U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 04:04 PM

5,699 posts, read 6,553,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I meant I hoped that your government didn't pass laws that forced whitey to be PC while whitey can be verbally abused.

Whaaaa??? Wow, I never heard we were going to "invade" western Canada! My mother wanted to buy land for $11 an acre up somewhere near the NWT but dad said "no way!" Conversely, when Oz was looking for Yanks to move there, Dad wanted to and Mom said "no". BTW, how has the Yanks "invasion" gone for Oz?? Perrty darned well I would say.
There appear to be a lot of things you don't know. And I'm terribly, terribly, terribly PC. I have no worries about "whitey" being abused at all.

Natnasci already answered your last paragraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 07:27 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,510,764 times
Quote:
Whaaaa??? Wow, I never heard we were going to "invade" western Canada! My mother wanted to buy land for $11 an acre up somewhere near the NWT but dad said "no way!" Conversely, when Oz was looking for Yanks to move there, Dad wanted to and Mom said "no". BTW, how has the Yanks "invasion" gone for Oz?? Perrty darned well I would say.
Of course you were, it was part of Manifest Destiny, it was even the key issue in a presidential election, the slogan was "54-40 or fight!". The purchase of Alaska was largely for this ultimate goal of gaining control over BC, and Calgary was placed where it was to strengthen the Canadian claim to that area of the border. Remember, we'd already lost most of the Pacific Northwest as well as the Vancouver, Washington and Boise, Idaho which were founded by the British to be the major administrative centres of the Columbia District, what the Americans called Oregon Territory. Annexation of the west was barely averted by international events, domestic US politics, and some good diplomacy.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:51 PM

22,930 posts, read 19,362,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I suggest you read up on your history. Even a current restaurant in Stanley Park, The Fish House mentions the former threat on their webpage when talking about the history of the park.

"In 1886, the first city council of the burgeoning port city of Vancouver petitioned the Federal Government for the lease of an undeveloped 1000 acre peninsula from Burrard Inlet to English Bay. Prior to that time, the area went through a succession of uses, including Government occupation against possible US invasion and logging."

Also my province of British Columbia was originally going to be call New Caledonia but was not and British Columbia chosen to send a message to the U.S. that his was British territory, since the threat of invasion existed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
There appear to be a lot of things you don't know. And I'm terribly, terribly, terribly PC. I have no worries about "whitey" being abused at all.

Natnasci already answered your last paragraph.
Sorry, we were not taught the history of Canada in school, this is the US. YOU were probably taught about our history but our system didn't feel the need to teach us about yours.

Yes, I know Canadians ARE so terribly PC and middle of the road. Come live here, netwit and see how you like it here. Up there they probably wouldn't dare. Just like they wouldn't dare before the 60's here.

Whatever, go back to your silly argument. I've distracted you enough.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:38 PM

843 posts, read 1,380,712 times
Same.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:52 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,510,764 times
Quote:
Sorry, we were not taught the history of Canada in school, this is the US. YOU were probably taught about our history but our system didn't feel the need to teach us about yours.

Yes, I know Canadians ARE so terribly PC and middle of the road. Come live here, netwit and see how you like it here. Up there they probably wouldn't dare. Just like they wouldn't dare before the 60's here.

I understand that you guys aren't taught Canadian history, but this isn't really just Canadian history, it's American history to and the histories of the US, Canada-Britain, and Mexico were all very important in shaping the development of the American West, from the settlement of Louisiana with exiles from the Canadian Maritimes; the politics of Lopez de Santa Anna and how they resulted in the Texas and California Republics; to how the Yukon Goldrush shaped the West Coast, this stuff is important to understanding how the country you seem so proud of developed

Old 06-30-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:

"Them," "they" - whoever "them" and "they" are. I haven't been arguing. I've been sticking to facts with a foreigner who came to this board, not to increase their knowledge about a foreign country but with an attitude.

There's one thing I have noticed about most, but not all, people who are disparaging about the term "PC." Everyone who doesn't look like them and talk like them is a "them" and a "they" and if "them" and "they" could just go back to the "good old days" when the "thems" and "theys" knew their place, all would be well with the world.

Have a good day.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:39 AM

21,965 posts, read 27,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Uh....yes they did. If I remember history correctly, Cartier not only called the Iroquois Canadiens, but also the colonists, who after all, lived in the colony named Canada. Anyone immigrating to, or born in New France (Canada) after that, were called Canadiens. The term Canadien was then used to set apart the French peoples in Canada, from the French in France. French-Canadien.

Later, Canadian applied to everyone in the Great Lakes region, and eventually, the entire county.

I really don't think so. Why would they? Unless they lived in Quebec City. "Quebec" as an actual defined area(except to describe a straight in the St. Lawrence by the Algonquin - kebec), to the best of my knowledge, did not exist until British rule. It was the British who named it Quebec, after Canada's then capital. Even then Quebec extended all the way to Illinois and Michigan.

You are correct. French Canadians did not start referring to themselves as Québécois until the 1960s.

Canadien was a word that generally described the French-speaking settlers of the St. Lawrence valley (and a bit beyond) from the 1600s until the mid 1800s. And it even lasted until the early 1900s in some circles as people from the British Isles often still tended to identify as English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish for a long time after their permanent settlement in Canada.

And while Canada is an aboriginal word originally, no aboriginal group used it or any derivative of it as an identifier. It was a word that to them meant village, town or community. The French understood it to be the name of the land they arrived in, and then extrapolated so that the French who settled there used it as a name to identify themselves.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:41 AM

21,965 posts, read 27,429,742 times
Quote:
I meant I hoped that your government didn't pass laws that forced whitey to be PC while whitey can be verbally abused.
It's odd that Canadian bilingualism could be seen as a law that allows whitey to be verbally abused when the vast majority of French Canadians could be called whiteys too.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's odd that Canadian bilingualism could be seen as a law that allows whitey to be verbally abused when the vast majority of French Canadians could be called whiteys too.
I know, eh? Not much in the posts had any connection to anything.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:33 AM

12,716 posts, read 8,796,725 times
Quote:

As Bimbam said, this isn't just Canadian history. What I don't understand though, given your admitting not knowing about this particular part of history, why you were so certain that netwit was incorrect.
A couple of clicks and you could of found that netwit was correct, after all it wasn't an opinion they were stating.

When I was in school we were taught the history of Canada, the U.S., Europe covering both world wars, the U.K. Egypt, Greece, Roman Empire.

Last edited by Natnasci; 07-01-2013 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or