U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 AM

396 posts, read 729,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero2 View Post
How on earth does the fact that the "rest of canada puts very little value on french" make it "near impossible" for the population of Quebec to grow at a significant rate?
Because no immigrant will ever learn french to live in just one area of the country. Outside of quebec, the french language has been declining rapidly. No one learns the language outside of quebec, atleast not nearly enough, it makes more sense for me to learn mandarin, than it ever will to learn french. People in this country show no backing for the language, it's bloody sad, french immersion should be mandatory in the country.

Last edited by mikmaq32; 06-08-2012 at 02:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What does Quebec want? basically have your cake and eat it to, they want all that "Equalization" money to keep rolling in and they want to have total say in how the money is used/spent and they want to be in total control of the laws they implement to protect and save their culture although i'm not seeing where their culture is in anyway threatened and i certainly dont see where separation would be in their best interest as it would bring to an end all the equalization money and the myriad of other federal related infrastructure.
To me Quebec is already another country separate from Canada it just cant bring itself to break away from the federal teat in Ottawa.
The attitude from most other Canadians i know concerning Quebec and separation is Dont let the door hit you in the ar ss on your way out eh!
Expect atlantic canada will despise being isolated, ontario, will grow weary of having to give into western canada all the time, which will lead us to a final solution. Joining america.

Anyhow I'm sick of this quebec bashing, it gets old very fast. Its just a way for people to feel like there politically aware, without having to understand anything beyond, I'm not french.

Whats happening in quebec is an issue that is happening everywhere, which is english is wiping out other languages. It's not because english is superior, it's because it has gained certain leverage due to its colonial history. To think the french language will survive without state intervention is nonsense, as any language hoping to stay relevant needs legal backing.

If you go anywhere in europe, there are similar laws in place it's common sense, to think you have a point about something that is so universally accepted elsewhere is a joke.

Last edited by mikmaq32; 06-08-2012 at 02:21 AM..

Old 06-08-2012, 04:54 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
Expect atlantic canada will despise being isolated, ontario, will grow weary of having to give into western canada all the time, which will lead us to a final solution. Joining america.

You'd really prefer Quebec join America than stay in Canada?
Also if that scenario transpires its not Quebec who will decide if it will be welcomed into the USA union.What happens if a failed separation leads to Quebec asking for the USA to bail them out and the USA says no thanks.
Actually i think if Quebec separates it will be a domino effect that will break up the entire country,
As for The world of business and technology taking English as the language of choice its not a plot to eliminate other languages or cultures its just a global communication convenience.You dont want to speak English? be prepared to be a global bystander.

As for Quebecs Similar language laws world wide?. Other countries have a Bill101?,an Office de la Langue Francais?.Laws on which schools your children can attend or what languages maybe spoken in schools or workplace or what language can be posted on signs.
As for the Quebec bashing? i'm kinda tired of the English bashing that goes on in Quebec and the constant efforts of the Quebec government to rid the province of all things English.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-08-2012 at 05:09 AM..

Old 06-08-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Also if that scenario transpires its not Quebec who will decide if it will be welcomed into the USA union.What happens if a failed separation leads to Quebec asking for the USA to bail them out and the USA says no thanks.
Actually i think if Quebec separates it will be a domino effect that will break up the entire country,
I meant the rest of canada will join america.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:19 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quebec has always ''paid into'' equalization, in the sense that its taxpayers pay into it just like all other Canadians do.

The differences are not about who pays in - everyone does.

The differences are about who receives - Quebec has always been a recipient, as have four other provinces (NB, PEI, NS and MB). Up until very recently NL had always received as well.
of course everyone "pays in"; unless a province has a zero GDP, it pays. but with due respect, that's pointless.

What matters is the net payment. The fact that Quebec has always been a recipient tells it all - that it contributes NOTHING to programs in other provinces but always TAKES payment from other provinces.

Nobody will have a problem with a province receiving equalization payment from time to time. But always receiving and never giving, while enjoying the country's best welfare? I don't think that's acceptable.

In other words, I have no way to put it in a more delicate way - the rest of Canada is better off without Quebec.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Mexico once wanted to join the US and US was not interested. Why do you think they would want Quebec , the money hole?
And I am 100% sure even if it does, no other states will be required to make payment to Quebec so that Quebeckers can enjoy $7/hour day care and free IVF. The US is always about pay what the market says, while Quebec is all about "everything should come from the government". They can't be more different.

They can join France.
Or for a better partner, Greece.

Last edited by botticelli; 06-08-2012 at 06:29 AM..

Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
of course everyone "pays in"; unless a province has a zero GDP, it pays. but with due respect, that's pointless.

What matters is the net payment. The fact that Quebec has always been a recipient tells it all - that it contributes NOTHING to programs in other provinces but always TAKES payment from other provinces.

Nobody will have a problem with a province receiving equalization payment from time to time. But always receiving and never giving, while enjoying the country's best welfare? I don't think that's acceptable.

In other words, I have no way to put it in a more delicate way - the rest of Canada is better off without Quebec.
Is it also better off without the three Maritime provinces and Manitoba also (all of which have always been recipients too), or is it just Quebec you want to jettison because that is where most of the "Frenchies" (sic) are?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:28 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Mexico once wanted to join the US and US was not interested. Why do you think they would want Quebec , the money hole?
Working with 300 Francophones the subject of Quebecs separation comes up on occasion and when i ask what will happen if Quebec separates and then falls into economic ruin on par with a Haiti of the north the usual response is well then we'll join the United States .
I doubt the USA would want to take on the financial burden of Quebec but i'm sure it will pay handsomely for ownership of all Quebecs abundant natural resources.
And a Canada minus Quebec wouldnt need to join the USA or would Canadians want to.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is it also better off without the three Maritime provinces and Manitoba also (all of which have always been recipients too), or is it just Quebec you want to jettison because that is where most of the "Frenchies" (sic) are?
You misunderstood me. I don't resent the Francophones. Actually I am learning French and love it. Montreal is the greatest city in Canada in my view. Unlikely most English Canadians, I am strongly in favour of preserving the French language in Quebec, and I hate the idea of English dominating the world.

I just don't like things work in Quebec. The Maritime provinces and Manitoba received payments as well, but they don't seem to have the entitlement attitude that is common in Quebec. They don't enjoy the same level of lavish social welfare in Quebec. They are not striking against the lowest college tuition in Canada either. And they never threatened to separate from the union despite the net payment they receive consistently.

As you correctly pointed that Quebec has ALWASY been a net receiver. Shouldn't Quebec ponder why it is the case? Why with its vast land and resources and large population, the Province can't manage to generate enough growth and revenue to be able to at least maintain an average financial situation and try to stop taking money from other provinces? Maybe there is something wrong with the work ethnic there, maybe the system is flawed, maybe there is not enough incentive for people to accomplish things?

When I say I want Quebec out, it has not because it is French, but rather despite the fact its being so culturally unique. Canada without Quebec will be a lot more boring, but rationally speaking, things can't keep on working like this when the second largest province keeps sucking money out of other province year after year, and is NOT even happy and keep wanting more.

With all due respect, Quebec should shut up, stop whining and asking for things, and work harder.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Working with 300 Francophones the subject of Quebecs separation comes up on occasion and when i ask what will happen if Quebec separates and then falls into economic ruin on par with a Haiti of the north the usual response is well then we'll join the United States .
I doubt the USA would want to take on the financial burden of Quebec but i'm sure it will pay handsomely for ownership of all Quebecs abundant natural resources.
And a Canada minus Quebec wouldnt need to join the USA or would Canadians want to.
If Quebec does leave, the Maritimes would probably HAVE to join the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada