Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 06:35 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times

Advertisements

It seems that Trudeau wants a deal with the US and Mexico, except when it comes to "cultural exceptions"....

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...fta-talks.html

Really!! Come on now. When I lived in Canada I could not believe that Canada had a Canadian content rule!! Are Canadians that insecure in their culture that they need to limit ideas and content from abroad??

Really...now. If I was still living in Canada I would be livid. Canada is a fine country. I am sure that you do not need "cultural exceptions" to survive as a independent country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 11:59 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,130,834 times
Racist? Whatever...

In any event, I enjoy listening to the Canadian music I likely otherwise wouldn't hear on the radio if the plaque that is iHeart radio was allowed to propagate unimpeded across Canada as they have in the US.

Kinda sucks sometimes when i can't watch certain Netflix shows or access video feed from news sites, but otherwise it doesn't bother me.

In short, if we allowed unfettered US access to radio, TV etc we would end up with the same vanilla cr*p Americans have to put up with. At least our cr*p employs Canadians.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Racist? Whatever...

In any event, I enjoy listening to the Canadian music I likely otherwise wouldn't hear on the radio if the plaque that is iHeart radio was allowed to propagate unimpeded across Canada as they have in the US.

Kinda sucks sometimes when i can't watch certain Netflix shows or access video feed from news sites, but otherwise it doesn't bother me.

In short, if we allowed unfettered US access to radio, TV etc we would end up with the same vanilla cr*p Americans have to put up with. At least our cr*p employs Canadians.
That has nothing to do with Canadian content law, but copyright law. People in the US can't watch CBC live on their app for example. Also there are shows that are on Canadian Netflix that aren't on US Netflix.

The rest I agree with.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:47 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
You have a government run TV and radio broadcast network that blankets the entire country. And on top of that you have a 50% (this was true in the 70’s and assume true today) Canadian content rule.
It has nothing to do with Iheart....it has to do with the 50% Canadian content rule. Which reflects the British Canada and to a lesser extent French Canada. The immigrants to Canada are NOT represented since that is NOT Canadian content in many cases.

What is it with Canadian nationalism? Really, Trudeau calls Trump a nationalist!! Trump has never proposed limits on foreign content in the US. SONY owns the major recording and film studio in the US.

How can Trudeau call Trump a nationalist with a straight face??

One of my disappointments of living in Canada was the insistence on CANADIAN values...like the Queen, Canadian content like bad music and books, and Government censorship over news reporting.

As a immigrant, and talking to other immigrants it was become white-toast Canadian or to a much lesser extent white-toast French-Canadian.

Canada needs to become less nationalistic and more welcoming to its immigrants and embrace diversity. I won’t even raise the issue of the First Nations treatment in Canada.

Trump pushing Canada into the 21st century...one trade negotiation at a time.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:04 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
You have a government run TV and radio broadcast network that blankets the entire country. And on top of that you have a 50% (this was true in the 70’s and assume true today) Canadian content rule.
It has nothing to do with Iheart....it has to do with the 50% Canadian content rule. Which reflects the British Canada and to a lesser extent French Canada. The immigrants to Canada are NOT represented since that is NOT Canadian content in many cases.

What is it with Canadian nationalism? Really, Trudeau calls Trump a nationalist!! Trump has never proposed limits on foreign content in the US. SONY owns the major recording and film studio in the US.

One of my disappointments of living in Canada was the insistence on CANADIAN values...like the Queen, Canadian content like bad music and books, and Government censorship over news reporting.

As a immigrant, and talking to other immigrants it was become white-toast Canadian or to a much lesser extent white-toast French-Canadian.

Canada needs to become less nationalistic and more welcoming to its immigrants and embrace diversity. I won’t even raise the issue of the First Nations treatment in Canada.

I’ll bite

Canada is in a much different position than the USA
Canada is the little guy next to big guy....big guy can easily swamp little guy ....
USA doesn’t need content % rules,
USA, being the big guy....doesn’t need to impose limits on foreign content...
in fact the USA provides entertainment contents for the
entire world...

As for immigrants and visible minorities....Canada has come a long was since you lived in Canada
back in the 1970s.

Watch closely at canadian TV commercials, you will see many more visible minorities than in the
past, also, here in the Toronto area, when I watch local newscasts I see reporters and anchors
that now reflect the diversity that is Toronto, another very positive development.
However, when I watch Buffalo newscasts, I still see mostly whites with a couple black reporters,
almost zero asians. Granted, Buffalo is not exactly on the same diversity level as Toronto.

As for for First Nations, I don’t think the USA has done much better in terms of treatment.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:03 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post

As for for First Nations, I don’t think the USA has done much better in terms of treatment.
Well you don't have to treat them as well if you slaughter them all in the first place.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:46 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,130,834 times
Quote:

How very trollish of you...

Old 09-08-2018, 07:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
[quote]
Quote:

Sounds like you Voted for trump. I'm not seeing much diversity at those trumps rallies if you are holding up trumps America as an example of diversity.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:20 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
[quote=jambo101;53028377]
Quote:
Sounds like you Voted for trump. I'm not seeing much diversity at those trumps rallies if you are holding up trumps America as an example of diversity.
Haaar! Of more import to Canadians, was the rally crowd actually cheering the buffoon when he stated he could ruin Canada.

I remember a significant sample of American butthurt against Muslims was premised upon the fallacy that they were observed cheering from the rooftops when those planes hit their buildings.

Now Canada must absorb the fact that for some Americans, the ruination of Canada at their hands would be laudable.

These are interesting times indeed.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:48 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:

I think I can speak for some here, and thank-you. Thank-you for leaving Canada. I for one am glad you and your so called " values " are in a better place. Your ignorance is astounding...like you think it's the 1970's still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada