U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 04:09 AM

34,434 posts, read 41,537,489 times

Advertisements

Driven through the Gulf states many times,nothing special stands out other than its usually way too hot and humid most of the time,the people are friendly especially the black folk,some nice beaches,i like Cajun and Creole cooking, spent a week in Pascagoula back in the 70's,talk of the town was a recent UFO incident.Also spent a week in Lake Charles (Car broke down) a local black family took me in for the week while they waited for parts to fix my car,great cooking very friendly people,thanks.
Oh yeah, do they really need that many churches? it like theres one on every corner.

PS Is Florida part of Dixie? i never thought anything south of Tallahassee rated as being called Dixie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 08:00 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,501,190 times
Me neither, the people don't really sound Southern and I always got the impression it was another region of the US somehow. I've been to Orlando and Miami, but I don't think that counts, that's not a real Southern experience.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:04 AM

21,960 posts, read 27,390,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Where in Mississippi have you been, M. Acajack?

CKB
Meridian, Hattiesburg and all along the gulf coast (Gulfport, Biloxi, Bay St. Louis, Pass Christian).

Old 06-20-2012, 01:02 PM

285 posts, read 611,305 times
I've been to Nashville, Memphis, Clarksdale (MS), Atlanta, Charlotte and Columbia. If you count Florida, I've been to Tampa.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 AM

9,552 posts, read 9,431,995 times
If you find yourself in Memphis, swing by this place:

Home of the 4lb Burger | Kooky Canuck Restaurant in Memphis, TN

Look me up and you can invite me there to buy me lunch!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:23 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,579,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
I'm not on a high horse. I was born and raised in a southern state. I have also lived in the northeast of the U.S.

I have also been to many countries throughout the world, as well as most major U.S. cities and several Canadian ones as well.

I have never seen a higher concentration of ignorant people than in the U.S. south.

Megachurches... hordes of obese people... mindless flag-waving "patriotism"... intolerance for people with other religious beliefs... deep fried food and oversweetened "tea"...
All of that stuff is available anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (except maybe Quebec), but it's most pronounced in good ol' Dixie!
The true "ignorant" people are people that post these kinds of posts.....yep.

And you have a problem with Americans being patriotic? I don't get that at all. Why does it bother you so? Why would you give a care?

Old 03-24-2013, 05:48 PM

18,326 posts, read 10,398,747 times
My wife and I have toured throughout the entire U.S. many times on the back of a Harley and later towing a big ass fifth wheel trailer and can recount wonderful experiences in Savannah, Macon, Charleston, Montgomery.

Even had to bend the whole unit around a water tower built smack dab in the middle of the road in Albany I think it was.

Walking the river dockside in Savannah with the historical plaques commemorating the slave trade facts of the city and staying away from Paula Deen's restaurant. Love the lady hate the commercilized aspect of suposed fine southern dining where they jam pack you in and rush you through your meal then move you on out.

Stay at a bed and breakfast rather than a hotel and you'll enjoy the true southern hospitality up close and personal. The people in general are of the type that would give you the shirt off their back if they thought you needed it.

Some of our finest memories of the south are rolled up into staying at Jacques Lafitte's House Hotel in the French Quarter of N'ahleans and walking Bourbon Street listening to the great entertainment in everyone of the sidewalk clubs with a drink in hand.

We would typically roll into an RV Park set up and beat feet into the nearest little town to sample the local culture from the history, the people to the food.

I loved it down here and am now wintering in Florida every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada