U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-20-2012, 11:55 AM
 
1,218 posts, read 2,117,998 times
Reputation: 1316

Advertisements

As a Canadian (professional person) who moved to the US a couple of years ago, here's how I see it in terms of my move for me personally:

Advantages-
- Better compensation and lower taxes.
- The US embraces a 'meritocracy' atmosphere better than Canadian businesses do so easier to move up the ladder.
- Better quality of collegues so I'm learning more. The outlook is more global, competitive and innovative. I am FAR more impressed with the management in my current firm than previous Toronto one. It's not even in the same league. Things happen first in the US, Canada is more of a follower so it's nice to be on the cutting edge of things.
- More amenities/places to go. The US transportation system is so efficient and way more affordable than so you can easily go to Cali, NY, LV, Miami, Chicago, Cape Cod, etc. In Toronto, I felt trapped. Either I go up North or to Niagara Falls or Montreal, that's it. I couldn't exactly afford to fly to Vancouver very often living in Toronto due to cost but I can get out to the West Coast far easier now living in the US.
- People seem friendlier. Depends where you go and this is subjective but I found Toronto very provincial and introverted. People were very local-minded and its less transient than bigger US cities where people seem to move more often and are therefore open to chatting with new people. I know it depends on where you go but in my experience, Americans are more outgoing than Canadians, for better or worse, but it's better when you move somewhere new.
- Education. I moved for grad school and enjoyed the experience much better than undergrad in Canada. I feel they take the educational experience more seriously in the US than Canada and the uality of instructors and facilities was top notch. I know I went from Public to Private but it was a much more fulfilling experience.

Disadvantages -
- Americans have more money than Canadians and they can be more showy with it. There is more pressure in the US to step it up so to speak. There is more pressure to be part of that successful class of people and work on your image. Exists in Toronto as well but not nearly to the same degree.
- US media. I feel it's too US centric. To be expected being the world's only superpower but it's easy to get lost in a US-only world to the detriment of understanding what's going on in other countries (including who the Canadian PM is?). Depends on where and who you are of course but I find this more true overall than in Canada, although Canada is a small country that knows it is not alone.
- You have live under US Foreign policy. Doesn't impact my day-to-day life directly but I disagree with many US government decisions (e.g. Iraq) as does the majority of the population. Something you have to live with.

Doesn't make a difference to me -
- Healthcare, I give it a push. The healthcare I receive now is better than what I got back in Canada. Doctors seems more engaged and want your business and the wait times have been non-existent. I know I'm lucky though and people who don't have as good insurance don't have access to the same care I get it so I let this offset my personal advantages here.
- Crime. Never felt a difference. Stay out of the bad areas and you are fine 99.9% of the time.
- Human rights laws, etc. Canada is more liberal overall and may move quicker in certain areas but the gap isn't that huge and it doesn't impact the day to day life of the vast majority

Overall, it's been a good move for me personally and I don't regret it one bit. There's nothing wrong with both countries but Canada to me was a simpler, safe, more relaxed lifestlye. When I go back, it's like nothing changes. The US is more quicker paced and more interesting (because of it's size and diverse cities) place to be. Overall, the US is better for someone who has specific goals that they want to achieve or for those who thrive on competition and like variety/excitment. Canada was better for those who want a simple, comfortable, peaceful, life and are driven by material items or status.

 
Old 08-20-2012, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,552 posts, read 9,429,171 times
Reputation: 6718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I have read that book, but I think it is biased and poorly written.

Yes, black and Hispanic men are far more likely to be arrested, prosecuted, and receive prison sentences than are white men. Racial profiling exists. And for the same crime, blacks are more likely to be apprehended and incarcerated than are whites. The largest majority of the prison population is there for drug-related crimes, and not violent crime.

What the book ignores is that it is (most often) only if you are committing crimes that you are going to end up in the system. Yes, if you a black drug dealer in the ghetto you are more likely to get locked up than a white drug dealer in a white suburb. That is unfair, and out of your control. But what is within someone's control is to be engaging in criminal behavior to begin with.
Unfortunately, more than a few Americans have ended up "in the system" although they were innocent!
 
Old 08-20-2012, 12:26 PM
 
1,218 posts, read 2,117,998 times
Reputation: 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post

Overall, it's been a good move for me personally and I don't regret it one bit. There's nothing wrong with both countries but Canada to me was a simpler, safe, more relaxed lifestlye. When I go back, it's like nothing changes. The US is more quicker paced and more interesting (because of it's size and diverse cities) place to be. Overall, the US is better for someone who has specific goals that they want to achieve or for those who thrive on competition and like variety/excitment. Canada was better for those who want a simple, comfortable, peaceful, life and are driven by material items or status.
Correction...sorry... should read "not as driven by material items or status"
 
Old 08-21-2012, 09:23 AM
 
3,097 posts, read 4,157,248 times
Reputation: 3706
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
That's not true at all. Money can't buy happiness. If you think it does, money becomes like a drug that ultimately destroys you and those around you.

Nothing of course; but being obsessed with one's job just because of the money is wrong. Because we're obviously talking about money here, otherwise there would be little reason to choose the US.


Yes, I would say that overall quality of life is better in Canada than in the US. At least in most places and for most people. People don't just flock from one country to another for obvious reasons.


Doesn't mean the weather in Canada is "not good."

People whose highest priority in life is making money are the reason why we're in this economic mess. And again, it's not about being hardworking we're talking about here, it's about making money. If you're hardworking you're not going to have it any easier in the US than in Canada.

I would say that most people who want to immigrate to the US do it because they're under the (mistaken) belief that it's still a meritocratic, democratic, and free country instead of the unequal, corrupt, and oppressive mess it has become.
That and greed.
The weather in Canada IS NOT GOOD...why deny it?...unless of course you like 8 months of grey skies/cold..
 
Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,273 posts, read 6,600,948 times
Reputation: 14310
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
The weather in Canada IS NOT GOOD...why deny it?...unless of course you like 8 months of grey skies/cold..
LOL. I'll take Canada's weather over America's any day.

.
 
Old 08-21-2012, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,959 posts, read 27,383,424 times
Reputation: 8612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
LOL. I'll take Canada's weather over America's any day.

.
Which American climate are you talking about exactly?
 
Old 08-21-2012, 02:26 PM
 
3,097 posts, read 4,157,248 times
Reputation: 3706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
LOL. I'll take Canada's weather over America's any day.

.
I prefer sun and blue skies and heat..but the thing about Canadian weather (nationally) is its practically the same it only varies on how cold/miserable it can get, there is not much variation in areas where the population lives.
 
Old 08-21-2012, 02:27 PM
 
3,097 posts, read 4,157,248 times
Reputation: 3706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Which American climate are you talking about exactly?
he must be comparing to Alaska's or the PAC West weather..or perhaps he just likes cold weather
 
Old 08-21-2012, 04:30 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,273 posts, read 6,600,948 times
Reputation: 14310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Which American climate are you talking about exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
he must be comparing to Alaska's or the PAC West weather..or perhaps he just likes cold weather
Me am a she.

I prefer cool weather, fresh air, clean water and lots of greenery and happy wildlife and I'll take rain and snow over drought, humidity, drought, baking heat (and all the ticks and other insects that engenders), drought, hurricanes, drought, tornadoes, drought, static electricity, drought, dust and dirty air .... oh, did I mention the drought that's been going on for 3 years already and worse this year than ever before?

In case you haven't noticed the drought has afflicted nearly all of the States now. People are plowing their failed corn and soya crops under, most gardeners don't have gardens this year, lots of people are killing or selling off their livestock dirt cheap because there's not enough hay and other feed for livestock and they can't afford the prices being charged for imported feed. The Shenandoah River is down to one foot deep, the Ogallala aquifer that waters 8 of the mid-west bread-basket states is depleted and not being recharged and never will be recharged again now. 80% of the glaciers in Glacier National Park are gone now and there's dredgers having to dredge the Mississippi deeper now (right now as I type this) because the river's levels have dropped so much the boats and barges used for commercial shipping are getting grounded and can't get through. Wildlife and many species of fish are dying across the nation because of dry lakes and rivers or because water temperatures reached 100*F. in places.

Yes, I much prefer Canada's weather.

.
 
Old 08-21-2012, 04:58 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,915 posts, read 70,720,442 times
Reputation: 76896
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_truckdriver View Post
Most times we (or just me) see, women on their cellphone on one ear, an Ipod in the other hand, while puffing a cig and while trying to drive at the same time. That doesn't includes their texting and or using turn-signals All that combined, how can they drive like that? Most times, they're too busy using the technology we have today and don't pay no attention to the road or what's beside them. Us men just don't get it, lol.
I've been in two accidents with male drivers who were on their cellphones, which was the cause of the accident. (This, in a state where it's illegal to use a cell phone while driving.) Never been in an accident with a female cellphone user. Over 90% of DWI (driving while intoxicated) accidents in my state are caused by men, many of them multiple offenders in the DWI category. A truck driver ran a friend of mine off the road when he didn't see her when he was changing lanes. The only reason he stopped was that he had his little son in the cab with him, and the boy said, "Daddy, I think you pushed that lady off the road." Insurance fees for teen women is lower than insurance for teen boys, as stats show the boys are more likely to be reckless.

So...whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top