Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 10:08 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soze View Post
There really aren't huge differences between Canadians and Americans. There are some for sure but they are minor. Yes, Americans are a lot more patriotic than Canadians on average. That one is true. Americans are fatter on average. Americans seem friendlier and more in your face. Canadians are a bit more reserved. American cities look and feel similar to Canadian cities. Seattle and Vancouver have a similar feel.
Lemme guess: you're Canadian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 01:41 PM

800 posts, read 729,861 times
Canadians are the only ones who really care about hockey . A sport dominated by whites.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:13 PM

579 posts, read 664,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock67 View Post
Canada is much cleaner.

U.S. has better and cheaper shopping options.

In Canada you see a lot more people riding bicycles to get around.

The U.S. is more self-centered. Always looking inward...unlike Canada.

Canada is more liberal than the U.S.
Depends on whether we're talking about social or economic issues...

The difference is greater if you're talking about social issues than about economic issues.

Last edited by Yvanung; 05-23-2015 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 01:00 AM

625 posts, read 1,389,446 times
Its been interesting reading this list and seeing the few things I agree with and the many that really haven't struck me personally in my move from Colorado to BC. I think any large country have many different places, and logically by moving from one city or rural area in the U.S. to one in Canada, the differences you see might not be extrapolated to an entire country (esp. given the similarities overall in our histories and cultures). Moving has been a fine experience but overall I would guess any differences I do or don't see may be particular to the places where I live now and lived before. Overall, I've had a good experience both where I came from and in my new home (putting aside particular life situations).

To take a few alleged differences that I personally have or haven't experienced:

Some mention obesity. I moved from Colorado (obesity rate 19%, lowest in US) to BC (obesity rate 19%, lowest in Canada). One can compare other provinces and US states to see how they stack up.

I won't even get into the "driver from ______ are _______" comments that seem to proliferate on C-D. But, just so you know my car insurance rates are about the same and - I looked it up - accident rates are about the same from Colorado to BC.

Canada cleaner? Perhaps in some city to city comparisons, but in coming to a smaller city in BC, I've never seen as much rampant drug use, public needle disposal boxes, etc. Something I'd expect in maybe a down-and-out part of a big city, but not the small city I moved to. But I think this problem is found throughout the Pacific Northwest, and I know the past collapse of the logging economy, the residential schools, and other factors contribute to people being in need. Maybe its just common throughout North America these days.

Safer? Again, it depends. Of course Canada is safer on average than the US, and no Canadian city compares to the most dangerous U.S. ones. Victoria is safer than big-city Denver, but more dangerous than similar sized cities where I lived in Colorado. Manitoba and Saskatchewan are more dangerous, and Alberta as dangerous, as Colorado; other Provinces are safer.

More bicycling to work? True 1.3% of Canadians commute by bicycle compared to 0.6% of Americans, and Montreal is the bicycle capital of North America ... but then again where I live we aspire to be like Portland, OR. When I arrived in Victoria a couple years ago there were hardly any bike lanes on the roads.

Less Hispanic culture ... absolutely. More Latinos live in Washington State than all of Canada. I do miss the cultural influence. But then again, Montreal has the largest Spanish community in Canada, so it depends on where you are. Personally I think we could use a little more Latin culture.

Another difference I've personally noticed: Only French immersion in schools in my city. No other choices. I've been told Alberta is different, and Vancouver has started offering Chinese. I compare this to Eugene, OR (which offers French, Spanish and Japanese) or Portland, OR (which offers Spanish, Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese and Russian) and wish we'd offer more. The Provincial government tried, but there was resistance, hence the go-slow approach to introduce languages in addition to French. (With all due respect to French, my parents' language). Hopefully by the time my kids are in school ...

Bumper stickers ... that one is true. I notice few bumper stickers in Canada, and practically no political ones. But few of the bumper stickers back in my old home regarded Jesus ... most were about co-existence, the Grateful dead or skiing. And, I do have to say I see more Maple Leafs up here than I saw stars-and-stripes in my old home. Even the retired folks on scooters (the kind you drive on a sidewalk) use the Maple Leaf flag for visibility.

Just one person's experience.

Last edited by docwatson; 05-29-2015 at 01:10 AM..

Old 05-29-2015, 01:56 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Lemme guess: you're Canadian?
NDG, my admiration for you grows by the post. Not necessarily because I agree with your arguments, but because you make good arguments. And you're not afraid to call a spade a @$%^ shovel.

Apparently, I cannot rep you (I need to spread it around more), but if I could, I would.

~ CS

Old 05-29-2015, 01:06 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
NDG, my admiration for you grows by the post. Not necessarily because I agree with your arguments, but because you make good arguments. And you're not afraid to call a spade a @$%^ shovel.

Apparently, I cannot rep you (I need to spread it around more), but if I could, I would.

~ CS

Aw. Right back at 'ya, Chev.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:25 PM

579 posts, read 664,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Bumper stickers ... that one is true. I notice few bumper stickers in Canada, and practically no political ones. But few of the bumper stickers back in my old home regarded Jesus ... most were about co-existence, the Grateful dead or skiing. And, I do have to say I see more Maple Leafs up here than I saw stars-and-stripes in my old home. Even the retired folks on scooters (the kind you drive on a sidewalk) use the Maple Leaf flag for visibility.

Just one person's experience.
And no education-related bumper stickers either. (My parents found that weird that I would even contemplate putting a Minnesota bumper sticker on my mom's car)

Perhaps it's Montreal-specific rather than a Canada-wide thing, but, when I wear some clothing from an out-of-town school, I get asked whether I visited said school. Never I got asked whether I attended, or intend to attend, that particular school.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:39 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
And no education-related bumper stickers either. (My parents found that weird that I would even contemplate putting a Minnesota bumper sticker on my mom's car)
You mean like... PROUD PARENT OF AN EAST SYRACUSE KENNEDY MIDDLE SCHOOL HONO(U)R STUDENT ?

It's also interesting how you sometimes see American cars even today with old election bumper stickers like "Kerry Edwards" and such...

Old 05-29-2015, 05:10 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

It's also interesting how you sometimes see American cars even today with old election bumper stickers like "Kerry Edwards" and such...
That actually meant "Told you so!" until Edwards was disgraced and Kerry morphed into Neville Chamberlain.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:51 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That actually meant "Told you so!" until Edwards was disgraced and Kerry morphed into Neville Chamberlain.
LOL the way Kerry looks he's morphed into other things as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada