U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 03:51 PM

312 posts, read 946,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post

Who told you that?

The unemployment rate in the city has fluctuated between 4.6 and 5.9% over the course of 2012. That's roughly equivalent to Alberta as a whole, and quite far ahead of many other cities in the country

As of 2011, the job vacancy rate in the Lethbridge/Medicine Hat region was slightly below the provincial average, but higher than that of Calgary or Red Deer.

It is true that earnings in the city are somewhat lower,, though not substantially, than the national average. Judging by average wages, it seems likely that the lagging average incomes are not caused solely by poor pay, as incomes within the region are comparable to provincial averages in most sectors.

All in all, I'm not sure how any of those numbers add up to really poor job prospects and an economy in bad shape.
I just assumed because of the small population. I guess all of Alberta has good job oppertunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,722 times
I've been closer to Calgary a lot, but only visit Lethbridge, Med Hat, Red Deer, etc.
All these smaller cities seem quite liveable, much less crowded and costly than Calgary (parking downtown is about $18/day!) Less coslty housing. All have adequate shopping, good local entertainment, but lack big and "multicult" entertainment. So if you need that, go to Toronto or Detroit... please go!

Lethbridge is the warmest, but has cold spells. And strong winds at times! As for jobs, it very much depends upon what you know and what career you seek. Big city jobs (MBAs) are mostly in Calgary, but if you seek to avoid the corporate jungle and climbing its towers (moving at the whim of your "gods") then smaller cities are great, especially if you like European Christian culture and ways. Lethbridge, Red Deer, & Med Hat all linked to the land; your green thumb can find good opportunities. "Survivalism" is more likely outside big cities that mostly parasitize the lowly food and fuel producers that make Alberta rich. Drumheller, much smaller, is also worth considering, with its nice microclimate in a valley, with fantastic Paleontology museum of Earth history, and events of our culture.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:03 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,701,194 times
Lethbridge sucks. Stick it out in Sudbury. At least you've got SRO, The Buddha, and Fionn McCools. Lethbridge has hick prairie bars.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:22 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,654,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
Lethbridge sucks. Stick it out in Sudbury. At least you've got SRO, The Buddha, and Fionn McCools. Lethbridge has hick prairie bars.

Demographics says you're an idiot. Nearly 1/4 of Lethbridge's population is University/College students. Not surprisingly, there are a ton of bars that cater to them, most of whom are not "hicks".

Old 03-16-2013, 12:24 AM

5,692 posts, read 6,539,959 times
^^I happen to have very fond memories of hick prairie bars...

Old 03-16-2013, 03:43 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,448,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
Didn't Finn Mcools just open up? Are you from here?

Old 06-25-2014, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,379 times
Lethbridge is what I would call a stable city where the inflation rate is not getting as bad as the rest of Alberta. The city is clean. Property taxes are pretty darn high and cost of electricity too since the city got screwed over in that deal. Average wage is lower than the rest of Alberta. Lethbridge has a SWAT police unit despite calling itself a small town... Concerning the conservatism, people are somehow racist and will tell you racist comments right into your face. Brief you better SPEAK WHITE down there. There are absolutely no incentive to attract younger generations. I moved out 4 years ago after living there for a long 3 years and definetely have no desire to go back...

Old 06-25-2014, 09:22 PM

2,175 posts, read 1,753,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloune View Post
Lethbridge is what I would call a stable city where the inflation rate is not getting as bad as the rest of Alberta. The city is clean. Property taxes are pretty darn high and cost of electricity too since the city got screwed over in that deal. Average wage is lower than the rest of Alberta. Lethbridge has a SWAT police unit despite calling itself a small town...
I believe that Lethbridge refers to itself as a city, not a small town.

Property taxes are not high. If anything, they could be higher. That way, the city's snow-clearing budget would not be exhausted in December, and roads could be cleared during the rest of the winter. Plus, they could roll the city's "user fees" (y'know, for things like sewage and garbage collection) into property taxes, like they do elsewhere in Canada. When added up, my Alberta property taxes and city user fees total what I would pay in property taxes--and only property taxes--in Ontario.

Quote:
Concerning the conservatism, people are somehow racist and will tell you racist comments right into your face. Brief you better SPEAK WHITE down there. There are absolutely no incentive to attract younger generations. I moved out 4 years ago after living there for a long 3 years and definetely have no desire to go back...
What does "speaking white" mean? We speak English in Lethbridge, for the most part. There are some French-Canadians, and they speak French amongst themselves, but English to the rest of us. Local First Nations speak Blackfoot; I have heard it a number of times, though I don't understand a word (a Blackfoot-speaking FN friend has tried to teach me such things as hello, goodbye, please, and thanks; but as most FNs speak English, my knowledge is rarely used).

As for racism--well, I've been called a racist because I won't give change or cigarettes to First Nations. But when I'm in Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver, I don't give to street beggars of any colour either, so I don't see how racism enters into the picture.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:18 AM

564 posts, read 878,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
As for racism...I don't see how racism enters into the picture.
I think what the poster meant was that some people will drop racial epithets and slurs in casual conversations without a second thought as to who might be listening or in the room. Some people still talk like its 1950's Mississippi.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 210 times
How come nobody is mentioning the snakes on west side and in the coulees . I am over thinking this or is there a real problem here with this. We are looking to relocate there on the west side but after reading somethings, I am totally rethinking this . I worry for my 4 year old daughter as well as my animals .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or