U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2013, 07:58 PM
 
1,317 posts, read 2,033,603 times
Reputation: 1132

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
no their not.
Learn how to use the English language properly.

 
Old 09-29-2013, 06:38 AM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,009,760 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I always have a hard time finding what I really need in the States, but then, I love specialty cheeses, artisanal and ethnic food. You can find these things in any grocery store here.
What I find in regular grocery stores, even in cities as "International" as Toronto, is that the so called "ethnic" isles are really poor. There is a reason why immigrants open ethnic grocery stores and markets. So either your grocery stores are a perfect substitute for these specialty markets or you just aint cooking it right!
 
Old 09-29-2013, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,097,261 times
Reputation: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Learn how to use the English language properly.
That's it, all you want to do bicker, I'm putting you on my ignore list.
 
Old 09-29-2013, 12:32 PM
 
1,317 posts, read 2,033,603 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
That's it, all you want to do bicker, I'm putting you on my ignore list.
Oh, no! I think we'd all be much happier if you'd just go bother the readers of another forum with your near non-stop nonsensical nattering.
 
Old 09-29-2013, 09:16 PM
 
1,723 posts, read 5,142,120 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
What I find in regular grocery stores, even in cities as "International" as Toronto, is that the so called "ethnic" isles are really poor. There is a reason why immigrants open ethnic grocery stores and markets. So either your grocery stores are a perfect substitute for these specialty markets or you just aint cooking it right!
The ethnic aisle at Freshco is actually quite good.
 
Old 09-30-2013, 07:25 AM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,009,760 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
The ethnic aisle at Freshco is actually quite good.
Honestly I have never been to a Freshco. I think when I was living in Toronto there were maybe 2 in the entire downtown core. So cant comment on them either way.
 
Old 09-30-2013, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,595 posts, read 11,082,415 times
Reputation: 10307
Growing up in Canada and now living in the States, the one thing you really do notice is the specialization of shops/shopping.

Back to the cheese comment, you just go to the local store and they have most everything. Here there's the big chains, then Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Central Market that all carry some of the harder to find things (or Trader Joe's, their own version) and then you can probably find some smaller boutique places selling Venezuelan beaver cheese.

Same with hardware. Canada - Canadian Tire. US - Harbor Freight, Discount tire, pep-boys/Auto Zone, Bass Pro Shops, Academy, etc. For each thing you need, a different store.

I've found the local Chair King, but I'm always on the lookout for Sofa King. Their prices aren't just good, they're Sofa King good!
 
Old 10-02-2013, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Oregon
160 posts, read 574,505 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I disagree about grocery stores. I find the grocery stores in Canada to have fantastic choice. Certainly brands are different, but in the Western U.S. I have trouble finding a lot of things that are basic to a Canadian grocery store such as the variety of cheeses etc. I am always told in the U.S. that I have to go to a specialty grocery store for that.
Well it could be the areas you are visiting in the States, in Oregon the stores are excellent. Very large varieties of everything, and a lot more stores to choose from.

I was told it has to do with customs. I do agree that Canada has different brands than in the states, and it took a little while to get used to that. What is basic to Canadians is not always basic to the US.
 
Old 10-21-2013, 12:18 PM
 
24 posts, read 33,472 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Growing up in Canada and now living in the States, the one thing you really do notice is the specialization of shops/shopping.

Back to the cheese comment, you just go to the local store and they have most everything. Here there's the big chains, then Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Central Market that all carry some of the harder to find things (or Trader Joe's, their own version) and then you can probably find some smaller boutique places selling Venezuelan beaver cheese.

Same with hardware. Canada - Canadian Tire. US - Harbor Freight, Discount tire, pep-boys/Auto Zone, Bass Pro Shops, Academy, etc. For each thing you need, a different store.

I've found the local Chair King, but I'm always on the lookout for Sofa King. Their prices aren't just good, they're Sofa King good!

That's because Americans are extremely materialistic. Most of us are under the assumption that true happiness lies in the accumulation of money and material posessions.
 
Old 10-21-2013, 11:39 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,493,596 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBB13 View Post
That's because Americans are extremely materialistic. Most of us are under the assumption that true happiness lies in the accumulation of money and material posessions.
I can't say for sure not having lived in the states, but we Canadians may not be that different, we also come from a longtime capitalist country and a consumer culture is present! Less so here in Vancouver, however, although people are very house proud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top