Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:04 AM

938 posts, read 1,515,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
That appears to be the case.
Wrong. It's not like I'm saying I'm superior to Mexicans who are legal or to those who were brought to the U.S. illegally when they were kids. I'm specifically addressing Mexicans who came here (to the U.S.) illegally as adults, who have no way to assimilate due to their legal status. And no need to pull out the race card here. Such a typical thing for Canadian minorities to do: hate on other minorities. That's another thing about Canada vs. the U.S.: plain vanilla White Canadians tend to be uniformly liberal, and conservatives don't really speak out in public. But the minorities are generally backwards, homophobic, sexist, ethnic nationalist, and racist.

I'm basing my numbers on the statistics from Mexican Immigrants in the United States, 2008 | Pew Hispanic Center

Last edited by usuario; 06-07-2013 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 02:12 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Wrong. It's not like I'm saying I'm superior to Mexicans who are legal or to those who were brought to the U.S. illegally when they were kids. I'm specifically addressing Mexicans who came here (to the U.S.) illegally as adults, who have no way to assimilate due to their legal status. And no need to pull out the race card here. Such a typical thing for Canadian minorities to do: hate on other minorities. That's another thing about Canada vs. the U.S.: plain vanilla White Canadians tend to be uniformly liberal, and conservatives don't really speak out in public. But the minorities are generally backwards, homophobic, sexist, ethnic nationalist, and racist.
Talk about generalizations. I am none of those things, please take your acusations elsewhere. Your the one hating.

Quote:
The biggest exception to this rule is with Hispanics in the U.S. The majority of Hispanic immigrants are illegal
Your the one that said that, Now your pointing to Mexicans only? Not all Hispanics are Illegal or Mexican. And are you really trying to convince some one that Minorities are better off in the states interms of integration?! Yeah ok.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:13 AM

47 posts, read 65,349 times
Everyone is familiar with american culture despite where they are from, not to mention american tv series dominates the world. I think this is why all most all immigrants enter america with 50% american mentality already. So easier for them to assimilate.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM

719 posts, read 2,666,413 times
Quote:

I'm basing my numbers on the statistics from Mexican Immigrants in the United States, 2008 | Pew Hispanic Center
Uhm. . . What? Maybe it's a generational difference, but when I was in Winnipeg, my group of friends consisted of recent immigrants from countries like Ethiopia, Pakistan, Russia, Brazil, and Mexico. They were just as tolerant and progressive as anybody else (moreso, as they generally had an independent, idealistic bent) and to a large degree chose to move to Canada because of its open, peaceful reputation. Needless to say, the consensus was that Canada and Winnipeg rock.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:26 PM

362 posts, read 794,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard seemingly paradoxical answers to this question. On the one hand it seems that Canada seems to put a lot of importance on embracing different cultures and celebrating diversity, yet I've also heard that there's this dichotomy in Canada, like Australia, where while this is the case, many speak of 'Canadians' as only being white or European Canadians. While a Jamaican or Chinese Canadian is still considered 'Canadian', in some contexts if that person dates a European Canadian, the latter is often referred to as a 'Canadian' while the other person is spoken of as a Jamaican or a Chinese person.

In the US, by contrast, it seems that one's Americanness is not in any way compromised or lessened by their race or ethnicity, except in certain more racist areas or in the eyes of a few racial supremacists.

I've often heard Canada along with the UK called the 'least racist country on earth', and while this might be true, how strong are ethnic communities in Canada vs the US? Especially among second and later generation?

Toronto has a surprisingly large Italian population, for instance, yet this does not seem to be a major part of it's cultural fabric (at least to outsiders who've never been). Whereas cities in the Northeast are well known for their Italian communities and culture. In contrast, the Asian, particularly Chinese, communities seem well-known in Toronto and Vancouver. Is it merely because Europeans have assimilated more into mainstream Canadian culture? I don't think Ukrainian communities stand out much anymore but I may be wrong.

Overall, however, do you feel it's easier for an immigrant to be accepted as a Canadian or an American? Would it vary by region (e.g. Newfoundland or rural West Virginia vs Toronto and San Francisco).
Your post is contradiciting at points and difficult for me to understand, particularly the italian and jamaican and chinese parts. But it is easier for an immigrants to be accepted as American in America.

Canada is one of the MORE racist countries, and this was told to me by several blacks who use to live in ALABAMA.

fUNNY how people are going to call Canada the least racist country when they still burn crosses on black people's lawn.
N.S. man guilty of hate crime in cross-burning - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Given how every week it seems someone draws swatiskas in southern ontario on some monument or someone's home, I don't get how canada can be the least racist country.

If the average American heard the way the average Canadian speaks when they think no minorities are around they'd know who the real racist are and it isn't americans.

I think the hypenated Canadian is highly present throughout Canada. Look at Quebec, an entire province of hypenated Canadians, they aren't canadians they are french-canadians, quebecers, quebecois whatever but they aren't assimilated don't speak english and don't often define themselves as plain canadians. Only Canadians of english descent generally do not state readily where they are REALLY from. Canada has no real culture to integrate into.

America has a well defined melting pot culture, you come to America you are expected to act American. Canada is a cultural mosiac, you come to canada, you can keep acting ukranian or russian or chinese or italian or french, you don't have to integrate and you don't have to learn english.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:51 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,151 times
The racism in Canada mainly comes from immigrants with hate and from liberals with condescending love, you really don't see cross burning and swastikas by right wing racists in Canada, who are mainly confined to the underground, out of the mainstream.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:11 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
Ironically, I think there's more racism and xenophobia in the US; but at the same time, there's also a higher ceiling of opportunity for assimilation/integration for minorities and immigrants. I have no experience of actually living in Canada, so I can't say I am completely aware of what day to day life is like for an immigrant or minority in Canada; but empirical evidence suggests that my the second point of my first sentence might be correct.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
His post is contradictory? You're not seriously basing your position on a cross burning in Nova Scotia or a subjective position on "how Canadians talk" about immigrants, are you? When it's far too easy to counter that with the Paula Deen stuff hitting the news, and cross-burnings in the US? Cross Burning

And what does integration have to do with racism? I'm a hyphenated Canadian and I have no desire whatsoever to assimilate into nothingness. The best part about Canada is that Russians can remain Russian, etc. Most people never immigrated to "become" something else but rather to become 'more' themselves, with the freedom to do that. We don't have to be the Borg and assimilate everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramouchebluez View Post
Your post is contradiciting at points and difficult for me to understand, particularly the italian and jamaican and chinese parts. But it is easier for an immigrants to be accepted as American in America.

Canada is one of the MORE racist countries, and this was told to me by several blacks who use to live in ALABAMA.

fUNNY how people are going to call Canada the least racist country when they still burn crosses on black people's lawn.
N.S. man guilty of hate crime in cross-burning - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Given how every week it seems someone draws swatiskas in southern ontario on some monument or someone's home, I don't get how canada can be the least racist country.

If the average American heard the way the average Canadian speaks when they think no minorities are around they'd know who the real racist are and it isn't americans.

I think the hypenated Canadian is highly present throughout Canada. Look at Quebec, an entire province of hypenated Canadians, they aren't canadians they are french-canadians, quebecers, quebecois whatever but they aren't assimilated don't speak english and don't often define themselves as plain canadians. Only Canadians of english descent generally do not state readily where they are REALLY from. Canada has no real culture to integrate into.

America has a well defined melting pot culture, you come to America you are expected to act American. Canada is a cultural mosiac, you come to canada, you can keep acting ukranian or russian or chinese or italian or french, you don't have to integrate and you don't have to learn english.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:45 PM

362 posts, read 794,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
His post is contradictory? You're not seriously basing your position on a cross burning in Nova Scotia or a subjective position on "how Canadians talk" about immigrants, are you? When it's far too easy to counter that with the Paula Deen stuff hitting the news, and cross-burnings in the US? Cross Burning

And what does integration have to do with racism? I'm a hyphenated Canadian and I have no desire whatsoever to assimilate into nothingness. The best part about Canada is that Russians can remain Russian, etc. Most people never immigrated to "become" something else but rather to become 'more' themselves, with the freedom to do that. We don't have to be the Borg and assimilate everyone.
Yeah because racist incident like burning a cross on an interracial couples lawn and general anti black xenophobic comments have no correlation of racism in broader society

You take a visit to national post Paula Deena article and see the droves of Canadians people supporting her racist speech it makes it hard to believe that America could possibly be more racist.

well when we let the jews come here and still play israeli and then let the muslims come here and still play muslim you get the big racial protest on the university campuses between two groups of people who've never even set foot in israel or palestine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Ironically, I think there's more racism and xenophobia in the US; but at the same time, there's also a higher ceiling of opportunity for assimilation/integration for minorities and immigrants. I have no experience of actually living in Canada, so I can't say I am completely aware of what day to day life is like for an immigrant or minority in Canada; but empirical evidence suggests that my the second point of my first sentence might be correct.
When Canada elects a non white to lead an office on the provincial level I'll believe they are less racist.

Quote:
The racism in Canada mainly comes from immigrants with hate and from liberals with condescending love, you really don't see cross burning and swastikas by right wing racists in Canada, who are mainly confined to the underground, out of the mainstream.
You think chinese, korean, somalis and afghans are drawing swastikas

Old 06-24-2013, 07:55 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramouchebluez View Post
Yeah because racist incident like burning a cross on an interracial couples lawn and general anti black xenophobic comments have no correlation of racism in broader society

You take a visit to national post Paula Deena article and see the droves of Canadians people supporting her racist speech it makes it hard to believe that America could possibly be more racist.

well when we let the jews come here and still play israeli and then let the muslims come here and still play muslim you get the big racial protest on the university campuses between two groups of people who've never even set foot in israel or palestine

When Canada elects a non white to lead an office on the provincial level I'll believe they are less racist.

You think chinese, korean, somalis and afghans are drawing swastikas
Sigh. I think you should reread what you just wrote and then try again. You make no sense at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada