U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 01:44 PM

196 posts, read 342,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneyed View Post
True. Coke is also better in Canada and Europe than it is in the USA. But not everyone can taste the difference.
I disagree on this one. When Coke changed the formula back to the "original", they left it sweeter in Canada and the rest of the World than the US. This was the reason for changing to "New Coke" in the first place - studies had shown markets outside the US preferred a sweeter cola than original Coke.

US Coke is what Coke used to be before Coke Classic and New Coke. Canadian Coke is syrupy yecccch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneyed View Post
Kit Kat is also a good example of this. It is manufactured by different companies and it has a completely different taste in Canada.
Kit Kat was always different between the two. Kit Kat in Canada used to be a Rowntree product (like Coffee Crisp, Smarties, Wig Wag, and Aero), while the US Kit Kat was licensed (I believe) by Hershey, who made a sweeter chocolate to appeal to American palates.

Then Nestle bought out Rowntree, and ruined their products in Canada by making the chocolate sweeter. They also ruined a bunch of them in the UK too, but the large Aero bars (the 1 quid one) still tastes like Rowntree chocolate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevike View Post
Here you are Mr. Condescending -
The Canadian referred to earlier in this thread who pined for Kraft Dinner while living in the US could simply buy Kraft Macaroni and Cheese because they are the same product, i.e Kraft Dinner is not unique (having no like or equal - from your link Mr Condescending) to Canada.
Hey Kevike, be careful who you call Mr. Condescending. Just putting up a web link doesn't always mean the link is factual. Kraft Dinner does taste different, just as McDonalds processed cheese tastes different in Canada than the US.

Kraft Mac and Cheese Ingredients, including a handy comparison with the UK:

Kraft Dinner Ingredients:

Looks different to me, which would explain why they taste different. Plus the Canadian version has the ever delicious and somewhat crack-like MSG in it. Mmmmmm. No way a product with MSG tastes the same as one without.

Actually, one of my favourite parts of travelling is trying the different food, and my wife and I love to bring home stuff from the US that is different then we have in Canada. Never thought my reference to Canadian emigrants/expats/refugees missing KD would engender such a discussion.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:42 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Mac and cheese is disgusting. I can hardly call it "food". Only lazy mothers will give it to their kids as food so that they don't need to make real food.
There is really zero point in comparing.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:53 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,708,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Mac and cheese is disgusting. I can hardly call it "food". Only lazy mothers will give it to their kids as food so that they don't need to make real food.
How is Mac and Cheese not food? if its not food than what is it? lol

Old 09-27-2013, 03:35 PM

196 posts, read 342,173 times
LOL, is this page 3 of mac n' cheese? Lord, what have I done!

Old 09-27-2013, 03:41 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,534,040 times
Quote:
Oh, come on now. I agree mac and cheese is disgusting but it's still a food and apparently the Kraft version is different between the two countries. I consider the Canadian Mac and cheese so awful, it boggles my mind that there could be something more awful, if indeed it is.

I never knew KD was considered a Canadian comfort food. And I didn't pick up on the difference that Canadians call Kraft Dinner, Kraft Dinner. I've only heard it called macaroni and cheese here. Maybe none of these things are earth-shattering facts, but I've found them interesting. The next time one of my sisters goes cross border shopping, I'm going to ask for a box of American Kraft mac and cheese and do an awfulness taste test.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:44 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,534,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMcTavish View Post
Now see, there you go. It's the war of 1812 all over again.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:52 PM

7,220 posts, read 6,572,923 times
Quote:
I disagree. Just because you don't like mac & cheese doesn't mean it's not food. Most mothers include other foods along with mac & cheese when they're serving up a meal. It's pasta. Pasta is high energy food that offers versatility and added nutrition with meals. Even served just by itself it's a quick energy booster. It's a good way to get carbohydrates, some vitamins and minerals, protein and fiber into the diet and is a treat substitute for other starchy foods like bread, potatoes or rice. Mac & cheese combined with veggies and meats in a casserole and baked in the oven is a well balanced meal that's always been a huge favourite with my family.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:56 PM

7,220 posts, read 6,572,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMcTavish View Post
People like to talk about food.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:10 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,092,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
It is different. MANY things that cross the border are different.

Try our Mountain Dew, and then try that liquid sugar named Mountain Dew on your side.
Actually they are both the same ingredients, they were different until recently Mountain Dew started putting caffeine in Canadian bottles, but before they were different.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:11 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,092,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Oh, come on now. I agree mac and cheese is disgusting but it's still a food and apparently the Kraft version is different between the two countries. I consider the Canadian Mac and cheese so awful, it boggles my mind that there could be something more awful, if indeed it is.

I never knew KD was considered a Canadian comfort food. And I didn't pick up on the difference that Canadians call Kraft Dinner, Kraft Dinner. I've only heard it called macaroni and cheese here. Maybe none of these things are earth-shattering facts, but I've found them interesting. The next time one of my sisters goes cross border shopping, I'm going to ask for a box of American Kraft mac and cheese and do an awfulness taste test.
Woah woah, your not allowed to say that here, many Canadians get offended or defensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada