U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:00 AM

9,526 posts, read 9,409,905 times

Advertisements

What about Canadian westerns? Some Hollywood movies were filmed in western Canada and were called "Northerners", but I'm refering to those made in Canada by Canadians! There was one called Riel, which included a pre-comedic Leslie Nielsen in its cast. Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 02:42 PM

216 posts, read 360,614 times
Default Men with brooms!

I truly despise Paul Gross and want to beat him with my shoe...but the flick was okay
Men with Brooms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-25-2012, 07:47 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,489,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
What about Canadian westerns? Some Hollywood movies were filmed in western Canada and were called "Northerners", but I'm refering to those made in Canada by Canadians! There was one called Riel, which included a pre-comedic Leslie Nielsen in its cast. Any others?
Hmmm, I can't recall too many. The main classic Canadian Western is The Grey Fox which came out in 1982. It's about an American outlaw who comes to British Columbia after a train robbery to settle down and start a new life, but he can't quite hide from his past.

The Grey Fox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then there's this comedy movie, which I think is just the epitome of that irritatingly smug Canadian superiority complex vis a vis Americans I find very embarrassing. It's called Gunless, and is basically a similar plot to the Grey Fox but with more Western movie tropes. I don't think it's a coincidence that both of these films have American protagonists, as the Western is perceived as really an American genre, probably because the Canadian west with its motto of "Peace, order, and good government" was generally boring outside of the Northwest rebellions. Note also that it's a modern film, so it's sort of a lampooning of Westerns in the tradition of blazing saddles more then a serious Western.

Gunless Trailer - YouTube

Now THIS movie is my favourite Canadian Western so far. Set in the wilds of the Northwest Territories in 1964, I think it really captures the drama of life on the Canadian frontier and captures it in an original way, without having to draw on the American Western tradition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7v2NB6COBg

Finally, there's this movie here, called Drylanders, made in 1962. I think it's a great movie because it accurately describes the settling and history of the Canadian Prairies, all of which was in living memory when the film was made as Alberta and Saskatchewan were only established as provinces at the turn of the century (Manitoba, of course, has a more complicated history, but it was also settled on mass by European at around this time period).

http://www.nfb.ca/film/drylanders/

Old 09-25-2012, 08:31 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,977,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Has anyone seen Mon Oncle Antione? I understand that's a Canadian classic that shows life in a part of pre-Quiet Revolution Quebec.
you can download it on the internet.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,489,713 times
Quote:
As an aside, I think you might like the feedback someone got when they started a thread with exactly this question in another forum that I frequent.

Recommend me a Canadian western movie [Archive] - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 PM

9,526 posts, read 9,409,905 times
Anyone seen the movie La Florida?

Old 10-02-2012, 01:46 PM

21,946 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Quote:
Anyone seen the movie La Florida?
You know what my answer to that is.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:37 AM

218 posts, read 444,290 times
Videodrome is a great Canadian Toronto horror movie.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,400,177 times
Ok, maybe not a depiction of Canadian life, history or experience but I enjoyed Monsieur Lazhar quite a bit.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:15 AM

21,946 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Ok, maybe not a depiction of Canadian life, history or experience but I enjoyed Monsieur Lazhar quite a bit.
Monsieur Lazhar made it to Chicagoland! Interesting...

The guy who made that movie grew up pretty much around the corner from me and quite a few of my friends went to high school with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or