U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 07:02 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows about it, but now even WSJ is reporting on it

Canadians Crowd U.S. Airports. Why? Taxes - WSJ.com

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/i...0607180025.jpg

While greedy Canadian government is charging everyone cent it can on its passengers, the US airports were smart enough to take advantage of it and grow exponentially, literally.

Niagara Falls, NY airport saw 986% growth in 4 years, and 85% passengers are Canadian.

On Spirit's inaugural flight from Plattsburgh, passengers didn't budge when the gate agent asked them to begin boarding. "Then she said it in French," said Sonia Cruz, a Spirit director of airport services, "and everyone lined up."

Will you take Canadian airlines just because you want to "Save our jobs"? I don't think so, nor can our government expect people to, especially when the price difference for a family can amount to mover $1,000. Ottawa needs to face this and fix it. Just by charging more on everyone doesn't mean you will end up with higher revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 07:06 PM

353 posts, read 804,322 times
This is what we get when we arbitrarily charge our Canadian friends $5.50 to come to our country by airplanes. It's cheaper to come to the US by road and fly domestically from Bellingham to Honolulu than go to YVR and pay this $5.50 fee.

Canada News: U.S. won’t budge on entry fee for Canadian travellers

"The U.S. will charge Canadian air and sea travellers $5.50 to enter the country even as the two governments have pledged to drop barriers to cross-border traffic."

Old 06-10-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
This is what we get when we arbitrarily charge our Canadian friends $5.50 to come to our country by airplanes. It's cheaper to come to the US by road and fly domestically from Bellingham to Honolulu than go to YVR and pay this $5.50 fee.

Canada News: U.S. won’t budge on entry fee for Canadian travellers

"The U.S. will charge Canadian air and sea travellers $5.50 to enter the country even as the two governments have pledged to drop barriers to cross-border traffic."
won't make a difference if the US charges $25.
The US wins in any scenario. Canada simply prefers charge, charge, charge, instead of sit down and run the airport like a real business.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:08 PM

18,284 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
won't make a difference if the US charges $25.
The US wins in any scenario. Canada simply prefers charge, charge, charge, instead of sit down and run the airport like a real business.
Right on!

This Canadian was looking forward to grabbing a Direct Air flight out of Niagara Falls NY direct to Lakeland Florida and had they performed a reasonable business plan and charged a business sutaining seat price instead of the paltry $79 they were charging , they might still be in business. A $5.50 entrance fee will not deter this traveller as I know Canada charges far more than that in hidden taxes to fly into any Canadian airport.

Here's the deal for us in southwestern Ontario; we can shuttle car ourselves across the border, catch a flight to Tampa or Orlando and pay well over $100.00 per seat and STILL SAVE MONEY after paying the shuttle car costs. If you are going for less than a month; drive your car and plan an overnighter in a hotel close to the airport where you will get free parking for up to 21 days, have a good nights sleep, take the hotel shuttle to the airport, enjoy your flight and vacation, return, pick up your car and drive back home with having saved a bundle over using anything to do with Pearson where you must mortgage your first born to pay any long term parking rate.

Canadian airlines have just about screwed themselves out of this market entirely with their greed mentality.

Flying with Air Canada out of Pearson is no onger in this travellers itinery ever again as they charge airport taxes up the ying yang, additonal baggage charges up the other ying-yang and treat you like crap in the bargain. Nope!

We will find a way to get to Buffalo or some other airport just across the border and wing it from there even if the net cost is slightly higher which it almost certainly wont be.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:27 PM

Even the Aeroplan sucks.

If you have 15,000 miles and think you can fly from Toronto to New York for free, you got it all wrong! you have to pay additional $150+ all sorts of surcharges, which Air Canada sneakily put outside the base fare.

On the other hand, if you do the same in the US, the additional charges on top of you mileage seldom exceeds $50, sometimes less than $20. Which is why I have decided to ditch Aeroplan because it is becoming more and more useless. I will switch to UA etc instead. I will try to avoid Air Canada as much as possible.

I know we are a small market where fixed cost is higher per person blah blah, that's hardly the whole story. Air Canada is in no meaningful competition and therefore it simply doesn't have the incentive to be efficient and cut unnecessary costs, unlike the US where the competition is almost cutting throat.

Let's not kid ourselves by saying "I am Canadian so I don't mind paying a bit more to keep the jobs in Canada". We are already paying a little bit more on clothing, computers, furniture, books everything. Jobs should be created by the government and big corporations through skillful planning and operation, instead of relying on our silly patriotism by paying more for what is not worth.

Pearson Airport is one of the world's most expensive airport to fly from, and God knows why. I am sure it is definitely not one of the world's best in terms of infrastructure, service and amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada