U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2013, 12:32 AM
 
Location: Both coasts
1,582 posts, read 4,295,837 times
Reputation: 1447

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramouchebluez View Post



When Canada elects a non white to lead an office on the provincial level I'll believe they are less racist.



You think chinese, korean, somalis and afghans are drawing swastikas
I agree. Canadians need to get off their high horse.

Although I think it is an overall more tolerant place and they don't play the race card the way Americans do, I think it's actually institutionally and employment-wise more racially-restrictive than the US. I think it's some of the residual British influence. The concept of Affirmative Action will be considered too much of "playing the race card" up there- notwithstanding the doors that it does open for minority groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2013, 03:26 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,182 posts, read 1,759,319 times
Reputation: 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramouchebluez View Post
America has a well defined melting pot culture, you come to America you are expected to act American. Canada is a cultural mosiac, you come to canada, you can keep acting ukranian or russian or chinese or italian or french, you don't have to integrate and you don't have to learn english.
Perhaps you meant:

"America has a well defined melting pot culture, you come to America you are expected to act American. Canada is a cultural mosiac, you come to Canada, you can keep acting Ukranian or Russian or Chinese or Italian or French, you don't have to integrate and you don't have to learn English."

Are you unaware that in English, we capitalize the adjectives of nationalities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2013, 05:08 AM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
564 posts, read 879,407 times
Reputation: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
The racism in Canada mainly comes from immigrants with hate and from liberals with condescending love, you really don't see cross burning and swastikas by right wing racists in Canada, who are mainly confined to the underground, out of the mainstream.
Not sure I agree with that. The racism in Canada can be much more subtle than violence or organized hate (cross burnings, swastikas, etc). It's practiced in job screenings, customer service dealings, and other "quiet" ways. Believe me, the only people who don't think there is inherent racism in Canada are white people, who for the most part are oblivious to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2013, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,962 posts, read 27,410,308 times
Reputation: 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramouchebluez View Post

I think the hypenated Canadian is highly present throughout Canada. Look at Quebec, an entire province of hypenated Canadians, they aren't canadians they are french-canadians, quebecers, quebecois whatever but they aren't assimilated don't speak english and don't often define themselves as plain canadians. Only Canadians of english descent generally do not state readily where they are REALLY from. Canada has no real culture to integrate into.

.
French Canadians or Québécois (note this is an unhyphenated name BTW) are the original Canadians.

Their appellation evolved over time (first to French Canadian, then later to Québécois) in a reaction to a perception that the original Canadien/Canadian name was being appropriated by another group and given an anglo-British meaning, to the detriment of its francophone origins.

It is incorrect to refer to this group as an example of hyphenated Canadianism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Canada
5,694 posts, read 6,549,724 times
Reputation: 8198
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I agree. Canadians need to get off their high horse.

Although I think it is an overall more tolerant place and they don't play the race card the way Americans do, I think it's actually institutionally and employment-wise more racially-restrictive than the US. I think it's some of the residual British influence. The concept of Affirmative Action will be considered too much of "playing the race card" up there- notwithstanding the doors that it does open for minority groups.

Of course there's racism in Canada. Bring up "First Nations" and you will find a flood of racist posts. But Canada as more racist than other countries? Based on one cross-burning? That poster has not been anywhere if he believes that and his 'evidence' for it is sadly lacking.

I was in Jena, Germany during a time when Neo-Nazis saw fit to march down the streets and no one stood their ground. Little old ladies would step onto the street when these thugs made their way down the sidewalk. And I discovered I would rather risk being beat up than step aside for those ill-mannered, head-shaved morons. When I walked, they stepped into the street.

I listened on the balcony one Easter to shouts of Sieg Heil and the thump of boots made it sound like a WW2 movie. The children of colleagues were getting beat up on a regular basis. Beate Zschape, Alleged Neo-Nazi Leader, on Trial in Germany - The Daily Beast

Is there a historic discrimination against non-Anglos by Anglos? Yup, there sure was. I'm not Anglo and the Anglos had a long habit of looking down their noses at those with non-Anglo names. The colour of skin had nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2013, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
230 posts, read 435,719 times
Reputation: 352
Racism is everywhere, simple as that. In Canada it’s more subtle and hidden than in the US but that doesn’t make it any less prevalent, and if more empirical data existed on the subject I would be willing to bet that Canadians would rank as just as racist as Americans, if not slightly more so. Regardless, it’s up to each one of us to challenge racism by calling it out for what it is, and just as importantly to strive to be more inclusive. And that needs to be done on all fronts, not just on the part of Whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2013, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Both coasts
1,582 posts, read 4,295,837 times
Reputation: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Of course there's racism in Canada. Bring up "First Nations" and you will find a flood of racist posts. But Canada as more racist than other countries? Based on one cross-burning? That poster has not been anywhere if he believes that and his 'evidence' for it is sadly lacking.

I was in Jena, Germany during a time when Neo-Nazis saw fit to march down the streets and no one stood their ground. Little old ladies would step onto the street when these thugs made their way down the sidewalk. And I discovered I would rather risk being beat up than step aside for those ill-mannered, head-shaved morons. When I walked, they stepped into the street.

I listened on the balcony one Easter to shouts of Sieg Heil and the thump of boots made it sound like a WW2 movie. The children of colleagues were getting beat up on a regular basis. Beate Zschape, Alleged Neo-Nazi Leader, on Trial in Germany - The Daily Beast

Is there a historic discrimination against non-Anglos by Anglos? Yup, there sure was. I'm not Anglo and the Anglos had a long habit of looking down their noses at those with non-Anglo names. The colour of skin had nothing to do with it.
oh indeed. the Germans and Dutch are far far more racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2013, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
939 posts, read 1,263,660 times
Reputation: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Not sure I agree with that. The racism in Canada can be much more subtle than violence or organized hate (cross burnings, swastikas, etc). It's practiced in job screenings, customer service dealings, and other "quiet" ways. Believe me, the only people who don't think there is inherent racism in Canada are white people, who for the most part are oblivious to it.
I agree with everything you're saying. There's less hatred outside of immigrant communities and the underground racist scene. In Canada, it's okay to hate Black people, as long as you're not White. I have Vietnamese relatives in Canada and they love to let their racial slurs fly, against Blacks, Indians, the Chinese, Whites, you name it. Most White Canadians are too politically correct to say or do anything overtly offensive. Mainstream racism is more subtle, taking the form of viewing minorities as foreign or "the other" and therefore not part of the in-crowd or the good-ol'-boy network and therefore they get passed over for jobs that require a lot of connections, like corporate executive positions or non-backbencher MPs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:21 PM
 
363 posts, read 587,645 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Perhaps you meant:

"America has a well defined melting pot culture, you come to America you are expected to act American. Canada is a cultural mosiac, you come to Canada, you can keep acting Ukranian or Russian or Chinese or Italian or French, you don't have to integrate and you don't have to learn English."

Are you unaware that in English, we capitalize the adjectives of nationalities?
english is a constantly evoling language, we can barely read shakespeare and it has undergone a big transformation multiple times. english whatever we want it to be. It is a living language. It is not french we can change it as we like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:22 PM
 
363 posts, read 587,645 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
French Canadians or Québécois (note this is an unhyphenated name BTW) are the original Canadians.

Their appellation evolved over time (first to French Canadian, then later to Québécois) in a reaction to a perception that the original Canadien/Canadian name was being appropriated by another group and given an anglo-British meaning, to the detriment of its francophone origins.

It is incorrect to refer to this group as an example of hyphenated Canadianism.
No first nation indians are the original canadians the rest of us a re just immigrants

french-candians should have been force to learn english a long long time ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top