Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 02:27 AM

7,304 posts, read 9,311,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
You could. Those criminals are always trying to steal my mac and cheese. It's something that's never far from my mind.
Well, thank god for that. I wouldn't want to protect criminals from stealing Kraft mac and cheese. I think it's exactly the kind of punishment they deserve.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:49 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
Canadians are some of the most ignorant people you will ever meet when it comes to the United States
Wait a minute... When you say people, do you mean countries? If so, I would say that there probably isn't a country in the world that is more informed about the USA than Canada.

Also, how can we be as insanely obsessed with them as you claim but be the most ignorant and uninformed on the planet?

Odd that the country that visits the States the most (21million visitors last year I checked or 1/3 of all tourists) is more than double that of the next country... but we still are the most ignorant.

How is this possible?

Last edited by Stoke; 09-28-2013 at 09:02 AM..

Old 09-28-2013, 09:04 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Wait a minute... When you say people, do you mean countries? If so, I would say that there probably isn't a country in the world that is more informed about the USA than Canada.

Also, how can we be as insanely obsessed with them as you claim but be the most ignorant and uninformed on the planet?

And quite an oddity that the country that visits the States the most (21million visitors last year I checked) is more than double that of the next country... but we still are the most ignorant.

How is this possible?
Well; that's because it's an obsession of some to characterize Canadians as being obsessed with the U.S. while not realizing their obsession over what they obsessively refer to as our obsession is creating an obsessive compulsive disorder of obsessively, obsessive proportions.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:02 AM

160 posts, read 629,139 times
Wow the ignorance of some of the Americans and I am an American. My husband is Canadian and Canada can be a very nice place to live. In Alberta the kids coming out of high school are making on an average $20 an hour, no where in the states are kids coming out of high school making $20+ an hour. There are areas in Canada where the weather is quite nice, try southern BC. Kamloops has awesome weather in the summer, and a very nice winter. There are many other areas that are just as nice. I am from Oregon, but lived in Wisconsin for a time. You couldn't pay me to live there again, or in Chicago, Canada beats these places hands down. The cost of living in Canada is comparable to living in the states, the hourly wage is considerably higher for most positions so the higher cost of groceries and gas level out. My husband and his kids know more about the US, then any of us know about Canada. They are taught US history in school along with Canadian history. They do not have the diversity of TV, radio or churches that the US has, and I have to say the divers are pretty scary. People seem to be more prejudice, using slang names for different groups of people. That is one thing I absolutely do not like. I guess the difference is it is accepted, I hear it all the time whether it is in the grocery store, church or a restaurant. Canada does lack the variety of shopping we have in the US. Grocery stores do not have as much, and forget clothing stores even at malls. I usually do my shopping in the states when I come to visit because I cannot find what I use in Canada. So even though Canada is our neighbor there are differences, both countries have good and bad points. It just depends what you are looking for.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:18 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post

Odd that the country that visits the States the most (21million visitors last year I checked or 1/3 of all tourists) is more than double that of the next country... but we still are the most ignorant.

How is this possible?
Some confuse C-D posters with the general Canadian public.

It is pretty strange how a thread like this becomes so popular.
"Canadians move to the USA!!?! OMG NO!!! How dare they move to that third world dump!!"

Old 09-28-2013, 12:27 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Some confuse C-D posters with the general Canadian public.

It is pretty strange how a thread like this becomes so popular.
"Canadians move to the USA!!?! OMG NO!!! How dare they move to that third world dump!!"
I remember reading a post about maybe a month ago and the poster was saying he was afraid to go to America because people have guns. lol...It amazes me how Americans are suppose to be the most ignorant yet honestly some of these posters really don't have a clue what their talking about. On i think the thread about American retailers in Canada i said that Canadians drive down to the border a lot to get food from America. Then i had about 3 posters making up all these excuses one poster even said that all American food or cheaply made from china, well hello you buy half of our food.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:29 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj7run View Post
Wow the ignorance of some of the Americans and I am an American. My husband is Canadian and Canada can be a very nice place to live. In Alberta the kids coming out of high school are making on an average $20 an hour, no where in the states are kids coming out of high school making $20+ an hour. There are areas in Canada where the weather is quite nice, try southern BC. Kamloops has awesome weather in the summer, and a very nice winter. There are many other areas that are just as nice. I am from Oregon, but lived in Wisconsin for a time. You couldn't pay me to live there again, or in Chicago, Canada beats these places hands down. The cost of living in Canada is comparable to living in the states, the hourly wage is considerably higher for most positions so the higher cost of groceries and gas level out. My husband and his kids know more about the US, then any of us know about Canada. They are taught US history in school along with Canadian history. They do not have the diversity of TV, radio or churches that the US has, and I have to say the divers are pretty scary. People seem to be more prejudice, using slang names for different groups of people. That is one thing I absolutely do not like. I guess the difference is it is accepted, I hear it all the time whether it is in the grocery store, church or a restaurant. Canada does lack the variety of shopping we have in the US. Grocery stores do not have as much, and forget clothing stores even at malls. I usually do my shopping in the states when I come to visit because I cannot find what I use in Canada. So even though Canada is our neighbor there are differences, both countries have good and bad points. It just depends what you are looking for.
I reported you for saying you drive down the border to shop. Many Canadians get offended by this.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool85

Canadians are some of the most ignorant people
you will ever meet when it comes to the United States
"Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well-informed about the United States." - J. Bartlett Brebner

Old 09-28-2013, 05:24 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj7run View Post
I disagree about grocery stores. I find the grocery stores in Canada to have fantastic choice. Certainly brands are different, but in the Western U.S. I have trouble finding a lot of things that are basic to a Canadian grocery store such as the variety of cheeses etc. I am always told in the U.S. that I have to go to a specialty grocery store for that.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:32 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Which ones? Be more specific. CTV? CBC? Global? Globe and Mail? National Post? Toronto Star? Regina Leader-Post?

(I'm willing to bet that mysticaltyger has never read or seen Canadian media.)
Yes, I have. But primarily, I was referring to American media outlets.

But the bottom line is all media outlets have biases...doesn't matter where they're based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada