U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2012, 12:13 AM
 
Location: The heart of Cascadia
1,328 posts, read 2,649,561 times
Reputation: 815

Advertisements

Dislike of winter and cheaper gas, alcohol and junk food.

 
Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 AM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
108 posts, read 218,545 times
Reputation: 85
I appreciate all the responses. Very interesting! Just a follow-up question....in general, do people have good job security in Canada?

When I lived back in the states (born and raised there), I was very career driven, but I still wanted an overall good quality of life. I believe the two can co-exist! But in the US, it can be difficult to hold onto. A lot of workplaces in the US have a competitive environment, but even if you do an amazing job, your job security isn't guaranteed. And as it is in most cases....no job, no health insurance. Whereas here in France, it is very difficult to get laid off.....even if you're lazy and could care less about your job! Granted, they do have a lot of union workers here and strikes are as common as a rainy day in the North of France. I took my kids to Disneyland Paris a couple of weeks ago, and the Disney characters were on strike! Only in France! =oD
 
Old 06-12-2012, 05:13 AM
 
218 posts, read 444,973 times
Reputation: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
For some, making more money and buying luxury homes means happiness , and there is absolutely nothing wrong or "stupid" about it. It is just a matter of different values.
That's not true at all. Money can't buy happiness. If you think it does, money becomes like a drug that ultimately destroys you and those around you.
Quote:
Don't force our belief on others. What's wrong with having a career anyway? To many, including me, that's an important part of quality of life.
Nothing of course; but being obsessed with one's job just because of the money is wrong. Because we're obviously talking about money here, otherwise there would be little reason to choose the US.

Quote:
I agree quality of life is everything, but different people have vastly different criteria, you can't simply say quality of life is simply worse in the US for everyone, otherwise, won't most Americans flock to Canada?
Yes, I would say that overall quality of life is better in Canada than in the US. At least in most places and for most people. People don't just flock from one country to another for obvious reasons.
Quote:
I agree warm weather doesn't mean good weather. But the attractive thing about the US is your have choice. They have coastal Calif, humid and hot Texas, dry and hot Arizona, wet and mild Washington/Oregon, cold and snowy upstate NY, Minnesota and Wisconsin, all season but nothing too extreme New York, DC etc. Canada doesn't offer this many selections, and let's admit it is a disadvantage. The US has cities with similar weather to Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, everything. We don't have a Miami, or LA, or San Fran, or Houston, or even a New York.
Doesn't mean the weather in Canada is "not good."
Quote:
Don't call people idiot just because who highly value hardwork and money-making.
People whose highest priority in life is making money are the reason why we're in this economic mess. And again, it's not about being hardworking we're talking about here, it's about making money. If you're hardworking you're not going to have it any easier in the US than in Canada.
Quote:
But in reality, you can't deny that the US appeals to more people than Canada, simply because it is a much large country suiting more different needs, and it should surprisings nobody.
I would say that most people who want to immigrate to the US do it because they're under the (mistaken) belief that it's still a meritocratic, democratic, and free country instead of the unequal, corrupt, and oppressive mess it has become.
That and greed.
 
Old 06-12-2012, 06:15 AM
 
396 posts, read 729,800 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
IAMOK, I was trying to explain why some people in Canada move to the US and all my arguments are valid in terms the attractiveness of the US vs Canada to those who choose to move south. Don't be so defensive.
People don't mean just one guy with a bias, your talking about an extreme opinion
Quality of life is relative. For some, making more money and buying luxury homes means happiness , and there is absolutely nothing wrong or "stupid" about it. It is just a matter of different values. Don't force our belief on others. What's wrong with having a career anyway? To many, including me, that's an important part of quality of life. I agree quality of life is everything, but different people have vastly different criteria, you can't simply say quality of life is simply worse in the US for everyone, otherwise, won't most Americans flock to Canada?
Considering the lack of free healthcare, and the fact that washington is gonna have to make some major decisions in the next few years, I'm pretty sure more than a few americans would rather being in canada, this isn't the 90's
I agree warm weather doesn't mean good weather. But the attractive thing about the US is your have choice. They have coastal Calif, humid and hot Texas, dry and hot Arizona, wet and mild Washington/Oregon, cold and snowy upstate NY, Minnesota and Wisconsin, all season but nothing too extreme New York, DC etc. Canada doesn't offer this many selections, and let's admit it is a disadvantage. The US has cities with similar weather to Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, everything. We don't have a Miami, or LA, or San Fran, or Houston, or even a New York.
Again as I said what your really talking about is coastal california, which is hard enough for american's to move too, it's no secret, and the only reason it's a viable option again is because there property market had a massive "correction" the type of correction that destroys lives, let alone bring down a quality of life by more than just a few points
Don't call people idiot just because who highly value hardwork and money-making. It makes you narrow-minded. In your logic, the reason why people move from Canada to the US is simply because they are "idiots" and don't know what quality life is about? that doesn't sound convincing.
Your making it seem that somehow hard work is an american thing, and options only exist there. The border makes no difference in this situation, what your really talking about are the options in certain cities
Canada works for some and the US works for the rest. Neither is superior and both has its advantages. But in reality, you can't deny that the US appeals to more people than Canada, simply because it is a much large country suiting more different needs, and it should surprisings nobody.
Alright yes logically more population more option, but if that's your most powerful point maybe you should of started with that logic, it's a no brainer a larger population gives certain benefits. Granted the rise of suburbia, would suggest for some magical reason people try there darndist to get out of highly urbanized areas.
 
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Reputation: 7581
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Yes, the U.S. is a great place to be put into prison and spend some time in solitary confinement. After all, your chances of this happening are much higher, with 1 out of 100 adults already locked up.
it is a ridiculous statement. it is like saying Canada is a great place to be slaughtered and cut into pieces with body parts mailed to various politicians. Demonizing the US may make you feel superior, but to the most sane people it just sounds childish.
 
Old 06-12-2012, 06:38 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Reputation: 7581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD78 View Post
I appreciate all the responses. Very interesting! Just a follow-up question....in general, do people have good job security in Canada?

When I lived back in the states (born and raised there), I was very career driven, but I still wanted an overall good quality of life. I believe the two can co-exist! But in the US, it can be difficult to hold onto. A lot of workplaces in the US have a competitive environment, but even if you do an amazing job, your job security isn't guaranteed. And as it is in most cases....no job, no health insurance. Whereas here in France, it is very difficult to get laid off.....even if you're lazy and could care less about your job! Granted, they do have a lot of union workers here and strikes are as common as a rainy day in the North of France. I took my kids to Disneyland Paris a couple of weeks ago, and the Disney characters were on strike! Only in France! =oD
that is probably an advantage of working in Canada - people get to spend more time outside work. In most cases, you have more job security. I can't imagine being fired unless I totally screw things up! But I work in the public sector, the private sector may be somewhat different.

In terms of strike, they do it too frequently here, maybe not as much as France, but far more frequent than in the US.
 
Old 06-12-2012, 07:51 AM
 
1,746 posts, read 4,633,760 times
Reputation: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
it is a ridiculous statement. it is like saying Canada is a great place to be slaughtered and cut into pieces with body parts mailed to various politicians. Demonizing the US may make you feel superior, but to the most sane people it just sounds childish.
I agree. Most Canadians demonizing the US in this thread have no idea what they are talking about. The US surely has its drawbacks (and advantages), but what some people say in this thread is ridiculous. Who could take it seriously, anyway?

You hate the very idea of having a career? Well, being a working poor or living from paycheck to paycheck barely able to pay the rent from month to month or being unemployed is not a good alternative either, either you are in Canada or in the US or anywhere else for that matter.

Besides, career is a part of a quality of life. You cannot have a good quality of life without a good satisfying job / career. And yes, it can be a 9 to 5 job. Having a career does not automatically mean working 16 hours a day seven days a week, hating what you're doing and only thinking about money day and night. I don't even know if such people exist.

In addition, I don't think the most successful people are driven by the money (alone). I don't think, it's even the #1 factor for most. Rather, it's probably a result of liking of what they are doing.

Having said that, I don't expect many positive attitudes toward the US on a Canadian forum. Just don't get too smug. After all, Canada is not that much different.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 06-12-2012 at 08:15 AM..
 
Old 06-12-2012, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
108 posts, read 218,545 times
Reputation: 85
My initial question was rather innocent, or so I thought. I was just curious as to why some Canadians move to the US. I had no idea it would get such intense responses! But again, I thank you all for the feedback.

America is a beautiful country with diverse and interesting people. I appreciate the life it has afforded me. But it's also a place where corporate greed rules and only IF you are well off enough, you can live "the American dream". I have friends and family on both sides. Those who live in their 4 bedroom houses, driving their SUV's and going to exotic places for vacation.....and those like my father, who when diagnosed with leukemia, was more worried about how much his treatment would cost, rather than focusing on getting better.

Every country has its pros and cons, I think we all know that. I'm simply looking to Canada as a possible place to live for me and my family. This American has no problem embracing the Canadian way of life. After all, we Americans can be rather open minded....when we want to be! ;o)
 
Old 06-12-2012, 01:37 PM
 
1,746 posts, read 4,633,760 times
Reputation: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD78 View Post
My initial question was rather innocent, or so I thought. I was just curious as to why some Canadians move to the US. I had no idea it would get such intense responses! But again, I thank you all for the feedback.

America is a beautiful country with diverse and interesting people. I appreciate the life it has afforded me. But it's also a place where corporate greed rules and only IF you are well off enough, you can live "the American dream". I have friends and family on both sides. Those who live in their 4 bedroom houses, driving their SUV's and going to exotic places for vacation.....and those like my father, who when diagnosed with leukemia, was more worried about how much his treatment would cost, rather than focusing on getting better.

Every country has its pros and cons, I think we all know that. I'm simply looking to Canada as a possible place to live for me and my family. This American has no problem embracing the Canadian way of life. After all, we Americans can be rather open minded....when we want to be! ;o)
Well, at least now you know why some Canadians move to the US
 
Old 06-12-2012, 02:03 PM
 
9,334 posts, read 19,462,160 times
Reputation: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD78 View Post
Aside from a couple of the obvious reasons (married to an American, change of job, etc.), why move there?

With all the benefits and overall good quality of life Canada has to offer, I'm just curious as to what other reasons people might have for moving to the US. What are some of the downsides to living in Canada?

I've heard that Canada is just like the US, except there's better healthcare, better education and less violence. And of course, there's the weather...
When i moved to Toronto, i assumed id left crazy US politics aside. What i found was lower salaries, more taxes, higher car insurance.. And it was a tough job market in 2009 even for IT, and the best I could do was a company north of Bston that paid to relocate me. By the way for every Americn that moves to Canada, there are about 4 Canucks moving south. I moved for career.. I actually like winter.

I still love and miss Canada but its hard to say no to a 25 percent salary increase and lower taxes and cost of living in the US. On the down side, my fear in the US is no job, no health cover. But thats a risk, just like any other life decision.

Last edited by minibrings; 06-12-2012 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top