U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 AM

108 posts, read 98,995 times
Default Why do Canadians move to the US?

Aside from a couple of the obvious reasons (married to an American, change of job, etc.), why move there?

With all the benefits and overall good quality of life Canada has to offer, I'm just curious as to what other reasons people might have for moving to the US. What are some of the downsides to living in Canada?

I've heard that Canada is just like the US, except there's better healthcare, better education and less violence. And of course, there's the weather...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 AM

9,101 posts, read 9,384,298 times
Economic opportunity or to put it bluntly - to make it big.

Canada is a really good place to live if you are an average middle class person (and probably better than the U.S. if you are poor).

But if you are competitive and highly motivated to succeed, nothing beats the U.S. - even with all of its problems.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:30 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,847,825 times
Bigger, more diverse economy. You've got places like NYC where someone who's really world class can make a become rich working in some super specialized field that's only viable in such an enormous economy with all of the diversity of opportunity that implies. Great place for smart, ambitious, very well educated or talented people who feel they can reach higher than the highest of Canada's highs. Same reason that our very best actors and musicians go become stars in Hollywood after they cut their teeth in Canada. Also, the US has lower taxes, so a Canadian doctor, say, who gets the subsidized tuition here under the unwritten social contract that they'll then practice in Canada can go to the US and make a crazy amount of money without any student debt to pay off and so can do very well. The US also has nicer weather than we do, and may retired people, and working people, are drawn to that.

So in short, Canada is a great place to be comfortable and middle class, but the US is better if you want to be rich and are in a position to become so. Also better if you're in a specialized field and have trouble finding work in a smaller economy like Canada.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:39 PM

3,031 posts, read 2,014,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD78 View Post
Aside from a couple of the obvious reasons (married to an American, change of job, etc.), why move there?

With all the benefits and overall good quality of life Canada has to offer, I'm just curious as to what other reasons people might have for moving to the US. What are some of the downsides to living in Canada?

I've heard that Canada is just like the US, except there's better healthcare, better education and less violence. And of course, there's the weather...
Canada is NOT a better version of the US, that's for sure. Immigrating to Canada has always been easier than to the US, yet far more immigrants are interested in the US than Canada.

Most people want to move to the US, for economic/career reasons. The US provides far more career opportunities for highly skilled professional. It is not just about making more money, but also about fulfill one's potential.

Yes, life is not about work, but if all the young people are satisfied with a 9-5 routine job with no excitement and hardly many opportunities to stand out as "successful", this country would be hopeless.

I have talked about moving to Canada with some of my friends working in the US, and almost without except, the idea doesn't appeal to them whatsoever. The idea of moving to Canada while you are already in the US to many almost represents incompetence - that one can't survive in the US and has to go to Canada. This kind of view is quite prevelant among migrant workers in the US.

Downside of living in Canada
1) No where in Canada offers good weather. Chicago kind of weather which is absolutely horrible in American standards, is considered as warm and mild. And Chicago is actually warmer and receives less snow than Toronto.

2) few cities offer good job opportunities. basically only Toronto has a highly diversifed job market. The US has at least 10 metro areas bigger or similar to Toronto. My friends with biology background had to leave Canada because there is no job for them. have we heard of a CDN pharmaceutical company?

A friend of mine just moved to a small city in upstate NY from Toronto 6 months ago. He had a stable job from the government with good benefit and went for a small firm with less than 50 employees, much less vacation. Sounds stupid to many, but he believes the US economy will provide far more advancement opportunties for him in the future, and he hates the idea of being stuck at the slow paced job in Canada achieving nothing day after day. That's what has driven these people to leave. Stuff like healthcare, leisure are not important for motivated aspiring younge people.

3) much lower pay and much higher cost of living. No need to elaborate. Higher taxes, higher cost of all services. Even NYC is cheaper than Toronto/Vancouver put housing aside.

As to healthcare, Canada does have some advantages. However, if someone is confident enough to move to a more competitive America, he probably is able to secure equally good healthcare plan with his employer. It is much less a concern for younger and well educatied professionals.

To individuals, "overall quality of life" means absolutely nothing. What matters is MY quality of life, isn't it? And for those who made the efforts to move to the US and succeeded, usually they can achieve a higher quality of life south of the border.

Canada of course has its own advantages - we all know about it - and it is only good for certain groups of people, the less ambitous, less money-driven, those who prefer a stable life over excitement and risks. There is really no good or bad.

One thing I absolutely don't agree with is "Canada has a higher quality of life" or "Canada is just a US without its problems". In fact very few people believe in that in reality - much fewer Americans move to Canada vs Canadians moving to the US, and the US still attracts far more immigrants than Canada, despite it being much more difficult. Canada happens to work better for some and the US for the other.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:30 PM

396 posts, read 323,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
canada is not a better version of the us, that's for sure. Immigrating to canada has always been easier than to the us, yet far more immigrants are interested in the us than canada.

Most people want to move to the us, for economic/career reasons. The us provides far more career opportunities for highly skilled professional. It is not just about making more money, but also about fulfill one's potential.

Yes, life is not about work, but if all the young people are satisfied with a 9-5 routine job with no excitement and hardly many opportunities to stand out as "successful", this country would be hopeless.

I have talked about moving to canada with some of my friends working in the us, and almost without except, the idea doesn't appeal to them whatsoever. The idea of moving to canada while you are already in the us to many almost represents incompetence - that one can't survive in the us and has to go to canada. This kind of view is quite prevelant among migrant workers in the us.

Downside of living in canada
1) no where in canada offers good weather. Chicago kind of weather which is absolutely horrible in american standards, is considered as warm and mild. And chicago is actually warmer and receives less snow than toronto.
when you get right down to it the weather sucks everywhere with the exception of coastal california, this is a very relative statement, going to houston for many wouldn't be a good time for many in canada and in the northern states. Last time i checked people weren't fleeing the north of the usa
2) few cities offer good job opportunities. Basically only toronto has a highly diversifed job market. The us has at least 10 metro areas bigger or similar to toronto. My friends with biology background had to leave canada because there is no job for them. Have we heard of a cdn pharmaceutical company?
your cherry picking here for sure there are niche jobs for people to go everywhere, i know plenty of expat americans living in asia due to the higher scale of living there expertise gives them.
a friend of mine just moved to a small city in upstate ny from toronto 6 months ago. He had a stable job from the government with good benefit and went for a small firm with less than 50 employees, much less vacation. Sounds stupid to many, but he believes the us economy will provide far more advancement opportunties for him in the future, and he hates the idea of being stuck at the slow paced job in canada achieving nothing day after day. That's what has driven these people to leave. Stuff like healthcare, leisure are not important for motivated aspiring younge people.

3) much lower pay and much higher cost of living. No need to elaborate. Higher taxes, higher cost of all services. Even nyc is cheaper than toronto/vancouver put housing aside.
what is canada bangladesh all of a sudden There's no perfect place to live, your talking about minor percentage differences.
as to healthcare, canada does have some advantages. However, if someone is confident enough to move to a more competitive america, he probably is able to secure equally good healthcare plan with his employer. It is much less a concern for younger and well educatied professionals.

To individuals, "overall quality of life" means absolutely nothing. What matters is my quality of life, isn't it? And for those who made the efforts to move to the us and succeeded, usually they can achieve a higher quality of life south of the border.

Canada of course has its own advantages - we all know about it - and it is only good for certain groups of people, the less ambitous, less money-driven, those who prefer a stable life over excitement and risks. There is really no good or bad.
yeah all my family in alberta a bunch of lazy do nothings, and my mother pulling in 130 k a year has no ambition and pays every scent she makes in taxes
one thing i absolutely don't agree with is "canada has a higher quality of life" or "canada is just a us without its problems". In fact very few people believe in that in reality - much fewer americans move to canada vs canadians moving to the us, and the us still attracts far more immigrants than canada, despite it being much more difficult. Canada happens to work better for some and the us for the other.
i'll agree with you here that canada no better but no worst either, it's just another middle class country, this notion that there's some massive divide between first world countries is a joke.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:21 PM

218 posts, read 190,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
1) No where in Canada offers good weather. Chicago kind of weather which is absolutely horrible in American standards, is considered as warm and mild. And Chicago is actually warmer and receives less snow than Toronto.
Warm weather != Good weather. **** warm weather.
Quote:
2) few cities offer good job opportunities. basically only Toronto has a highly diversifed job market. The US has at least 10 metro areas bigger or similar to Toronto. My friends with biology background had to leave Canada because there is no job for them. have we heard of a CDN pharmaceutical company?
Of course it's easier to find a job like that in the US, pharmaceutical companies making tons of money because of the lack of universal healthcare in the US.
Quote:
Stuff like healthcare, leisure are not important for motivated aspiring younge people.
Sure, if by "motivated aspiring young people" you mean "stupid immature idiots who think money is all that counts."
Quote:
3) much lower pay and much higher cost of living. No need to elaborate. Higher taxes, higher cost of all services. Even NYC is cheaper than Toronto/Vancouver put housing aside.
Big cities are expensive everywhere and, again, money isn't everything.
Quote:
As to healthcare, Canada does have some advantages. However, if someone is confident enough to move to a more competitive America, he probably is able to secure equally good healthcare plan with his employer. It is much less a concern for younger and well educatied professionals.
A decent healthcare plan is $10,000-15,000 per year in the US. That's a 10% hidden tax if you're part of the 5% who makes 100k a year. And they still only pay up to a certain amount, then it's all out of your pocket.
Quote:
To individuals, "overall quality of life" means absolutely nothing. What matters is MY quality of life, isn't it? And for those who made the efforts to move to the US and succeeded, usually they can achieve a higher quality of life south of the border.
Again, that's BS that comes from someone obsessed with money and "having a career." Quality of life is everything.

Quote:
US still attracts far more immigrants than Canada, despite it being much more difficult.
That means absolutely nothing, especially considering that the US is the world's only superpower.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:01 PM

3,031 posts, read 2,014,833 times
IAMOK, I was trying to explain why some people in Canada move to the US and all my arguments are valid in terms the attractiveness of the US vs Canada to those who choose to move south. Don't be so defensive.

Quality of life is relative. For some, making more money and buying luxury homes means happiness , and there is absolutely nothing wrong or "stupid" about it. It is just a matter of different values. Don't force our belief on others. What's wrong with having a career anyway? To many, including me, that's an important part of quality of life. I agree quality of life is everything, but different people have vastly different criteria, you can't simply say quality of life is simply worse in the US for everyone, otherwise, won't most Americans flock to Canada?

I agree warm weather doesn't mean good weather. But the attractive thing about the US is your have choice. They have coastal Calif, humid and hot Texas, dry and hot Arizona, wet and mild Washington/Oregon, cold and snowy upstate NY, Minnesota and Wisconsin, all season but nothing too extreme New York, DC etc. Canada doesn't offer this many selections, and let's admit it is a disadvantage. The US has cities with similar weather to Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, everything. We don't have a Miami, or LA, or San Fran, or Houston, or even a New York.

Don't call people idiot just because who highly value hardwork and money-making. It makes you narrow-minded. In your logic, the reason why people move from Canada to the US is simply because they are "idiots" and don't know what quality life is about? that doesn't sound convincing.

Canada works for some and the US works for the rest. Neither is superior and both has its advantages. But in reality, you can't deny that the US appeals to more people than Canada, simply because it is a much large country suiting more different needs, and it should surprisings nobody.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:13 PM

2,510 posts, read 4,036,424 times
For me, weather. It's also a lower cost of living (not everywhere of course but many places it is).

Old 06-11-2012, 09:30 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,857,395 times
Yes, the U.S. is a great place to be put into prison and spend some time in solitary confinement. After all, your chances of this happening are much higher, with 1 out of 100 adults already locked up.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:12 PM

896 posts, read 813,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Yes, the U.S. is a great place to be put into prison and spend some time in solitary confinement. After all, your chances of this happening are much higher, with 1 out of 100 adults already locked up.
Yes, because everyone I know in the States has spent time in the slam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada