U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 01:45 AM

396 posts, read 729,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
many seem to believe so. but even before the housing crisis, housing prices in Canada were significantly higher than comparable American cities.

example:

Vancouver vs Seattle/Portland
Toronto vs. Chicago/Philadelphia
Calgary/Edmonton vs. Dallas/Houston
Ottawa vs. Austin
Winnipeg vs Columbus, OH, or Denver, CO

Go figure yourself
Lol except these places are not comparable at all

Aside from that the housing crash distorted peoples standard of living. If a house in vegas(actual sunbelt) gets cut in half in a year, that can do a whole lot of damage to ones life.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:17 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_truckdriver View Post

Well, I'm going to give you a list of up and down side of U.S. Just for food for thoughts...First, the...

Downside

1. Too many immigrants in the South. (CA, NM, AZ, NV, TX, LA, GA, FL, VA,)(Any Hot weather states)
2. High cost of living (Every major over-populated states)
3. Gas/Fuel prices (Usually higher in Out-town areas to make up the cost of tax purposes)(alittle cheaper in the cities)
4. Too much traffic, jams, accidents, police, bad drivers, 83% of women causes most accidents-according to experts. (Cities)
5. Crime rates are high in cities and not so much in lower class towns.
6. U.S goverment doesn't care about Americans (depends on you circumstances)
7. Hurricans in East coast, Tornados in West coast and Earthquakes (usually hits west coast more often, but rarely happens in east coast.)
8. Depends on where you live, you will get charge for personal property tax on your vehicle (every 3-6 months)
9. Alot of restrictions and security forces and alot of speeders, speed traps and helicopters.
10. So, why do Canadians want to move to U.S, lol.

Swap hurricanes for blizzards and we've got basically the same downsides up here in Canada as you have in the states.We also have the necessary migrant workers that spend most of their days picking produce out in the fields or doing other menial tasks that Canadians wont do and probably what Americans wont do either so if Americans and Canadians wont work these low paying menial jobs,who will?
As for Canadians wanting to move to the USA? that number may not be as big as you think.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:28 AM

250 posts, read 549,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
Lol except these places are not comparable at all
I thought it was a great comparison....although the American side of the comparison generally included bigger cities with better economies.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:33 AM

108 posts, read 218,511 times
Well, I'm going to give you a list of up and down side of U.S. Just for food for thoughts...First, the...

Downside

Traffic, jams, accidents, police, bad drivers, 83% of women causes most accidents-according to experts. (Cities)

Please, do tell....which experts? I have a hard time believing that statistic. This coming from an American woman who has never had an accident, speeding ticket, or even a parking ticket. I've driven in some of the most dangerous and congested cities in Florida and now, in France. And let me assure you, driving in France.....that takes some balls!

Old 06-15-2012, 08:02 AM

23,991 posts, read 32,804,883 times
Speaking as someone who has been tossing around the not-quite-so-idle threat of emigrating to Canada for a couple of years now, I have to wonder why Canadians would come here. But this is from the POV of someone who wants to go THERE.

Basically I am sick of the job insecurity, out-of-control healthcare costs, the abysmal education system, the lack of a social safety net (which may come back to bite us HARD if this economy doesn't pick up), the constant ridiculous social "issues" up for debate which prevent us from working on the issues that are ruining this country...and speak of a RUINED country, have you taken a look at our pitiful infrastructure lately? I don't know about where you live, but Texas is crumbling away and is starting to look like...well...Mexico.

As soon as my parents are no longer around, I'm fleeing to Canada. Fleeing!

Old 06-15-2012, 02:02 PM

65 posts, read 161,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD78 View Post

Downside

Traffic, jams, accidents, police, bad drivers, 83% of women causes most accidents-according to experts. (Cities)

Please, do tell....which experts? I have a hard time believing that statistic. This coming from an American woman who has never had an accident, speeding ticket, or even a parking ticket. I've driven in some of the most dangerous and congested cities in Florida and now, in France. And let me assure you, driving in France.....that takes some balls!

Lol, that 83% statistic was from "Yahoo experts" Well, I got that info from yahoo, so not really sure where they got that percentage from or their experts. Are you a canadian? Why I asked is because, here in the U.S. the female drivers are far worst. Alot of us men takes noticed on the women driving skills. Most times we (or just me) see, women on their cellphone on one ear, an Ipod in the other hand, while puffing a cig and while trying to drive at the same time. That doesn't includes their texting and or using turn-signals All that combined, how can they drive like that? Most times, they're too busy using the technology we have today and don't pay no attention to the road or what's beside them. Us men just don't get it, lol.

That's how U.S. women drivers are, not all of them but, most. Once, you come to U.S. and drive thru the cities and take notice. I'm not sure about the statistic of Canadian women drivers but, hopefully they are not bad as American women drivers.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:06 PM

65 posts, read 161,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Swap hurricanes for blizzards and we've got basically the same downsides up here in Canada as you have in the states.We also have the necessary migrant workers that spend most of their days picking produce out in the fields or doing other menial tasks that Canadians wont do and probably what Americans wont do either so if Americans and Canadians wont work these low paying menial jobs,who will?
As for Canadians wanting to move to the USA? that number may not be as big as you think.

Definitely true, us Americans won't do the menial jobs either, it doesn't pay us enough money. So, you got a point there about the migrants "who will" when no one else wants to.

Yeah, I imagine the number is small for Canadians wanting to move to USA. Not so much about the money or economy factors but, just there is way too much restrictions to get pass the border. Plus, too much security forces and risks. Other American peoples said, it is soo easy to get to Canada, Mexico and other countries outside of U.S. I'm not sure how true that is...However, coming into U.S. is a whole different ball game. I don't honestly know IF that's why the number is small for Canadians wanting to come in the USA but, for some of us americans, we just have our own perks for leaving our country. Guess, Canadians do too.

To be honest: USA is a great country, despite of the perks of our economy.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,373 times
Yes, U.S. has a very big hidden problem with the prison industrial complex. There's also the school to prison pipeline. If you're dark skinned be careful; the police get away with racial profiling and murder all the time. Also, look into what happened during Hurricane Katrina and why it happened at all, for that matter. Look all of these things up. It is not hard to do. Also read Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:17 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,648,773 times
Main reasons are probably:

1) They're sun worshipers
2) Fell in love with a United Statesian
3) Have a competitive career that they can make more $$$$ in in the States

Old 08-19-2012, 09:02 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,975,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by div21 View Post
Yes, U.S. has a very big hidden problem with the prison industrial complex. There's also the school to prison pipeline. If you're dark skinned be careful; the police get away with racial profiling and murder all the time. Also, look into what happened during Hurricane Katrina and why it happened at all, for that matter. Look all of these things up. It is not hard to do. Also read Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness.

I have read that book, but I think it is biased and poorly written.

Yes, black and Hispanic men are far more likely to be arrested, prosecuted, and receive prison sentences than are white men. Racial profiling exists. And for the same crime, blacks are more likely to be apprehended and incarcerated than are whites. The largest majority of the prison population is there for drug-related crimes, and not violent crime.

What the book ignores is that it is (most often) only if you are committing crimes that you are going to end up in the system. Yes, if you a black drug dealer in the ghetto you are more likely to get locked up than a white drug dealer in a white suburb. That is unfair, and out of your control. But what is within someone's control is to be engaging in criminal behavior to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada