U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 10:36 AM

469 posts, read 603,013 times

Advertisements

Yesterday was June 6, the day Americans commemorate the invasion of Normandy in 1944. British and Canadians also participated. Of course, the number of WWII veterans is fast decreasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 10:45 AM

368 posts, read 301,477 times
Yes we commemorate D-Day.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,498,191 times
We don't have a special holiday or anything, if that's what you're asking, but sometimes there's stories in the paper. What do Americans do to commemorate the event?

Old 06-07-2012, 10:50 AM

21,954 posts, read 27,377,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
We don't have a special holiday or anything, if that's what you're asking, but sometimes there's stories in the paper. What do Americans do to commemorate the event?
BIMBAM is right as usual (well, almost always! ). There were reports on the news for sure. Perhaps the military does something as well (not sure) but as far as public commemorations they are rare.

You did have bigger public events in Canada for the 50th and 60th anniversaries though if I recall.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
It usually makes the national news. In some places, veterans get together for a reunion, but time is taking its toll on them. I remember a local man who was one of those Army Rangers who assaulted Pointe du Hoc (sp?) in advance of the main invading force. He was interviewed on ABC when he traveled to Normady for the 40th anniversary. He died about 10 years ago.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:06 AM

You spelled it correctly. So I think we commemorate it pretty similarly, with the media making some note and the veterans or military marking the day in some way. I think that VE and VJ days are a similar deal. Of course, the big public day to honour our war dead is Rememberance Day, on November 11th, and we wear red poppies on our clothes for many weeks leading up until the day. The poppies are sold by the legion and November 11th was once known as Armistice day, the end of Great War ended. There's a minute of silence at 11:11 in the morning and many public rememberance ceremonies at the cenotaphs and on the campuses. The poppies remind us of this poem by a fallen lieutenant colonel and medical doctor from Montreal, John McCrae. The bit about sleeping is a nod to morphine coming from poppies.

IN FLANDERS FIELDS Poem, by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae

As far as I understand it, there's a veteran's day in the US where you honour your veterans. Do you also have a separate day to honour the dead, or is that part of veterans' day?

Old 06-07-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
As far as I understand it, there's a veteran's day in the US where you honour your veterans. Do you also have a separate day to honour the dead, or is that part of veterans' day?

Our Veterans Day is your Remembrance Day, November 11. It used to be called Armistice Day. We also have Memorial Day, celebrated the last Monday of May, ostensibly to remember all American soldiers who died in war. All too often, however, it is treated as a three-day weekend starting the summer vacation season.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:40 AM

368 posts, read 301,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Our Veterans Day is your Remembrance Day, November 11. It used to be called Armistice Day. We also have Memorial Day, celebrated the last Monday of May, ostensibly to remember all American soldiers who died in war. All too often, however, it is treated as a three-day weekend starting the summer vacation season.
Remembrance Day isn't even a stat holiday in Canada. Sure, the people who work for the government get it off, but otherwise most businesses are open.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:46 PM

12,339 posts, read 10,323,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Sadly, that is the status of Memorial Day in the US. The Brits, Canadians, and other countries seem so much more respectuful about the war dead.

I don't know if you saw this, but it was all over Facebook on the Memorial Day Weekend. I doubt British or Canadian folks would need to be reminded like that on November 11th. It is a shame. Memorial Day should be moved to a static date in May the same way 4th July is treated. If it falls on a Tuesday or Wednesday, too bad. Maybe that would help. But you are right, most people just act like it is the start of summer. Meanwhile, as a friend of mine whose brother was killed in action told me, to his family it is anything but.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
Remembrance Day isn't even a stat holiday in Canada. Sure, the people who work for the government get it off, but otherwise most businesses are open.
It's province specific, British Columbians get the day off but I don't think they have family day like you guys do in Ontario so it evens out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or