessarily disagree - just curious.
It's much more European in nature and I feel a lot of the people are more open minded than many English Canadians. I say that as someone from the UK living in Montreal - of course it's a slight generalism as there are all types.
Having said that I spent some time in Alberta and BC too and that was a fun area of Canada. Toronto in my mind seems too American in attitudes.
Anyway, just personal opinions. The heated debate about English Canada vs Quebec seems to be mostly based on historic relations...

Old 03-22-2013, 09:12 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,729,449 times
Canadian military stripes are upside down!

Old 03-22-2013, 01:47 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,405,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyjjj View Post
It's much more European in nature and I feel a lot of the people are more open minded than many English Canadians. I say that as someone from the UK living in Montreal - of course it's a slight generalism as there are all types.
Having said that I spent some time in Alberta and BC too and that was a fun area of Canada. Toronto in my mind seems too American in attitudes.
Anyway, just personal opinions. The heated debate about English Canada vs Quebec seems to be mostly based on historic relations...
I don't agree nor disagree but these statements seem very broad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada