U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 08-22-2012, 02:03 PM
 
3,098 posts, read 2,108,993 times
Reputation: 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Look, I'm a proud Canadian, but there are real and tangible reasons why it's better to be in the US. Reasons why Canada is better too, but climate and economics are at the top of my list.
same here #1 is weather, I also don't like the high taxes I pay which in turn pay for the 'free' healthcare that certain posters love to boast about. The fact that I cannot just get the alcohol i want when I want because in Ontario for example its controlled by the Government. There is a drink I want to by that the LCBO has decided to not carry any more, and because no one else is allowed to sell Liquor I guess i'm SOL!!..things like this make me want to leave the country. But don't get me wrong there are good things about the country as well, its safer and more liberal minded, more diverse/tolerant (at least in my personal experience).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2012, 02:10 PM
 
3,098 posts, read 2,108,993 times
Reputation: 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by atethepaint View Post
Climate-wise, I stick to my guns. It is better to be in Victoria than it is Chicago or New York or even Seattle. SF and Dallas and Miami and even Tulsa are obviously much better, but because of the vast variations in climate in America, I honestly don't think one can compare the "Canadian" climates with the "American" ones. It's better to compare regions. If you don't like snow, don't move from British Columbia to Colorado.
You can stick to your guns all you like it doesn't change the fact that if you seek mild weather and by mild I mean not dipping for one day below 10C in the Winter, its not to be found here. And Victoria's weather is nothing to write home about...based on wiki:

"At the Victoria Gonzales weather station, daily temperatures rise above 30 C (86 F) on average less than one day per year and fall below 0 C (32.0 F) on average only ten nights per year. Victoria has recorded completely freeze-free winter seasons three times (in 1957/58, 1999/2000, and 2002/03). During the winter, the average daily high and low temperatures are 8 and 4 C (46.4 and 39.2 F), respectively. The summer months are equally mild, with an average high temperature of 20 C (68 F) and low of 11 C (51.8 F), although inland areas often experience warmer daytime highs. Victoria does occasionally experience more extreme temperatures. "

The reason I could never move to BC is the lackluster summers, sorry, but 20C is a cooler night time temperature in Southern Ontario in the summer not the high as it seems to be in Victoria!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 02:23 PM
 
Location: London, UK & Doha, Qatar
1,680 posts, read 1,136,411 times
Reputation: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by atethepaint View Post
US Federal Taxes: 10% - 35%
US Lowest Tax-Bracket (before bumping to 25%): $8,500

Canadian Federal Taxes: 15% - 29%
Canadian Lowest Tax-Bracket (before bumping to 28%): $41,544

While Canadian tax-rates are slightly higher, the average middle-income earner in Canada pays slightly less tax than his/her counterpart in America due to the higher bottom tax bracket.

State and provincial taxes can, of course, make this formula more complicated. Most American states have lower taxes than Canadian provinces (10% in Nova Scotia compared to 5.8% in Massachusetts), but not always (0% in Alberta compared to 10.2% in New York).

Do Canadians Really Pay More Taxes Than Americans?

The taxes Americans really pay, in two graphs - The Washington Post

Just like everything in North America, it makes more sense to compare two regions than entire countries.
Those two links didn't exactly deal with my question. I asked about tax burden and what people actually do pay in taxes when they file. Not the Marginal tax rates as you are dealing with. Those tax rates mean nothing to me, what my return states my tax rate is matters.

The Washington Post article is a good one, but it also factors in services received, which is relevant to you if you need those services, but irrelevant when dealing with tax burdens.

Also while the tax rate is lower in Canada for lower-middle income families, in the US 60% of all families do not pay any Federal Taxes and lower income families benefit from the EIC, which affords them a refund in addition to paying no Federal Taxes.

As someone who has filed taxes in Ontario, Florida, Massachusetts and New York (also being a CPA and CMA myself) I can convincingly say that my tax burden is significantly lower in the US than Canada. It is actually not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Old Toronto, Canada
3,629 posts, read 2,536,154 times
Reputation: 2123
[quote=atethepaint;25757034]

1) Victoria and the parts of British Columbia offer substantially better weather year-round than New York City, Chicago, Boston, and some years even Seattle and Portland. The weather in Victoria this year was +7 C in February and reached a high of +34 C in July and August. It only dropped below 0 C on one day in January.

really, Victoria? How many people will actually live in Victoria?

Victoria may not be a cold city in Canada, but it is still a cold city by either American or world standard. Winter 2011 is not representive of how cold winters are in Canada.

Yes, Victoria is warmer than Chicago and Boston, but what if I want something warmer? You know what, Victoria is as warm as it gets, but there are plenty of real warm cities in Amerca. In addition, what can one do in Victoria? I can put up with the cold weather in Boston and chicago, because these cities offer so much of everything, Victoria? Why would anyone live there if you are not in retirement age, even for Canadians?

To deny the US offers more weather options is simply childish denial.


Quote:
Originally Posted by atethepaint View Post

2) 10 US cities are not larger than Toronto. In fact, Toronto, with 5.3 million, is the fifth largest city in North America (not including Mexico) after Chicago. Montreal, with 3.2 million, and Vancouver, with 2.1 million, are also thriving centres of commerce, arts and everything in between. Cities like Ottawa (1 million) and Calgary (nearly 1 million) are quickly becoming the same.
Vancouver's job market is pathetic. Let's not even go there. Ottawa etc are pretty small cities (yes, 1M for the metro is small for someone who have lived in real cities). Montreal is a good place, but how many non-francophones will actually choose there to live?

The only large city with ample jobs and acceptable weather is Toronto. That's it. In the US, four cities are larger than it, and another 8 are close in its size (4-6 million), all with decent job market and weather.

I can't believe someone would actually against the conclusion that American cities offer better weather and job opportunities in general.

List of North American metropolitan areas by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
51 posts, read 68,702 times
Reputation: 107
[quote=botticelli;25759440]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atethepaint View Post

1) Victoria and the parts of British Columbia offer substantially better weather year-round than New York City, Chicago, Boston, and some years even Seattle and Portland. The weather in Victoria this year was +7 C in February and reached a high of +34 C in July and August. It only dropped below 0 C on one day in January.

really, Victoria? How many people will actually live in Victoria?

Victoria may not be a cold city in Canada, but it is still a cold city by either American or world standard. Winter 2011 is not representive of how cold winters are in Canada.

Yes, Victoria is warmer than Chicago and Boston, but what if I want something warmer? You know what, Victoria is as warm as it gets, but there are plenty of real warm cities in Amerca. In addition, what can one do in Victoria? I can put up with the cold weather in Boston and chicago, because these cities offer so much of everything, Victoria? Why would anyone live there if you are not in retirement age, even for Canadians?

To deny the US offers more weather options is simply childish denial.




Vancouver's job market is pathetic. Let's not even go there. Ottawa etc are pretty small cities (yes, 1M for the metro is small for someone who have lived in real cities). Montreal is a good place, but how many non-francophones will actually choose there to live?

The only large city with ample jobs and acceptable weather is Toronto. That's it. In the US, four cities are larger than it, and another 8 are close in its size (4-6 million), all with decent job market and weather.

I can't believe someone would actually against the conclusion that American cities offer better weather and job opportunities in general.

List of North American metropolitan areas by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Obviously you missed the entire point, so before you go slapping heads maybe read what I wrote. Nowhere did I deny the fact that the US has more weather options. I said that I was arguing that one individual had their facts wrong about certain aspects of living in Canada. Also, I never said that American cities don't offer better weather and job opportunities. Are you high? So to argue something that I didn't say is simply childish idiocy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 01:51 AM
 
19,725 posts, read 15,472,193 times
Reputation: 13697
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post

"At the Victoria Gonzales weather station, daily temperatures rise above 30 C (86 F) on average less than one day per year and fall below 0 C (32.0 F) on average only ten nights per year. Victoria has recorded completely freeze-free winter seasons three times (in 1957/58, 1999/2000, and 2002/03). During the winter, the average daily high and low temperatures are 8 and 4 C (46.4 and 39.2 F), respectively. The summer months are equally mild, with an average high temperature of 20 C (68 F) and low of 11 C (51.8 F), although inland areas often experience warmer daytime highs. Victoria does occasionally experience more extreme temperatures. "

The reason I could never move to BC is the lackluster summers, sorry, but 20C is a cooler night time temperature in Southern Ontario in the summer not the high as it seems to be in Victoria!
Victorias' weather sounds about perfect to me..
I'm sure most move to the USA for the increased job prospects,and many just cant stand winter so they move to Americas south thinking temps of 100+ preferable,perhaps the lure of Florida beaches is a motivation, other than that i cant think of much else that a vacation wouldnt satiate the need for the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 04:07 AM
 
19,725 posts, read 15,472,193 times
Reputation: 13697
Whatever it is its working well for me and after being here for 40+ years i have no inclinations to move back to the USA.
USA? nice place to visit,lousy place to live,
Too many gun toting rednecks eh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 06:09 PM
 
Location: British Columbia, Canada
1,826 posts, read 1,783,835 times
Reputation: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Your argument doesn't even start to make any sense.

if you like "cool weather, fresh air, clean water and lots of greenery and happy wildlife", what about Washington and Oregon, what about Colorado? What about Utah? Plenty of options out there. The US is not exactly made of California + Texas + Florida, is it?

Speaking of drought, why are you talking as if the ENTIRE US is suffering from drought? Canada isn't because the vast majority of its small population live on a small land near large bodies of water. But guess what, millions of Americans live near the Great Lakes too. Drought affecting nearly every state?? Are you kidding?

If you don't like the drought, you simply don't choose to live in a dry place. It is not like the US is all Arizona and Nevada. Sometimes the urge by Canadians to describe the US as a miserable place for living is laughable.
You haven't been paying much attention to the news lately, have you?

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2012, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
4,742 posts, read 2,759,646 times
Reputation: 2905
I noticed that some of our local university's athletes are from Canada. Maybe some of you would be interested in contacting them to provide moral support, eh?

Delta State Athletics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 AM
 
2,962 posts, read 2,308,074 times
Reputation: 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
In case you haven't noticed the drought has afflicted nearly all of the States now.
I live on the state line of Georgia and North Carolina in the mountains. We have had more rain this year than we know what to do with. It's raining right this minute.

The drought has affected a little more than half the counties in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top