U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 04:54 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times

Advertisements

Provinces and territories of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Never been to Canada, but plan on doing a working holiday later this year or next year. Plan is to move to Vancouver and work at a ski resort, but I may do a stint elsewhere in Canada (I'm attracted to the Maritimes, actually) for 6 years to up to a year.

How would you rank the provincial capitals in all areas?

I know they vary a lot in size...but in terms of things like: climate, landscape, built environment/architecture, public transport, livability, culture/diversity, cuisine, entertainment, things to do, people (friendliness, tolerance.etc), employment opportunities .etc.

You don't have to assess each category, just give an overall subjective ranking from MOST FAVOURITE to LEAST FAVOURITE.

It would help shed some light on how Canadians and I guess Americans familiar with Canada view these cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 08:41 AM

353 posts, read 803,483 times
I would rank the provincial caps starting from most favorite to least:

Toronto
Quebec City
Victoria
St. John's
Edmonton
Halifax
Regina
Winnipeg
Fredericton
Charlottetown

Suffice it to say that Toronto is in a league of its own compared to the rest.
Quebec City and Victoria offer a great flair of French and British culture respectively.
Edmonton I like because of the mall.

I've not been to the rest, but St. John's and Halifax seem pretty interesting to me.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:10 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,157,921 times
You guys know how to do a list right? Because that's what the OP asked for. So stay on topic, create your list and quit nitpicking other people's opinions.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 06-04-2012 at 10:44 AM..

Old 06-04-2012, 03:13 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,157,921 times
In order of preference, my favourites are:

Quebec City
Victoria
Halifax
St. John's
Fredericton
Edmonton
Toronto
Charlottetown

Not been to any of the territories, Winnipeg or Regina yet.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:15 AM

2,200 posts, read 3,791,601 times
Favourite to least favourite:

Québec
Toronto
Victoria
Edmonton
Halifax
St John's
Winnipeg
Charlottetown
Regina
Fredericton
Yellowknife
Whitehorse
Iqaluit

Old 06-04-2012, 09:20 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
At the risk of getting in trouble here, I'd caution the OP that provincial capital status in Canada is not the same as a state capital in Australia, where the capitals are all the biggest, dominant cities of their respective states.

A list of provincial capitals in Canada leaves out the second and third biggest cities in the country (Montreal and Vancouver).

Also, the list of criteria is so varied it is really tough to rank them.

As far as attractiveness, probably:

Quebec City
Halifax/Victoria
Charlottetown

As far as being interesting places with lots to see and do, my ranking would be:

Toronto
Quebec City
Edmonton
Winnipeg

Old 06-07-2012, 09:13 PM

250 posts, read 549,799 times
I have been to 8 of the 10 provincial capitals (haven't made it to Vancouver Island and I have never visited Saskatchewan).

It is hard to rank the capitals....but i will try anyway (ranking in brakets)

Fredericton and Charlottetown are VERY small cities.

Charlottetown is quaint, and PEI is a beautiful place in the summertime....but the whole island seems to shut down in the winter. Worth a short visit. (7)

Fredericton....I have never been a fan. It is a bit of a university town, but it never feels like there is much going on. The middle of New Brunswick isn't the most exciting place in the world.....skip it. (8)

Halifax and St. John's are small cities, but they seem to punch above their weight due to their statuses as regional capitals.

I think that St. John's is a beautiful city. It has unique architecture, and the geography is stunning. Very friendly people, and a fun night life.....Unfortunately, the weather sucks (wettest, windiest and foggiest bigger city in Canada) and it is isolated. Its isolation means that it will take time and money to get in and out.....Consider it. (3)

Halifax is the most Urban location on the East Coast. There is a lot of history in the town, it is very walkable, and the tree lined streets are beautiful. People are friendly and the waterfront is busy from spring to autumn. Consider it. (4)

Quebec. The most beautiful city in Canada. Must do. (1)

Toronto. The center of the universe. It is the most important city in canada, and the most diverse. Must do. (2)

Winnipeg. It is known for its history and culture. Unfortunately, it seems a little run down....and it is very isolated. Too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter. I am not a big fan (6)

Edmonton. Good arts community. Great university. Sprawling. Has more than a couple of tough sections. Not really that unique. (5)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or