U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:24 PM

363 posts, read 585,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Not sure I agree with that. The racism in Canada can be much more subtle than violence or organized hate (cross burnings, swastikas, etc). It's practiced in job screenings, customer service dealings, and other "quiet" ways. Believe me, the only people who don't think there is inherent racism in Canada are white people, who for the most part are oblivious to it.
I agree, but if I try to work for an Indian run gas station forgetaboutit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 05:27 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramouchebluez View Post
No first nation indians are the original canadians the rest of us a re just immigrants
This is incorrect. First nations people were the first legitimate inhabitants of the territory now known as Canada but they never referred to themselves as Canadians. They were Mohawk, Iroquois, Haida, Dene, etc.

The name Canadian was first invented to describe the original French-speaking settlers of this part of the world. No one else.

Quote:
french-candians should have been force to learn english a long long time ago
And then people wonder why I think the way I do...

Old 06-29-2013, 06:29 PM

Well french canadians never described themselves as Canadians given that the word Canada
"The name Canada comes from the St. Lawrence Iroquoian word kanata, meaning "village" or "settlement"
wiki

They described themselves as Quebecois and still deny they are Canadian, fly the fleure de lili french flag. There is nothing Canadian about them, haven't integrated, don't speak english, fly a foreign flag.

Your ignorance is silly, the word Canadian was used by Iroquois

Yes you should speak english like everyone else, we can't have everyone speaking the language of their immigrant ancestors or the place would be a mess, all quebecers should be banned from speaking french under penalty of prison

Old 06-29-2013, 07:20 PM

5,689 posts, read 6,532,688 times
Quote:
Well french canadians never described themselves as Canadians given that the word Canada
"The name Canada comes from the St. Lawrence Iroquoian word kanata, meaning "village" or "settlement"
wiki

They described themselves as Quebecois and still deny they are Canadian, fly the fleure de lili french flag. There is nothing Canadian about them, haven't integrated, don't speak english, fly a foreign flag.

Your ignorance is silly, the word Canadian was used by Iroquois

Yes you should speak english like everyone else, we can't have everyone speaking the language of their immigrant ancestors or the place would be a mess, all quebecers should be banned from speaking french under penalty of prison
Ignoring the anti-French sentiments in your post, you don't seem to know much about Canada's immigration history. We can have people speaking the language of their immigrant ancestors. Immigrants of some groups were promised that by the Canadian government when they were soliciting immigrants back in the the 1800s.

Your last line puts you firmly in the cuckoo category.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:31 PM

489 posts, read 1,051,168 times
Quote:

Yes you should speak english like everyone else, we can't have everyone speaking the language of their immigrant ancestors or the place would be a mess
Lol, the irony.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Ignoring the anti-French sentiments in your post, you don't seem to know much about Canada's immigration history. We can have people speaking the language of their immigrant ancestors. Immigrants of some groups were promised that by the Canadian government when they were soliciting immigrants back in the the 1800s.

Your last line puts you firmly in the cuckoo category.
This country is too desperate

Old 06-30-2013, 11:58 AM

11,265 posts, read 13,150,322 times
Quote:
Well french canadians never described themselves as Canadians given that the word Canada "The name Canada comes from the St. Lawrence Iroquoian word kanata, meaning "village" or "settlement"
Uh....yes they did. If I remember history correctly, Cartier not only called the Iroquois Canadiens, but also the colonists, who after all, lived in the colony named Canada. Anyone immigrating to, or born in New France (Canada) after that, were called Canadiens. The term Canadien was then used to set apart the French peoples in Canada, from the French in France. French-Canadien.

Later, Canadian applied to everyone in the Great Lakes region, and eventually, the entire county.

Quote:
They described themselves as Quebecois
I really don't think so. Why would they? Unless they lived in Quebec City. "Quebec" as an actual defined area(except to describe a straight in the St. Lawrence by the Algonquin - kebec), to the best of my knowledge, did not exist until British rule. It was the British who named it Quebec, after Canada's then capital. Even then Quebec extended all the way to Illinois and Michigan.

Quote:
french-candians should have been force to learn english a long long time ago
Maybe you should have been forced to learn English a long, long, time ago?

Anyway, too bad the Brits passed the Quebec Act, huh?

Quote:
fly the fleure de lili french flag. There is nothing Canadian about them, haven't integrated, don't speak english, fly a foreign flag.

What the hell are you blabbering on about?

Does this flag fly in France?

Does this image upset you, or what? Oh no! The flag of THE PROVINCE OF QUEBEC!!!!! AH! Seperatists!!

Hey, what's British Columbia up too? Aren't they Canadian? Traitorous bastards!

This one is going to really ruffle your feathers. Here is what's flying in my city

btw, you've got the most french looking screen name on the board.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:37 PM

22,850 posts, read 19,286,589 times
What a dumb argument going on here! If you were born in Canada, you are Canadian! If you were born in Quebec, you are still Canadian but stupidly denounce it. I went to Quebec once and will never go again. English is the language of Canada isn't it? Except Quebec. Non parle englais? No get my money.

There are no hyphenated Americans in the US except African-Americans. No one goes around saying "Italian-American", "Norwegian-American", etc. We who were born here are AMERICANS. Then we say where our ancestors were from. There is no census in the US that asks you to check anything hyphenated except "African-American". It just doesn't exist. They are as "African" as I am...not. Even if their ancestors were slaves, THEY are NOT "African".

Racism? The only ones who keep it alive are the blacks. They got their "emancipation" in the 1860's and they got their right to vote and civil liberties back in the 1960's, wth more do they want? They ARE treated equally but that's not enough. I'm not saying ALL blacks are this way but the civil rights leaders keep the young and the poor all riled up that "whitey" is stompin' on 'em. THEY can call us all the racial slurs they want but God help a white person for doing the same! It's against the LAW!

I hope the Canadian government stays the way it is for the sake of Canadians. Living with "reverse discrimination" sucks.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:48 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,150,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
What a dumb argument going on here! If you were born in Canada, you are Canadian! If you were born in Quebec, you are still Canadian but stupidly denounce it. I went to Quebec once and will never go again. English is the language of Canada isn't it? Except Quebec. Non parle englais? No get my money.

There are no hyphenated Americans in the US except African-Americans. No one goes around saying "Italian-American", "Norwegian-American", etc. We who were born here are AMERICANS. Then we say where our ancestors were from. There is no census in the US that asks you to check anything hyphenated except "African-American". It just doesn't exist. They are as "African" as I am...not. Even if their ancestors were slaves, THEY are NOT "African".

Racism? The only ones who keep it alive are the blacks. They got their "emancipation" in the 1860's and they got their right to vote and civil liberties back in the 1960's, wth more do they want? They ARE treated equally but that's not enough. I'm not saying ALL blacks are this way but the civil rights leaders keep the young and the poor all riled up that "whitey" is stompin' on 'em. THEY can call us all the racial slurs they want but God help a white person for doing the same! It's against the LAW!

I hope the Canadian government stays the way it is for the sake of Canadians. Living with "reverse discrimination" sucks.

Are you high?

To your first point:

You guys even have the Hyphenated American - definition of Hyphenated American by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Quote:
1.An American who is referred to by a hyphenated term with the first word indicating an origin in a foreign country, and the second term being "American", as Irish-American, Italian-American, African-American, Asian-American.
I mean, what do you say about the first line in this guys post??

http://www.city-data.com/forum/30238426-post311.html

Quote:
Let me just start off by stating that I am an Italian-American, since my profile's been made private
To your second:

...I don't know what to say. Your paragraph speaks for itself, I suppose.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:04 PM

22,850 posts, read 19,286,589 times
To each their own. Since I am the American living here and don't just go by something I found on the web but live life everyday here, you don't think I know what I'm talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or