U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 AM
 
Location: The heart of Cascadia
1,328 posts, read 2,648,355 times
Reputation: 815

Advertisements

In general, Canada is less supportive of war and militarism, and they don't have the death penalty.

However, would you say most Canadians believe that WW2 was justified, or that someone like Olson, Pickton or Rafferty should be put to death? Or is it common for Canadians to be unconditionally pacifist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2012, 03:57 AM
 
396 posts, read 729,556 times
Reputation: 191
Pacifist yeah sure, the last time I checked we've been in every war that made sense for the last century, we were two years ahead of you get in 39 if my memory serves me right.

Do we have a tendency to not get involved in wars that have nothing to do with us, most certainly . That not being a pacifist it's called being a student of logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 AM
 
Location: The heart of Cascadia
1,328 posts, read 2,648,355 times
Reputation: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
Pacifist yeah sure, the last time I checked we've been in every war that made sense for the last century, we were two years ahead of you get in 39 if my memory serves me right.

Do we have a tendency to not get involved in wars that have nothing to do with us, most certainly . That not being a pacifist it's called being a student of logic.
Afghanistan made sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2012, 04:24 AM
 
396 posts, read 729,556 times
Reputation: 191
Relative from iraq yes. Afghanistan was on par with the nazi's(in the 1930's), it wasn't something that could be ignored, and if you think it's even in the ballpark of iraq you might wanna do some reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
10,900 posts, read 23,170,895 times
Reputation: 5313

United States Marine Corps - Canadian Forces (HD/3D) - YouTube
John F. Kennedy:
"Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends. Economics has made us partners. And necessity has made us allies. Those whom nature hath so joined together, let no man put asunder. What unites us is far greater than what divides us."
~1961. Address to Canadian Parliament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 AM
 
34,356 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Reputation: 29841
Canada Pacifist? we got a guy killing people and butchering them,we got a guy shooting up a food court, another guy beheading some one on a Greyhound bus, we have riots in the streets of Montreal every night.Sure c'mon up to Canada it will be a peaceful change from the carnage going on in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2012, 07:53 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
Relative from iraq yes. Afghanistan was on par with the nazi's(in the 1930's), it wasn't something that could be ignored, and if you think it's even in the ballpark of iraq you might wanna do some reading.

How so? Afghanistan did no harm to Canada whatsoever. Don't tell me we are fighting "terrorism", as the US is, as shocking as it sounds, a DIFFERENT country.

Iraq? I didn't even make sense to the US, not to say Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2012, 07:56 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
John F. Kennedy:
"Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends. Economics has made us partners. And necessity has made us allies. Those whom nature hath so joined together, let no man put asunder. What unites us is far greater than what divides us."
~1961. Address to Canadian Parliament.
We are all friends when our interests are in no conflict.
The US might say similar things to almost every country in the world. doesn't meaning anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2012, 01:48 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,213 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Reputation: 14123
Are Canadians more likely to be pacifists than Americans?

No, I don't think so. Canadians aren't pacifists but Canada isn't an aggressive country either. Canadians defend what needs to be defended when necessary but for the most part Canada is noted for being a peacekeeper country.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2012, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Lethbridge, AB
1,132 posts, read 1,653,022 times
Reputation: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
We are all friends when our interests are in no conflict.
The US might say similar things to almost every country in the world. doesn't meaning anything.
Well, except for the actual treaty obligations between the two countries, of course.

Canado-American Treaties - Search by subject

That site lists 45 separate military agreements. Generally, you don't spend 60 years signing military treaties with countries you're fighting with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generally, I don't think there's any more pacifist tendencies here, though I think there's certainly less Hawkish tendencies than in the US.

I'd disagree that Canada is less supportive of war (excluding, perhaps, Quebec). Generally, there's been widespread support for the country's war efforts.

On the other hand, I agree there's little emphasis on militarism, or empire building up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top