U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2013, 06:30 AM

196 posts, read 342,337 times

Advertisements

Money? Sure.

Opportunity? This also.

School, especially if offered a good scholarship to a US school? Yup, and many stay there.

And weather? I'd say mostly seniors. Believe it or not, when I ask an ex-pat living in the South what the miss most, the top three usually contain:
- Kraft Dinner
- Four seasons

Old 09-22-2013, 09:09 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,095,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
Healthcare is a human right in all developed countries except for the US. Of course there are limits, but they are reasonable. I can't do much for those who live in a backwards country.

That's not true at all. Every single developed country with publicly run or managed healthcare is cheaper than the US. Even in the US, Medicare has lower administrative costs than private insurance.

$2500 per employee is an unnecessary burden for employees. You want to stimulate job growth? Go public.

I believe California is one of the states with the most healthcare options.

The private sector has failed. There is plenty of collusion to ensure you pay as much as they can get you to pay.
It simply doesn't make sense to make it profitable for a company to let you die instead of curing you. I don't see why, in the 21st century, despite growing income inequality, the poor should be discriminated even in this regards. The rich don't have more of a right to life than the poor do.

That's because the government isn't doing enough. Governments in other countries are much more aggressive and push hard for newer, more affordable technology and lower drug prices.
The problem with the US is that the government is in bed with pharmaceutical and health insurance companies.
You really don't have a clue what your talking about.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:21 PM

7,237 posts, read 6,581,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
You really don't have a clue what your talking about.
Actually, to the best of my knowledge what imokay said is all true.

If you disagree with his post and if you think you have more of a clue then prove it. Instead of making a trollish hit and run comment that offers nothing substantial to the topic it would be more credible and mature for you to refute his comments with meaningful comments that demonstrate you know what you're talking about.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:24 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,095,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Actually, to the best of my knowledge what imokay said is all true.

If you disagree with his post and if you think you have more of a clue then prove it. Instead of making a trollish hit and run comment that offers nothing substantial to the topic it would be more credible and mature for you to refute his comments with meaningful comments that demonstrate you know what you're talking about.

It wasn't just that post...anyways someone already did it

Old 09-23-2013, 10:32 AM

60 posts, read 67,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMcTavish View Post
Money? Sure.

Opportunity? This also.

School, especially if offered a good scholarship to a US school? Yup, and many stay there.

And weather? I'd say mostly seniors. Believe it or not, when I ask an ex-pat living in the South what the miss most, the top three usually contain:
- Kraft Dinner
- Four seasons

I know this is a bit unrelated, but this is something that has always bother me and amused me at the same time. Why do people who leave countries like the USA, Canada, Australia, UK, etc. always refer to themselves as ex-pats? You're not an ex-pat, you're an immigrant, just like the Indian convience store owner or the Mexican who runs the local Taco truck. Just because you originally come from a first world country doesn't mean you get to have a different title than other immigrants.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:38 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
Why is this even a popular thread?

Canadians move all over.
Caribbean, Australia, South America, Europe, etc... why does it matter why they move to the U.S?

Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 PM

7,237 posts, read 6,581,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneyed View Post

I know this is a bit unrelated, but this is something that has always bother me and amused me at the same time. Why do people who leave countries like the USA, Canada, Australia, UK, etc. always refer to themselves as ex-pats? You're not an ex-pat, you're an immigrant, just like the Indian convience store owner or the Mexican who runs the local Taco truck. Just because you originally come from a first world country doesn't mean you get to have a different title than other immigrants.
I've sometimes wondered about that too and after reading your post I decided to look up the full definition of expatriate. In a nut shell it seems to be a bit about social status snobbery. It would appear that it's not really about whether or not a person comes from a first world country that has people feeling entitled to call themselves expats but is more about their financial and professional skills and status in the place they're relocated to. A person could come from a poor 3rd world country but if they're in what is considered to be a high status, highly skilled social or professional position in their new country they may feel entitled to call themself an expatriate rather than an immigrant (even if a person is retired). Anyway, this wiki paragraph sums it up rather nicely - if you go to the link there's more information about background and trends in expatriation.

I think perhaps some people don't know what the proper meaning of expatriate is because I've heard some people refer to themselves as expats but they are un-skilled, unemployed, uneducated, rude, ignorant on-the-skids burdens in the new countries where they are. I don't know how they got there.

Expatriate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

An expatriate (sometimes shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing. The word comes from the Latin terms ex ("out of") and patria ("country, fatherland").

In its broadest sense, an expatriate is any person living in a different country from where they are a citizen. In common usage, the term is often used in the context of professionals sent abroad by their companies, as opposed to locally hired staff. The differentiation found in common usage usually comes down to socio-economic factors, so skilled professionals working in another country are described as expatriates, whereas a manual labourer who has moved to another country to earn more money might be labelled an 'immigrant' or 'migrant worker'.

There is no set definition and usage varies with context, for example the same person may be seen as an "expatriate" by his home country and a "migrant worker" where he works. Retirement abroad, in contrast, usually makes one an "expatriate"......

..... continued ......

Old 09-23-2013, 03:23 PM

196 posts, read 342,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think perhaps some people don't know what the proper meaning of expatriate is because I've heard some people refer to themselves as expats but they are un-skilled, unemployed, uneducated, rude, ignorant on-the-skids burdens in the new countries where they are. I don't know how they got there.
This one made me actually chuckle out loud.

Interesting, because I always equated the term "ex-pat" or expatriate as someone who is living in a different country due to choice. By the title of the thread (Why do Canadians move to the US?), I would suggest that those who move to the US have a choice if they wish to do so. This would also include the choice of returning to Canada if they so chose.

This is markedly different than a refugee (who is seeking "refuge" from something, and cannot return from where they came), or immigrant, which suggests someone who is going to a different country on a permanent basis, with the intent of seeking a new life, and new citizenship.

Certainly a Canadian ex-pat can move to the US, then become an immigrant who seeks US citizenship. I know a number of people who have. However, I also know ex-pats who have gone to the US, plan on staying there long-term, yet still would identify as Canadian. I would not consider this an immigrant.

Funny how a discussion on motivations in moving to the US becomes an discussion of semantics. Can't say that C-D forums are not educational.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:56 AM

9,529 posts, read 9,412,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMcTavish View Post
Believe it or not, when I ask an ex-pat living in the South what the miss most, the top three usually contain:
- Kraft Dinner
This ain't the same?

Google Image Result for http://www.thedieline.com/resource/02_09_11_kraft2.jpg%3FfileId%3D10666195

Old 09-24-2013, 10:26 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
Heck no MOS.

KD has a special blend of fake cheese that makes it desirable in a way similar to crystal meth and Tim Horton's coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada