U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 07:39 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,036,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
No language is inherently limiting. Languages are ''limited'' in their use (usually by ''others'') but are not limiting per se. Your people's language was lost because they were dominated by English speakers, who imposed their language and ''limited'' the use of their original language, which in turn made the people view it as ''limiting''.
As the language of a small isolated country spoken mainly in rural towns and villages, yes, it was limiting. I'm a functionalist: in my estimation, the only value of a language is its utility. You can believe what you want, but I know the truth of it -- the old tongue was limiting. Had my people restricted themselves to using only that language, then we wouldn't have become as wildly successful as we are in the modern era. As English has become the international language of business, I'm very happy about this turn of events and I view it as the good fortune of my people to have acquired it as their de facto mother tongue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you should ask people who live on that lingua franca's frontline in southern California, south Texas and south Florida, how they feel about going with the flow linguistically and just letting things happen as they will.
It doesn't matter for it's happening whatever they think about it and it's likely to continuing happening for the foreseeable future. Appealing to the sentiments of linguistic bigots down there won't do much to strengthening any case that might be made on behalf of the Québécois to argue in favour of the draconian language laws that are found on the books in Quebec.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:48 PM

396 posts, read 730,781 times
Quote:
Perhaps you should ask people who live on that lingua franca's frontline in southern California, south Texas and south Florida, how they feel about going with the flow linguistically and just letting things happen as they will.
Lol you have to wonder eh

I donno I'm done with this thread, too often anti french people in canada, make some bizarre statement like language don't matter etc.

It's one thing to say the way things are going is wrong, but when your only solution is to suggest some foolish concept of just letting things run it's course I have to giggle inside.

If you wanna suggest realistic ways of how things could be different I'm all ears, but if your just gonna stick to french don't matter this is a waste of time.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post

I donno I'm done with this thread, too often anti french people in canada, make some bizarre statement like language don't matter etc.

It's one thing to say the way things are going is wrong, but when your only solution is to suggest some foolish concept of just letting things run it's course I have to giggle inside.

If you wanna suggest realistic ways of how things could be different I'm all ears, but if your just gonna stick to french don't matter this is a waste of time.
Better luck next time.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
... won't do much to strengthening any case ....
... won't do much to strengthen any case ....

Old 06-11-2012, 06:26 AM

21,961 posts, read 27,403,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post

At least there are a few people here like you who realize how hyperbolic and over the top some of the crap posted on here is.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
As the language of a small isolated country spoken mainly in rural towns and villages, yes, it was limiting. I'm a functionalist: in my estimation, the only value of a language is its utility. You can believe what you want, but I know the truth of it -- the old tongue was limiting. Had my people restricted themselves to using only that language, then we wouldn't have become as wildly successful as we are in the modern era. As English has become the international language of business, I'm very happy about this turn of events and I view it as the good fortune of my people to have acquired it as their de facto mother tongue.
Limiting like Danish? Swedish? Dutch? Norwegian? Finnish? Slovenian?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Limiting like Danish? Swedish? Dutch? Norwegian? Finnish? Slovenian?
It was limiting and it remains limiting. I'll just leave it at that.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
It was limiting and it remains limiting. I'll just leave it at that.
You are entitled to your opinion, but there is a "the king is dead. long live the king!" aspect to your view.

You think the way things unfolded is for the better simply because that's what you know.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:39 AM

396 posts, read 730,781 times
Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion, but there is a "the king is dead. long live the king!" aspect to your view.

You think the way things unfolded is for the better simply because that's what you know.
Meh really though, I got no problem with extreme views, or views that are obviously unpopular, but atleast admit to it.

In my personal view, billingualism in this country should be mandatory, whether it be french, cree, mandarin, I don't care, but I get this view isn't common, and I don't pretend it is.

But believing in the protection of a language by it's people it pretty common anywhere in a democracy, it's not extreme, and pretty much a given anywhere at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada