U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:06 AM

8,565 posts, read 11,065,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Produce is priced about the same in the U.S. and Canada. In fact, I find produce cheaper in Canada than in the U.S. south. Bananas are about 50 cents a pound in the U.S. at a deep discounter, like Aldi or Wal Mart. At a regular supermarket, about 70 cents a pound. Same as in Canada. Think about it - they come from the same places, and are shipped to Canada just like the U.S...

Meat and dairy cost more in Canada because they are Canadian meat and dairy. The labor costs more, they are forbidden to use hormones like rBST, and they have stricter regulation than the USDA. So of course it will cost more.

And, maclock, I am speaking from experience of 3 decades living in the U.S... a good chunk of Americans are flag-waving people who no nothing of the outside world yet think America is the best place on earth when really it is quite a dysfunctional place.
That may be the case further North in the States, but living in TX, all of my produce here is 30-50% less than equivalent in Calgary. Even more so in the winter.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:18 AM

218 posts, read 444,838 times
Judging by the previous posts, it seems that the most important thing in life is paying as little as possible for groceries.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:21 AM

34,358 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
I wonder if Canadian beer is cheaper in the U.S. than it is in Canada.
Here in Montreal Normal stuff like Molsons or Labatts run about $10 a 6 pack,add tax and can deposit on top of that and you wont get much change from $15,i've seen the same beer in the states for half the price. Chris if you make it to Montreal gimme a shout,i'm buying..

Old 06-14-2012, 12:00 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Just released is the "news" Canadians are paying more for cars that are built IN CANADA!

This stuff isn't news to anyone who'se travelled worldwide at all. On this continent we've got to accept that we've been treated to simple market economics of "whatever the market will tolerate" as the defining item of pricing in Canada.

We're charged more because we have consistantly proven we've been willing to pay more for eons.

Does this translate to stupidity, or simply apathy?

plenty of products produced in Canada, and then sell for lower prices in the US than in Canada.

You are absolutely right. One of the most important reasons everything is more expensive is Canadians are used to high prices and don't mind putting up with such BS.

Prices, in the end, are determined not by costs, but by how much consumers are willing to pay.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
Judging by the previous posts, it seems that the most important thing in life is paying as little as possible for groceries.
and you can keep pretending living costs don't matter.
groceries probably have the least price difference between US and Canada.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
These prices differ across countries and cities. One can save a whole lot of money on clothing and electronics by simply changing there shopping habbits. The cost of housing is a far more important consideration in you standard of living. This varies dramatically within one country, and even in a short time period. The housing market bubble of the states, is enough of a distortion in this cost of living to nullify any real dicussion on this.
many seem to believe so. but even before the housing crisis, housing prices in Canada were significantly higher than comparable American cities.

example:

Vancouver vs Seattle/Portland
Toronto vs. Chicago/Philadelphia
Calgary/Edmonton vs. Dallas/Houston
Ottawa vs. Austin
Winnipeg vs Columbus, OH, or Denver, CO

Go figure yourself

Old 06-14-2012, 06:57 PM

65 posts, read 161,470 times
Okay..I'm from the U.S. As of many of you are right about a few extents. I won't go into details. Yes, no matter where you choose to live, there are alot of good and bad things about every state, every city, every town and taxes will always break you. Rich or poor, it really doesn't matter because, richer class will always have to pay up the high tax bracket and of course, poor people like myself only pays 7% tax ball-park range on essentials and about 24% housing (I'm from the east coast of U.S). The more west or south you go, the cost of living will be high, especially in the most populated cities (NYC, Houston-tx, Dallas, Chicago, St-Louis, basically every large cities) Not to mention, the gas/fuel prices will be more expensive. Out-towns (outside city limits) will be a lower cost of living. Yes, U.S. has it's problems, actually alot of problems, lol. Us Americans blames our government and recently presidents for everything. Our healthcare doesn't do us Americans any good at all. We still have to pay 30% anyways for what? Just to make us pay for the military healthcare system. While the non-military people (like myself) can't even get healthcare insurance because it's too expensive to afford. So, it's tough for us to survive.

What makes matter worst for us Americans, is that U.S is letting illegal immigrants in our country to work, get government assistants, own their own business and get away with things. Most jobs out here would rather pay the immigrants $4/hour compared to us Americans minimal wage or above. ($7.25/hour or above) now, there seem to be no job for us Americans anymore. So, now you see why some Americans rather move to Canada, Alaska..anywhere outside U.S. We really can't say anything bad about Canadians, they don't really bother us and we don't really see or meet that much Canadians. Mainly, us Americans have a major problem with Mexicans.

Well, I'm going to give you a list of up and down side of U.S. Just for food for thoughts...First, the...

Downside

1. Too many immigrants in the South. (CA, NM, AZ, NV, TX, LA, GA, FL, VA,)(Any Hot weather states)
2. High cost of living (Every major over-populated states)
3. Gas/Fuel prices (Usually higher in Out-town areas to make up the cost of tax purposes)(alittle cheaper in the cities)
4. Too much traffic, jams, accidents, police, bad drivers, 83% of women causes most accidents-according to experts. (Cities)
5. Crime rates are high in cities and not so much in lower class towns.
6. U.S goverment doesn't care about Americans (depends on you circumstances)
7. Hurricans in East coast, Tornados in West coast and Earthquakes (usually hits west coast more often, but rarely happens in east coast.)
8. Depends on where you live, you will get charge for personal property tax on your vehicle (every 3-6 months)
9. Alot of restrictions and security forces and alot of speeders, speed traps and helicopters.
10. So, why do Canadians want to move to U.S, lol.

Upside

1. Varieties of weather (don't really know how to describe it)
a) cold, wet, rainy, snow, black ice is usually up-north (I actually love snow, I was born and raised in Pittsbugh, PA)
b) Hot and humid is of course in the southern region. (I can't stand the heat, but, if you love heat...then, it may just be for you)
2. There's alot of beautiful sceneries in the mountains, tropical forests, grand canyon in Arizona, you can look on google search engine and search images of any states you want to go see.
3. Small towns has alot of nice people but, mostly lay-back, slow pace workforce and they might just say hi to you un-expectly.
4. North people works hard and friendly most times but, the south people works at a slow pace and can be nice as well.
5. You have alot of people with different ethic races.
6. Less crimes rate in the out-towns (outside city limits)
7. Alot of people in Texas has guns (also, has less crimes)
8. There's alot of camping, skiing, hot springs, theme parks, fishing, beaches resorts and locations all around.
9. Alot of varieties of food resturants, stores, wal-marts etc..
10. Alot of Bars everywhere, if you love to drink. However, please don't drink and drive.
11. Alot of endless possibilities or careers, jobs, educations, housing, transportations, travel, everything that you can imagine.

There's probably alot more to add to the upside and downside list but, you got the point, lol. I know we all have our own personal reasons to move to different places, U.S, Canada, Hawaii, soo forth. So, really...there's nothing wrong about exploring. Heck, I'm a OTR truck driver that seen alot of places in U.S. However, I don't get to see home that much to visit family and friends. Usually, I'm on the road 3 and half weeks at a time and only getting to see home once a month. Guess, I'm just chasing a dream, since life is just too short to just sit around. Anyways, I felt the need to put my 2 cents in. Well, I hope when you decide to move in the U.S., that everything works out for you in your favor. Just obey by the rules and you will be just fine...

Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 PM

12,330 posts, read 10,298,159 times
I run into way more Brits in my area than Canadians. I think many Canadians move to the US for better weather, particularly in retirement. They seem to prefer the Southeast US coastal areas.

This is what coastal SC, inland from Hilton Head Island, looked like in the middle of winter (February 2008). I think to many Canadians from Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, etc that would be a nice place to spend their retirement.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:07 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I run into way more Brits in my area than Canadians.
It could also be that Canadians are not as audible as Brits and are mistaken for Americans.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:21 AM

218 posts, read 444,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
and you can keep pretending living costs don't matter.
They don't as long as you're not so stupid that the most important thing in your life is to buy stuff you don't need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada