U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-15-2012, 07:44 PM
 
13 posts, read 72,813 times
Reputation: 45

Advertisements

Cost of living, more choices, and better business supporting culture and environment.

US is for someone who is ambitious, not just for young professionals, but someone who wants to try hard - because there is a market to support it, and there is a system to support it.

I was working in finance industry in Canada, and most company executives spend more time in the US than Canada because that's where the business & capital is.

You can't have a blanket argument that which country offers better quality of life. There are many beautiful places where one can raise a family much easier than in Canada simply because of cheaper housing, lower cost of living.

As a business owner myself, I can apply for SBA in the U.S. which supports small business, we can also have a lot of assistance both from government grants such as export grants, community supports, business partners and lots of opportunities to explore.

This is because US culture supports and fosters entrepreneurs, it's not for everyone, but it fits in with my personality and what I want to do (I am 38 with family), and many Canadians I met who opted to live in the US.

It's not comparing who's better or who's worse. Both countries offer different systems, I don't want to stuck with a Government job until I am 65 or 67.

Healthcare is not as some has quoted, it all depends on your plan, many employers give excellent healthcare plans, and there are tons of choices.

It's not a simple black & white - to sum up - business culture, lower cost, more opportunities, better education (for business minded people), more places to live & work & play are the main reasons.

 
Old 04-14-2013, 03:25 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,521 times
Reputation: 18
There is more peace of mind in Canada than in the U.S. and I value that the most.
 
Old 04-15-2013, 01:06 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,176,735 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneycat View Post
Cost of living, more choices, and better business supporting culture and environment.

US is for someone who is ambitious, not just for young professionals, but someone who wants to try hard - because there is a market to support it, and there is a system to support it.

I was working in finance industry in Canada, and most company executives spend more time in the US than Canada because that's where the business & capital is.

You can't have a blanket argument that which country offers better quality of life. There are many beautiful places where one can raise a family much easier than in Canada simply because of cheaper housing, lower cost of living.

As a business owner myself, I can apply for SBA in the U.S. which supports small business, we can also have a lot of assistance both from government grants such as export grants, community supports, business partners and lots of opportunities to explore.

This is because US culture supports and fosters entrepreneurs, it's not for everyone, but it fits in with my personality and what I want to do (I am 38 with family), and many Canadians I met who opted to live in the US.

It's not comparing who's better or who's worse. Both countries offer different systems, I don't want to stuck with a Government job until I am 65 or 67.

Healthcare is not as some has quoted, it all depends on your plan, many employers give excellent healthcare plans, and there are tons of choices.

It's not a simple black & white - to sum up - business culture, lower cost, more opportunities, better education (for business minded people), more places to live & work & play are the main reasons.
Not to mention the weather in the lower half of the US, that's a given
 
Old 04-15-2013, 01:55 AM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
108 posts, read 218,565 times
Reputation: 85
Interesting responses.

So for the most part, the US is more appealing for small businesses and people with a competitive spirit who want to make more money, or have more opportunities/choices.

Being from Florida myself, I understand why some people might like to move because of the weather.

I'm surprised by some of the positive comments about health care in the US. It's true, you can get excellent health care....as long as you can afford it.

Sunerip said, "There is more peace of mind in Canada than in the U.S. and I value that the most."

I'm hoping for that same peace of mind when my family and I move to Canada this summer.
 
Old 04-15-2013, 02:22 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,173 posts, read 1,752,834 times
Reputation: 2641
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD78 View Post
I'm hoping for that same peace of mind when my family and I move to Canada this summer.
Where will you be moving to?
 
Old 04-15-2013, 03:51 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,492,106 times
Reputation: 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Where will you be moving to?
It's pretty much the same everywhere in Canada. DD78 has been asking we in the Montreal forum for advice on various topics as she organizes her move from France to Montreal. We've done our best to be suitably informative about the city, province, and country.
 
Old 04-16-2013, 01:32 AM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
108 posts, read 218,565 times
Reputation: 85
Yes, Bimbam is correct. We'll be making the move to Montreal in a couple of months. Everyone on that forum has been extremely helpful!
 
Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 AM
 
185 posts, read 418,383 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD78 View Post
Aside from a couple of the obvious reasons (married to an American, change of job, etc.), why move there?

With all the benefits and overall good quality of life Canada has to offer, I'm just curious as to what other reasons people might have for moving to the US. What are some of the downsides to living in Canada?

I've heard that Canada is just like the US, except there's better healthcare, better education and less violence. And of course, there's the weather...
they don't.. the nationality with the highest illegal immigrants in canada is.. USA .. some canadians may be moving over to the states but alot more americans are going upwards, and they seem desperate too.
 
Old 04-19-2013, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Toronto
1,570 posts, read 2,813,314 times
Reputation: 1591
Economic opportunities, job transfers, and the prospect of making more money depending on the profession (especially doctors, surgeons, workers in the financial sector, and film and television actors/actresses) are probably the main reasons Canadians would move to the US.

At the same time, as many posters have pointed out, many Americans emigrate to Canada as well for their own reasons. Job transfers and the quest for a different lifestyle are probably among the more popular reasons for Americans emigrating to Canada.
 
Old 04-19-2013, 10:21 PM
 
8,568 posts, read 7,143,136 times
Reputation: 9023
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
As a Canadian (professional person) who moved to the US a couple of years ago, here's how I see it in terms of my move for me personally:

Advantages-
- Better compensation and lower taxes.
- The US embraces a 'meritocracy' atmosphere better than Canadian businesses do so easier to move up the ladder.
- Better quality of collegues so I'm learning more. The outlook is more global, competitive and innovative. I am FAR more impressed with the management in my current firm than previous Toronto one. It's not even in the same league. Things happen first in the US, Canada is more of a follower so it's nice to be on the cutting edge of things.
- More amenities/places to go. The US transportation system is so efficient and way more affordable than so you can easily go to Cali, NY, LV, Miami, Chicago, Cape Cod, etc. In Toronto, I felt trapped. Either I go up North or to Niagara Falls or Montreal, that's it. I couldn't exactly afford to fly to Vancouver very often living in Toronto due to cost but I can get out to the West Coast far easier now living in the US.
- People seem friendlier. Depends where you go and this is subjective but I found Toronto very provincial and introverted. People were very local-minded and its less transient than bigger US cities where people seem to move more often and are therefore open to chatting with new people. I know it depends on where you go but in my experience, Americans are more outgoing than Canadians, for better or worse, but it's better when you move somewhere new.
- Education. I moved for grad school and enjoyed the experience much better than undergrad in Canada. I feel they take the educational experience more seriously in the US than Canada and the uality of instructors and facilities was top notch. I know I went from Public to Private but it was a much more fulfilling experience.

Disadvantages -
- Americans have more money than Canadians and they can be more showy with it. There is more pressure in the US to step it up so to speak. There is more pressure to be part of that successful class of people and work on your image. Exists in Toronto as well but not nearly to the same degree.
- US media. I feel it's too US centric. To be expected being the world's only superpower but it's easy to get lost in a US-only world to the detriment of understanding what's going on in other countries (including who the Canadian PM is?). Depends on where and who you are of course but I find this more true overall than in Canada, although Canada is a small country that knows it is not alone.
- You have live under US Foreign policy. Doesn't impact my day-to-day life directly but I disagree with many US government decisions (e.g. Iraq) as does the majority of the population. Something you have to live with.

Doesn't make a difference to me -
- Healthcare, I give it a push. The healthcare I receive now is better than what I got back in Canada. Doctors seems more engaged and want your business and the wait times have been non-existent. I know I'm lucky though and people who don't have as good insurance don't have access to the same care I get it so I let this offset my personal advantages here.
- Crime. Never felt a difference. Stay out of the bad areas and you are fine 99.9% of the time.
- Human rights laws, etc. Canada is more liberal overall and may move quicker in certain areas but the gap isn't that huge and it doesn't impact the day to day life of the vast majority

Overall, it's been a good move for me personally and I don't regret it one bit. There's nothing wrong with both countries but Canada to me was a simpler, safe, more relaxed lifestlye. When I go back, it's like nothing changes. The US is more quicker paced and more interesting (because of it's size and diverse cities) place to be. Overall, the US is better for someone who has specific goals that they want to achieve or for those who thrive on competition and like variety/excitment. Canada was better for those who want a simple, comfortable, peaceful, life and are driven by material items or status.
i will echo this post, nailed everything i could think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top