U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:51 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

My biggest fear in the US is no job, no health cover.
I never understood the health cover part.

Going to see the doctor and getting medical treatment is a service provided, much like you have a haircut, why does everyone expect it to be free? You buy health insurance, just like you buy home insurance, auto insurance etc, what's wrong with it? Does anyone expect free car insurance?

Maybe it's just me. Whether health insurace is free or not is not an important factor in the decision. I'd prefer it to be not free as a matter of fact, because more than likely I am subsidizing others out of my own pocket. It is a zero-sum game and the "government" doesn't really make any profit to pay anything for me. My taxes do.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:59 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,472,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I never understood the health cover part.

Going to see the doctor and getting medical treatment is a service provided, much like you have a haircut, why does everyone expect it to be free? You buy health insurance, just like you buy home insurance, auto insurance etc, what's wrong with it? Does anyone expect free car insurance?

Maybe it's just me. Whether health insurace is free or not is not an important factor in the decision. I'd prefer it to be not free as a matter of fact, because more than likely I am subsidizing others out of my own pocket. It is a zero-sum game and the "government" doesn't really make any profit to pay anything for me. My taxes do.
Where the hell did i say i expect it to be free?

Do NOT twist my words. End of story.

Last edited by Vichel; 06-12-2012 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Keeping the peace

Old 06-12-2012, 03:08 PM

2,703 posts, read 4,675,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Yes, the U.S. is a great place to be put into prison and spend some time in solitary confinement. After all, your chances of this happening are much higher, with 1 out of 100 adults already locked up.
I agree with many posters that Canada is better than the US in quite a few different categories, but this one doesn't make much sense. Someone doesn't go to prison unless they are commiting serious crimes. So I will say we have more of a crime problem here, meaning more criminals on our streets, which in turn means a lot more people in prisons. It DOES NOT mean that somehow as a non-criminal you will someow find yourself in prison. That makes no sense at all!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:24 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Where the hell did i say i expect it to be free?

Do NOT twist my words. End of story.
sorry, I was not talking about you.

I was talking about the general expectation that healthcare should be free of charge, and because it is no free in the US, "quality of life" is bad.

I apologize for sounding like it.

Last edited by Vichel; 06-12-2012 at 08:38 PM..

Old 06-12-2012, 04:01 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,472,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
sorry, I was not talking about you.

I was talking about the general expectation that healthcare should be free of charge, and because it is no free in the US, "quality of life" is bad.

I apologize for sounding like it.
Thanks. Appreciate it.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:17 PM

469 posts, read 603,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I agree with many posters that Canada is better than the US in quite a few different categories, but this one doesn't make much sense. Someone doesn't go to prison unless they are commiting serious crimes. So I will say we have more of a crime problem here, meaning more criminals on our streets, which in turn means a lot more people in prisons. It DOES NOT mean that somehow as a non-criminal you will someow find yourself in prison. That makes no sense at all!
Some people in prison are innocent.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:32 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,143,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
You have a very simplistic thought process.

Many innocent people are locked up in prison in the U.S. - our system protects prosecutors who withhold exculpatory evidence in their quest to seek convictions at all costs.

If you don't believe me, then go to law school and become a lawyer - volunteer for the Innocence Project and see if you become enlightened.

Last edited by Vichel; 06-12-2012 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Removed the personal attacks

Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 PM

12,339 posts, read 10,323,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
I agree. Most Canadians demonizing the US in this thread have no idea what they are talking about. The US surely has its drawbacks (and advantages), but what some people say in this thread is ridiculous. Who could take it seriously, anyway?

You hate the very idea of having a career? Well, being a working poor or living from paycheck to paycheck barely able to pay the rent from month to month or being unemployed is not a good alternative either, either you are in Canada or in the US or anywhere else for that matter.

Besides, career is a part of a quality of life. You cannot have a good quality of life without a good satisfying job / career. And yes, it can be a 9 to 5 job. Having a career does not automatically mean working 16 hours a day seven days a week, hating what you're doing and only thinking about money day and night. I don't even know if such people exist.

In addition, I don't think the most successful people are driven by the money (alone). I don't think, it's even the #1 factor for most. Rather, it's probably a result of liking of what they are doing.

Having said that, I don't expect many positive attitudes toward the US on a Canadian forum. Just don't get too smug. After all, Canada is not that much different.

Everytime I'm in a beautiful resort area of the US enjoying our warm winter areas I come across tons of Canadians. They are always fun to be around and never say the things I read on this forum. How come those Canadians are so positive and effusive about the US? Are they afraid of the reaction they might get if they let their true feelings out?

Old 06-12-2012, 10:57 PM

7,268 posts, read 6,597,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Everytime I'm in a beautiful resort area of the US enjoying our warm winter areas I come across tons of Canadians. They are always fun to be around and never say the things I read on this forum. How come those Canadians are so positive and effusive about the US? Are they afraid of the reaction they might get if they let their true feelings out?
Do you ask all of the vacationing Canadians you meet in USA for their opinions about USA and for comparisons between Canada and USA and which country they think is better?

I think when most Canadians go to beautiful warm resorts in USA for winter they're there on vacation to have a good time and be polite and friendly towards their hosts. They're not there to get into critiquing pissing contests and cause hard feelings with their hosts.

The things you read on this forum when these never ending discussions come up re: comparisons between Canada and USA - they're just pissing contests between people online who are never going to meet each other face to face. If they were all face to face they'd probably be more civil towards each other.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-12-2012 at 11:56 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 12:05 AM

5,128 posts, read 5,851,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
A decent healthcare plan is $10,000-15,000 per year in the US.

That's a 10% hidden tax if you're part of the 5% who makes 100k a year. And they still only pay up to a certain amount, then it's all out of your pocket.
Where do you get your information? I live in the U.S. and pay for my own health insurance.

I pay $2,746.48 per year as a 53-year-old woman. My business partner pays $4,402.20 per year as an 58-year-old man. We have low deductibles.

And this is after the typical increases in premiums that happen after you've been with an insurance company for a number of years. If we switched companies, we'd most likely save a lot. Younger people of course would pay less.

Our health care system has issues here, but you are off-base with your costs.

Also, your second statement isn't accurate. Most plans pay 80% up to a certain expenditure and then switch to paying 100%. Many plans have no limit, or not a limit that you'd ever be likely to reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada