U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 12:45 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,445,399 times

Advertisements

I remember being on a bus in central BC last year and hearing some women talk about how one of them moved out of BC (near Chase) to Lethbridge because the cost of living was too high in BC. I kind of felt bad hearing that because I assumed Lethbridge must be a boring prairie town until I looked in to it.

Seems like a nice little town, pretty much in the foothills, and according to wiki, winters aren't near as bad as Calgary or Edmonton's. Is this true? Or is it just the chinook relief that makes it sound milder on paper? Anything to do over there? I live in Sudbury, Ontario...in case you need a reference point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 01:48 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,653,385 times
Lethbridge is a pretty nice town.

The city is just outside the foothills. On a clear day, you can see the mountains from town. You can make it up into the Crowsnest in maybe 45 minutes. Lots to see and do up there, too, if you like being outside (or underground - there's mine tours and caves to explore - and natural underground swimming pools, if you know the right places to look )

The Oldman River coulees are also one of the nicest parks I've seen. The main river coulee is roughly a mile wide and runs the length of the city. They've done a little development of it, though much of it is still just cottonwood bottomland. It's nice though, once you're in the bottom of the coulee, you can't see or hear the city at all.

Amenity-wise, it's got what a standard 80,000 person city does. It's a huge college town though - 10 or 15,000 students total, so lots of stuff catering to that demographic.

Winters can still get as cold as Calgary or Edmonton, but chinooks are frequent enough that cold snaps rarely last more than 3 or 4 days at a time. A word of warning, though - chinooks are not nearly as pleasant as they seem. Winds will exceed 100 km/h at times (The record, I think, is something like 180 km/h, though that was in Pincher Creek, a little ways west of Lethbridge) and you'll be navigating a sloppy mess, as temperatures will swing 40 or more degrees in 24 hours, and everything melts at once.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:32 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,649,157 times
It's not as cold as Sudbury. Imagine weather in central Montana, I would think it is similar. Cold windy but dry winters with some 'warm' spells to 0 to 10 C now and then.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:44 AM

312 posts, read 945,679 times
I've been to Lethbridge. I did not enjoy it. It has no real downtown and it's packed with students. It is basically a town with 60k people. It's just not my kind of city.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 PM

4,234 posts, read 7,264,181 times
Is there still a beautiful flower garden at the top of the big hill at Lethbridge? That was one of the highlights of my trip when I was making regular runs into Alberta and B.C. in the trucking business.
GL2

Old 10-02-2012, 07:32 PM

216 posts, read 360,567 times
It might not have as much excitement as a "big" city, but if you're looking to buy a house there could definitely be worse options out there. I'd live in lethbridge before I lived anywhere east of Winnipeg, or Ontario that's for sure.
Just hang on to your hat! She's windy!

Old 10-02-2012, 11:27 PM

831 posts, read 933,255 times
Lethbridge, like all of Southern Alberta is a very conservative city. It is also a very pretty and clean city with great river valley and pleasant downtown and a fairly vibrant one to boot. The countryside is very nice and the Rockies are just a short drive and Calgary is 3 hours away for the big city stuff. It can get very cold in the winyter but gets a lot of Chinnooks and it is very dry so there is ussually very little snow on the ground. Due to it's dry climate and lack of pollution it is often recommended as one of the best cities to live in if you have breathing problems which is why many seniors choose it.

It is also one of the windiest cities in the country so there is a wind chill but at the same time it is very sunny and has low humidity.

I don't think I would want to live there but I've been several times and it always struck me as a very pleasant and liveable city.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 PM

312 posts, read 945,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Lethbridge, like all of Southern Alberta is a very conservative city. It is also a very pretty and clean city with great river valley and pleasant downtown and a fairly vibrant one to boot. The countryside is very nice and the Rockies are just a short drive and Calgary is 3 hours away for the big city stuff. It can get very cold in the winyter but gets a lot of Chinnooks and it is very dry so there is ussually very little snow on the ground. Due to it's dry climate and lack of pollution it is often recommended as one of the best cities to live in if you have breathing problems which is why many seniors choose it.

It is also one of the windiest cities in the country so there is a wind chill but at the same time it is very sunny and has low humidity.

I don't think I would want to live there but I've been several times and it always struck me as a very pleasant and liveable city.
Yeah but the job prospects in Lethbridge are really poor and the economy is not in good shape so it may not be very livable.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 AM

377 posts, read 1,515,387 times
I've spent a fair bit of time in Lethbridge on business and haven't really enjoyed it. It's basically a small, ultra conservative prairie city - but doesn't feel prosperous like the rest of Alberta.

Personally I'd pick one of the smaller cities that is a reasonable commutable distance from Calgary, like Airdrie, Okotoks, High River etc.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,653,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
Yeah but the job prospects in Lethbridge are really poor and the economy is not in good shape so it may not be very livable.

Who told you that?

The unemployment rate in the city has fluctuated between 4.6 and 5.9% over the course of 2012. That's roughly equivalent to Alberta as a whole, and quite far ahead of many other cities in the country

As of 2011, the job vacancy rate in the Lethbridge/Medicine Hat region was slightly below the provincial average, but higher than that of Calgary or Red Deer.

It is true that earnings in the city are somewhat lower,, though not substantially, than the national average. Judging by average wages, it seems likely that the lagging average incomes are not caused solely by poor pay, as incomes within the region are comparable to provincial averages in most sectors.

All in all, I'm not sure how any of those numbers add up to really poor job prospects and an economy in bad shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or