Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 04:13 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevike View Post
An American product sold in the US as Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and in Canada as Kraft dinner - same product, different names. Very instructive to see some Canadians here not only claim their mac/cheese is better, but somehow that it makes Canada unique! Hilarious.
You cant say that either here, notice how the posters below your post had excuses that it isn't American.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
You cant say that either here, notice how the posters below your post had excuses that it isn't American.
Crawl back under your bridge.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneyed View Post
True. Coke is also better in Canada and Europe than it is in the USA. But not everyone can taste the difference.

Kit Kat is also a good example of this. It is manufactured by different companies and it has a completely different taste in Canada.
The best coke I ever tasted was in Mexico, the Mexican coke is actually more healthy than the Canadians coke or some of the European coke, but American coke is DISGUSTING.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Crawl back under your bridge.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:39 PM

181 posts, read 499,442 times
Canadians are utterly obsessed with America. Ironically, Americans know very little and care very little about what's going on in Canada, for obvious reasons. Canadians are some of the most ignorant people you will ever meet when it comes to the United States, so there opinion on the US means very little to me. They always work backwards from the idea that the US is a bad country and Canada is better. There is no culture shock when crossing the Canadian border into the US. They are both very similar.

There is definitely an undeniable allure to the United States though. The country has such character that changes with each State. Obviously, compared to Canada, there is a much wider selection of industries, geography and demographics.

I always find myself playing devil's advocate when Canadians criticize the United States (like they have a clue). However, there are certain issues where I simply an unable to defend the US. The first topic is health care. The United States is the only country in the Western world without an option for universal healthcare.

Secondly, it's very, very hard for me to defend the country and it's stance on guns. The country's deadly love affair with guns is like that of an abusive marriage. The U.S. experiences tragic school shootings unlike any other nation, and it's impossible to make progress when the reaction to these events is to have MORE guns. Americans think they are living in a Hollywood movie where every armed women is Angelina Jolie and every armed man is Bruce Willis. But unfortunately, life is not an action movie and the obsession with guns and the shocking ease to purchase a gun in America has resulted in the country having gun deaths that are comparable to South American countries. Gun deaths have killed over a million people in the last 30 years. I guess being armed to the teeth doesn't really make for a safe country after all.

Americans should never underestimate the damage that guns have done to their country and the country's reputation. When I was in University most of the exchange students said they would never consider doing an exchange in America because of the gun violence. I felt very sad that people did not want to live in the US because of the perception of it being unsafe for someone who was middle class. But this is the reputation the gun obsession has caused.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
Secondly, it's very, very hard for me to defend the country and it's stance on guns. The country's deadly love affair with guns is like that of an abusive marriage. The U.S. experiences tragic school shootings unlike any other nation, and it's impossible to make progress when the reaction to these events is to have MORE guns. Americans think they are living in a Hollywood movie where every armed women is Angelina Jolie and every armed man is Bruce Willis. But unfortunately, life is not an action movie and the obsession with guns and the shocking ease to purchase a gun in America has resulted in the country having gun deaths that are comparable to South American countries. Gun deaths have killed over a million people in the last 30 years. I guess being armed to the teeth doesn't really make for a safe country after all.

Americans should never underestimate the damage that guns have done to their country and the country's reputation. When I was in University most of the exchange students said they would never consider doing an exchange in America because of the gun violence. I felt very sad that people did not want to live in the US because of the perception of it being unsafe for someone who was middle class. But this is the reputation the gun obsession has caused.
So what do you want America to do with its gun laws?

Old 09-28-2013, 12:12 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
So what do you want America to do with its gun laws?
Macaroni and cheese and gun laws in the same thread?

Old 09-28-2013, 12:27 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Macaroni and cheese and gun laws in the same thread?
But of course! The two go together like rye and ginger.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:31 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
But of course! The two go together like rye and ginger.
You could use a gun to protect a criminal from stealing your mac and cheese.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:39 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You could use a gun to prevent a criminal from stealing your mac and cheese. [Corrected.]
You could. Those criminals are always trying to steal my mac and cheese. It's something that's never far from my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada