U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 11:33 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,735,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

The comment about violence: what about the large metro cities in Canada? They too have violence. You can not compare the Canada when you consider the population. Our small towns do not have a lot of violence either, as a rule.
Doesn't really matter, the average Canadian doesn't live in a violent neighborhood.
Canadians hate to admit but the same goes to the average American.

We all live in very safe communities.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:42 PM

72,063 posts, read 83,735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Doesn't really matter, the average Canadian doesn't live in a violent neighborhood.

and you know what? most of us do as well. I am guessing the majority of Americans have never witnessed any violence other than their kids fighting...I know, in all the years I have lived, probably longer than most on this thread and never seen any violence. I have witnessed domestic fights, a few break ins near where we have lived, but for the most part, nothing worth mentioning.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:00 PM

12,697 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Quote:

True, the lucky ones do. However if you are going to compare crime ( murder is the easiest one to compare since most countries agree on what murder is, violent crime is more difficult because reporting rates and what constitutes a violent crime varies greatly between countries ) the US has nearly four times the murder rate that Canada does.

In regards to gun violence, the US can do much better. You may feel good about where you live, but your not so lucky fellow citizens would give a very different answer than you. The numbers in the below article are real people, maybe not in your safe little neck of the woods, but still in the U.S.

America's Gun Problem In One Chart - Business Insider

Old 08-17-2013, 05:51 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,353,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Yes, the U.S. is a great place to be put into prison and spend some time in solitary confinement. After all, your chances of this happening are much higher, with 1 out of 100 adults already locked up.
You generally have to commit a crime to be locked up (and be combative in prison to spend time in solitary confinement). It's easy enough not to commit a serious crime for most people.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:34 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,735,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
True, the lucky ones do. However if you are going to compare crime ( murder is the easiest one to compare since most countries agree on what murder is, violent crime is more difficult because reporting rates and what constitutes a violent crime varies greatly between countries ) the US has nearly four times the murder rate that Canada does.

In regards to gun violence, the US can do much better. You may feel good about where you live, but your not so lucky fellow citizens would give a very different answer than you. The numbers in the below article are real people, maybe not in your safe little neck of the woods, but still in the U.S.

America's Gun Problem In One Chart - Business Insider
Don't forget we are talking about the average American because the link you showed me supports my claim.
8.5 Gun deaths per 100,000 people
Sorry to disappoint you but most of my fellow countrymen don't get shot on a daily basis.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:38 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,177,239 times
Quote:
Don't forget we are talking about the average American because the link you showed me supports my claim.
8.5 Gun deaths per 100,000 people
Sorry to disappoint you but most of my fellow countrymen don't get shot on a daily basis.
Liar.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,200,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
You compare Spanish (being considered a ghetto language) with beautiful and romantic French language?!
I wish America had English and French bilingualism. Spanish is NOT an official language in America, and many Spanish people wants us to cater to them in their language, and refuses to learn English.
Way to put your obvious racism on display

Old 08-18-2013, 03:52 AM

34,423 posts, read 41,537,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
When I came back to America, the officer asked me "How long did you stay", "Why drive all the way here for only 2 days". Well it's a trip, none of your business. So annoying!
Just a heads up on future border crossings,
Never get snarky or uppity with a border guard,keep your opinions to yourself and just answer the questions put to you truthfully and as simply as you can.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:09 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,817,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
About the education thing, I wonder if that is true? My understanding and I could be completely wrong, you can't just decide to go to Canada for college or to any other country for that matter. We had 2 grandchildren that went to other countries for part of their education: only so many were allowed each year to enter the country for college. The same is true here. Not everyone, who wants to come to America to further their education can do it.
About one-third to one-half of my fellow residents at St. Michael's College @ U of T when I lived on-campus in '99 were Americans. Actually, my particular building had more Americans than Canadians. The ratio was about 60-40. The reason they studied at U of T (some from as far away as rural Alabama) was because they could get a quality education for a fraction the cost of what they would pay for a mediocre school back home.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:00 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,144,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
You generally have to commit a crime to be locked up (and be combative in prison to spend time in solitary confinement). It's easy enough not to commit a serious crime for most people.
Yes, you know everything, don't you?

Please educate yourself on reality.

The Innocence Project - Home
Torture: The Use of Solitary Confinement in U.S. Prisons | Center for Constitutional Rights

I'd rather live in a country where even if I were falsely accused, or, heaven forbid, did commit an actual crime, I would be given a fair term of imprisonment (not excessive like in the U.S.) and held in conditions at least somewhat conducive to rehabilitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada