U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-11-2013, 06:15 PM
 
12 posts, read 36,923 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD78 View Post
Aside from a couple of the obvious reasons (married to an American, change of job, etc.), why move there?

With all the benefits and overall good quality of life Canada has to offer, I'm just curious as to what other reasons people might have for moving to the US. What are some of the downsides to living in Canada?

I've heard that Canada is just like the US, except there's better healthcare, better education and less violence. And of course, there's the weather...



this question should be why do Americans moved to Canada, there are 600,000 Americans living
and working in Canada.

The largest number of Americans lived in Calgary, the population of Americans in Calgary is 100,000
then followed by Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton. Most Americans that lived in Saskatchewan comes
from North Dakota and South Dakota. Winnipeg also have American citizen in their city.

 
Old 08-12-2013, 03:02 AM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 12,007,068 times
Reputation: 9714
Quote:
Overall, it's been a good move for me personally and I don't regret it one bit.
There's nothing wrong with both countries but Canada to me was a simpler, safe,
more relaxed lifestlye. When I go back, it's like nothing changes. The US is
more quicker paced and more interesting (because of it's size and diverse
cities) place to be. Overall, the US is better for someone who has specific
goals that they want to achieve or for those who thrive on competition and like
variety/excitment. Canada was better for those who want a simple, comfortable,
peaceful, life and are driven by material items or status
.
??
Don't you mean are NOT driven by material items or status?
 
Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 PM
 
1,218 posts, read 2,114,166 times
Reputation: 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
.
??
Don't you mean are NOT driven by material items or status?
Yes, that's a typo. But life is not all about material items so don't take that statement the wrong way. I won't lie and say $ doesn't count because it does but it's not the whole story. For many, life is also about fulfillment in terms of working with/learning from other highly skilled people you respect, working on intellectually challenging work, and having opportunities to make a difference in their field of interest. Some people don't care about these things and just want a salary so they can get drunk, play with their kids or hike mountain trails on the weekends - that's cool. But some people value other things too. For e.g. A techy person will be more at home in SF/SV in the US not just for $ (although it never hurts) but also to be in a world of people with similar interests, lifestyle and ambitions. SF/SV will attract these types from around the world (not just Canada) as a result.
 
Old 08-12-2013, 07:55 PM
 
1,316 posts, read 2,031,763 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
For e.g. A techy person will be more at home in SF/SV in the US not just for $ (although it never hurts) but also to be in a world of people with similar interests, lifestyle and ambitions. SF/SV will attract these types from around the world (not just Canada) as a result.
It's also not a frozen wasteland for five-to-six months a year. That helps more than many on the Canada forum care to admit.
 
Old 08-14-2013, 08:54 PM
509
 
2,971 posts, read 4,077,143 times
Reputation: 3521
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardIsland View Post


this question should be why do Americans moved to Canada, there are 600,000 Americans living
and working in Canada.

The largest number of Americans lived in Calgary, the population of Americans in Calgary is 100,000
then followed by Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton. Most Americans that lived in Saskatchewan comes
from North Dakota and South Dakota. Winnipeg also have American citizen in their city.
Alberta is VERY American in attitude and oil.

I would welcome Alberta into the Union....rest of Canada...not so much.
 
Old 08-15-2013, 12:53 AM
 
34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Reputation: 29842
I'd imagine most people move from Canada to the USA for expanded opportunities with the potential of more money,escape winter..
 
Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 AM
 
18,263 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Reputation: 13320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Alberta is VERY American in attitude and oil.

I would welcome Alberta into the Union....rest of Canada...not so much.
Well yeah if judging purely on the superficial as displayed by cowboy hats, boots and a lump in your lower lip, I can see where you'd buy into that.

While living among many draft dodgers in the 60's who then went on to attain citizenship and produce families of their own now living in Alberta, working in those oil fields and nearly all wearing those cowboy hats, boots while chewing. I can readily see how you could be fooled.

I guess one can never tell who it is they'd be welcoming into the Union.

(Post intended as satire)
 
Old 08-15-2013, 11:18 AM
509
 
2,971 posts, read 4,077,143 times
Reputation: 3521
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well yeah if judging purely on the superficial as displayed by cowboy hats, boots and a lump in your lower lip, I can see where you'd buy into that.

While living among many draft dodgers in the 60's who then went on to attain citizenship and produce families of their own now living in Alberta, working in those oil fields and nearly all wearing those cowboy hats, boots while chewing. I can readily see how you could be fooled.

I guess one can never tell who it is they'd be welcoming into the Union.

(Post intended as satire)
On a serious note....there really is a difference between Alberta and the rest of Canada. I suspect those difference will fade over time as communities become more similar due to migration.

Alberta reminds me of Montana in the states. People accepting of differences, because they have self-confidence in themselves that they do not feel threatened by other folks.
 
Old 08-16-2013, 04:36 PM
 
Location: USA (dying to live in Canada)
1,034 posts, read 1,560,499 times
Reputation: 389
Any Canadians (unless wealthy) who moves to the USA should think twice. You have better and much cheaper healthcare, great and clean cities, healthier food, mix of Europe and North American, socialized, great world cities, great infrastructure, bilingual in English and French, no ghetto, no illegals, Spanish is not in your face 24/7, no fahrenheit, no miles/pounds/yards/feet, etc.

Just do your once or twice a year clothes and shoes shopping in NJ, NYC, PA or MA and you'll be good.

Omg I wish I lived in Canada!!!!!! You Canadians are lucky! I have the opportunity to live anywhere in Europe or USA, and Canada is nr 1 by FAR. Canada has taken the best of both places
 
Old 08-16-2013, 07:05 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,216 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Reputation: 14141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Any Canadians (unless wealthy) who moves to the USA should think twice. You have better and much cheaper healthcare, great and clean cities, healthier food, mix of Europe and North American, socialized, great world cities, great infrastructure, bilingual in English and French, no ghetto, no illegals, Spanish is not in your face 24/7, no fahrenheit, no miles/pounds/yards/feet, etc.

Just do your once or twice a year clothes and shoes shopping in NJ, NYC, PA or MA and you'll be good.

Omg I wish I lived in Canada!!!!!! You Canadians are lucky! I have the opportunity to live anywhere in Europe or USA, and Canada is nr 1 by FAR. Canada has taken the best of both places
Sorry, I just have to say it. It's nice that you appreciate Canada so much but I think you are being rather too effusive about it and perhaps a little misinformed or inexperienced in some instances. Maybe you need to spend some extended time visiting in ALL parts of Canada to get a better perspective of what ALL of Canada is really like. It's broad-brush statements such as yours above that can cause resentment, arguements and pi**ing contests between Americans and Canadians and I get kind of tired of seeing that.

Canada doesn't have better healthcare than USA. It has good healthcare that is comparable with USA and any other medically and technologically advanced country but it's not better.

The food is not necessarilly healthier so much as most Canadians tend to be more conscious about eating healthier and better balanced foods and getting more exercise.

There may not be ghettoes such as can be found in parts of USA but there are still places, such as some aboriginal communities or the DTES for example, that are in deplorable conditions and are a shame to Canada.

French/English bilingualism exists mainly in Quebec and in the rest of the country the language spoken and read is English plus whatever other motherland languages are spoken by immigrants. Many of those other languages including French ARE in English speakers faces but nobody worries or complains about it the way Americans complain about Spanish being spoken in America. If English speaking Americans don't like it that so many people speak Spanish in America then maybe they should make an attempt to learn some basic Spanish themselves so they can understand what's being said.

Canada doesn't just have a mix of North America and Europe. It has a mix of every culture, language and ethnicity from around the world.

You can't say Canada has no illegals. There's an estimated 120,000 illegal immigrants in Canada out of a population of 33 million, so percentage-wise per capita that's kind of on a par with the number of illegals in America.

I happen to like farenheit, miles, pounds, yards, feet, inches, etc. because they are easier for me to convert "visually" but it's not that hard to convert back and forth from those to metric.

Quote:
Just do your once or twice a year clothes and shoes shopping in NJ, NYC, PA or MA and you'll be good.
Shopping twice a year for clothes and shoes in America? Thanks but no thanks. Actually, I find that statement insulting as it implies that Canadians can't get good clothes in Canada. That is rich American person's way of thinking about disposable material possessions. Most Canadians are middle class people, there are less poor people and less rich people in Canada but not even most rich Canadians go clothes and shoes shopping in America twice a year. There is no savings in it as middle class people and poor people can't afford the trip twice a year to shop for cheaper clothes in America. There is no social fashion benefit in it either as fashions in America are not any better or more prestigious than what can be found in Canadian domestic and imported products. Really wealthy Canadians have their clothes made for them personally by their own couturieres, or they go on shopping trips to Europe and the UK.

.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-16-2013 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top