U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:47 AM

21,984 posts, read 27,463,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
Here are some milestones:

Responsible Government - 1849
Dominion of Canada - 1867
Canada Represented at the Paris Peace Conference - 1919
Statute of Westminster - 1931
End of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council - 1949
Patriation of the Constitution - 1982
Team Canada beats Team USA - 2010
Another important one was the Canadian Citizenship Act that came into effect in 1947. Prior to that, Canadians were legally "British subjects", not Canadian citizens.

Also, God Save the Queen was a de facto national anthem of Canada up until 1980, when O Canada was officially designated as the national anthem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 06:54 AM

I should say that I don't object to July 1, 1867 being used as a foundational day for Canada and for its national holiday. It's probably the best day we could choose.

That said, a lot of people seem to think that this day was the day that everything changed, like July 4, 1776 or July 14, 1789. Although July 1 is important, trying to pinpoint a single day where fingers snapped and the country changed forever is not an interpretation that is consistent with Canada's history, which has been very evolutive.

A lot of people in Canada have a somewhat skewed view of national history (viewed through an American prism thanks to popular culture) and imagine that many of the steps to nationhood followed by our neighbours to the south (Declaration of Independence) are the "normal" ones that any country has to go through.

I guess they watched too much of "Schoolhouse Rock" on American TV in their youth...

Old 06-07-2012, 10:08 AM

469 posts, read 604,936 times
So, John MacDonald is not Canada's George Washington?

What is the purpose of belonging to the Commonwealth? Is it nostalgia? Are there practical benefits? Is the Governor General just a figurehead?

God bless,

CKB

Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 AM

368 posts, read 302,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post

What is the purpose of belonging to the Commonwealth? Is it nostalgia? Are there practical benefits? Is the Governor General just a figurehead?

God bless,

CKB
Sir John A. MacDonald was Canada's first Prime Minister so in that respect he is the equivalent of George Washington. However, as you know, there was no military conflict subsequent to the formation of Canada. The Commonwealth isn't too different from some of the other regional blocs you might find around the world in some ways I guess. The Governor General isn't a figurehead per se, but his or her power isn't significant.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:53 AM

The Governor General's presence as Queen's representative and how all this represents our "head of state" is the basis of the entire constitutional, judicial and political régime in Canada. All power in Canada is related in some way to the "Crown".

Old 06-07-2012, 08:19 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,518,721 times
But of course the GG doesn't practically wield that power except for once in a constitutional blue moon.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:27 PM

396 posts, read 731,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
But of course the GG doesn't practically wield that power except for once in a constitutional blue moon.
Seriously the hells angels have more influence than queen and gg combined. I donno it`s just something polisci nerds love to talk about.

Reality is america has had 100 times more influence on the country since 1945.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 PM

20 posts, read 34,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post

God bless,

CKB
The same type of benefits that come from membership in the OAS or APEC (which is to say it gives politicians an excuse to go on holidays made to look like important functions in exotic locales) Membership in the Commonwealth has nothing to do with form of government - India being a republic but also a member of the Commonwealth as one example. The Queen is recognized as head of the Commonwealth in much the same way that every UN member state recognizes Ban Ki-Moon as Secretary General. It doesn't mean that special powers or privileges are vested in him in the US or Mali or Nauru by virtue of their UN membership.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:18 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,812,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I guess they watched too much of "Schoolhouse Rock" on American TV in their youth...
LOL!

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, in Canada, they didn't air the American-specific (the history and civics ones) episodes, only the ones having to do with math, science, grammar, etc.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:36 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,518,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
LOL!

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, in Canada, they didn't air the American-specific (the history and civics ones) episodes, only the ones having to do with math, science, grammar, etc.
Don't know about you but I recall seeing the history and civics episodes on TV. "I'm just a bill! 8." I was born in 1989.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or