U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 08:17 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,269,227 times

Advertisements

Perhaps this will open some people's eyes, in the USA.

The World Peace Index, is a world wide rating of the level of peace in countries, It is based on 23 criteria, ranging from educational levels, numbers of police officers, involvement in wars, weapons ownership, and political stability.

With number one being the "best " ..... Canada ranks 4th in the world, while the USA ranks 88th.

Read the complete 2013 results here.

Global Peace Index | Institute for Economics and Peace

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:55 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,092,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by div21 View Post
Yes, U.S. has a very big hidden problem with the prison industrial complex. There's also the school to prison pipeline. If you're dark skinned be careful; the police get away with racial profiling and murder all the time. Also, look into what happened during Hurricane Katrina and why it happened at all, for that matter. Look all of these things up. It is not hard to do. Also read Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

The World Peace Index, is a world wide rating of the level of peace in countries, It is based on 23 criteria, ranging from educational levels, numbers of police officers, involvement in wars, weapons ownership, and political stability.

With number one being the "best " ..... Canada ranks 4th in the world, while the USA ranks 88th.

Read the complete 2013 results here.

Global Peace Index | Institute for Economics and Peace

Jim B

Toronto.
No one is surprised by this...

Old 08-18-2013, 09:00 AM

Canadians and Australians are shocked to find that America has a higher quality if life than there precious countries.

Quality of Life Index by Country 2013

But then again many sites have different indexes...

Old 08-18-2013, 11:58 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Canadians and Australians are shocked to find that America has a higher quality if life than there precious countries.

Plenty of sites like this one that would dispute that claim or at least pose the question of just how many Americans are privy to that higher quality of life.
The Real Numbers: Half of America in Poverty -- and It's Creeping Upward | Alternet

Even the 2012 Presidential candidate a Mitt Romney asserted that 47% of Americans were of the entitlement class,paid no taxes, basically lived their lives on government handouts.
Certainly doesnt sound like my idea of higher quality of life but then i guess the devil is in the details.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:08 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,560,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
Personally, we know of no Canadians who have moved to the US, but we know many US citizens who have moved here, and those we have talked to say they wish they had made the move sooner, adding that they would never go back.
Why and where did they move?

Old 08-18-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Plenty of sites like this one that would dispute that claim or at least pose the question of just how many Americans are privy to that higher quality of life.
The Real Numbers: Half of America in Poverty -- and It's Creeping Upward | Alternet

Even the 2012 Presidential candidate a Mitt Romney asserted that 47% of Americans were of the entitlement class,paid no taxes, basically lived their lives on government handouts.
Certainly doesnt sound like my idea of higher quality of life but then i guess the devil is in the details.
Please don't tell me your basing this off of what mitt Romney said, mitt Romney is a millionaire who thinks anyone that doesn't have a range rover is living off the government, and I doubt half of Americans are in poverty.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:44 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,708,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post

The Northeast probaly has the best quality of life in the world but we have places like Alabama and Mississippi to brink us down in the quality of life rankings.
No offense to Mississippi and Alabama, still proud to be in the same country as them.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:47 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,708,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

Meh, I don't need a website to tell me how peaceful I am.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:48 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,269,227 times
Jews for Jesus:

Perhaps you might ask the approximately 900 thousand US citizens, who now live and work in Canada, many of whom voted in the last US Presidential election, as "over seas voters ".

Most major Canadian cities have both a Democratic and a Republican party supporters club, that meets monthly.

Here is a link to a news story about that subject.

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

As to where they live ? Anywhere they want, once they have either a work visa, or Permanent Resident status, in Canada.

Jim B

Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada