U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 02:35 PM

1,746 posts, read 4,634,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Canada's beer is full flavoured...not like that watered down stuff from the states. lol
Canadian beer is as bad as American beer.

I'm not talking microbreweries here, but generic beer. Molson is not any better than bud, and labatt is not any better than miller. It all tastes the same.

There are some good microbreweries in both countries, though. In any case, beer in both countries sucks comparing to German, Dutch, Belgian and other European beer.

Guys, you'd better choose another topic for comparison. In terms of beer, both Canada and the US have nothing to brag about.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 06-14-2012 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 03:16 PM

396 posts, read 729,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I largely agree with what you and BIMBAM said, but I would say that poverty is only a partial explanation. Newfoundland until fairly recently had very high rates of poverty but extremely low violent crime rates. So much so that their police officers didn't even carry guns until 1998.

But one of the reasons I guess is because the "prosperity differential" in Newfoundland was not as extreme as in the U.S. Sure, there always were more well-off people in Newfoundland, but it was not off the scale like it could be in the U.S. And also the colour of one's skin wasn't a factor in determining whether one had a good chance of being wealthy or poor.

So I would say Canada has a lower crime rate due to a series of factors, including:

- a better social safety net to help the down and out

- relatively small historical visible minority groups with a history of being less well off

- less of a "prosperity differential" between people, and especially between people of different origins

- gun control (yeah, I think it is an important factor)

One thing I notice is when a certain number of these factors break down or are absent, such as with aboriginal groups in certain Western Canadian cities or with young black men in Toronto, then you can still have certain sub-sectors of Canadian society where violent crime can be as high or even higher than in some parts of the U.S.
I lols at gun control anyone in newfoundland can get a hunting rifle real fast. The fact is the poverty in newfoundland was with the elderly, or it wasn't that real. Although technically there was a lot of poverty, the fact of the matter is a large portion of the population had secondary income sources and very strong family networks. People on welfare, don't just lay around here, they often hunt moose(a huge protein source, fish, and cut they're own wood for fire and housing construction. A newfoundlander on welfare if healthy had little concern of true poverty you get in cities.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:30 PM

8,568 posts, read 7,143,136 times
political in fighting as well as religions belifes seem to be the major social differences between the two countries that i have come acroos. i can only assume that plays a pretty large role in why some places within the us seem so damn uneasy. i know its the one thing that i dread about living in the us. EVERYONE has an opinion and EVERYONE is right.

people rarley want to discuss their views long before it turns in to an all out war.

obviously this isnt the only factor into why one place would be more violent then the other, but in my mind living here for the past 5 years as a former canadian its definalty the most standout difference i can see leading to conflict between people.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,653,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
People on welfare, don't just lay around here, they often hunt moose(a huge protein source, fish, and cut they're own wood for fire and housing construction. A newfoundlander on welfare if healthy had little concern of true poverty you get in cities.
I think you've definitely hit on something here. However, I don't think it's really an urban/rural split, as most reserves are pretty rural, and some of them have crime and poverty on par with the worst of the US.

I think criminal cultures get created in some situations of endemic poverty. Those Newfoundlanders never really let poverty break their social structures or expectations.

I think the opposite is true in some parts of Canada, and many parts of the US. People end up finding unhealthy ways to deal with it, whether it be chemical dependencies or easy, illegal, money. Even if opportunities exist to get out of it, kids growing up in that don't see them, or don't see them the same way most of us do. They end up learning to cope the same way their parents and peers did.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:34 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,465,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
It is a given that there is much less violent crime per capita in Canada. However, I don't think a lack of guns is the primary reason. Perhaps it is a cultural thing.
Do people in the cities leave their doors unlocked at night?
Take off the rose colored glasses. There is crime such as burglary or car theft in Canada. I always lcked my apt and car in Toronto.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:28 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,492,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
I think you've definitely hit on something here. However, I don't think it's really an urban/rural split, as most reserves are pretty rural, and some of them have crime and poverty on par with the worst of the US.

I think criminal cultures get created in some situations of endemic poverty. Those Newfoundlanders never really let poverty break their social structures or expectations.

I think the opposite is true in some parts of Canada, and many parts of the US. People end up finding unhealthy ways to deal with it, whether it be chemical dependencies or easy, illegal, money. Even if opportunities exist to get out of it, kids growing up in that don't see them, or don't see them the same way most of us do. They end up learning to cope the same way their parents and peers did.
I think you've really hit the nail on the head. That's what I intuitively understood but couldn't quite articulate to myself. Great post .

As for above poster, of course there's property crimes in Canada, this conversation, however, is about the frequency of this crime. I think statistics show that it is indeed less common in Toronto than in American cities of comparable size.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:33 PM

312 posts, read 946,033 times
I think it's something in the Tim's Coffee....

Old 06-21-2013, 09:12 AM

9,530 posts, read 9,414,676 times
Historically, Canada doesn't seem to have the culture of violence that has existed in the United States in the years since its founding. Why could this be? Could it be that the British settlers to what is now the U.S. came from places in Britain where violence was a part of the culture and those who settled Canada did not? Also, were Canada's French settlers historically conflict-adverse and willing to live in peace with the Natives?

Old 06-21-2013, 09:37 AM

34,387 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Great Question Chris with many answers,our European forefathers were certainly no strangers to violence in fact mankind has been a rather violent species right from the get go,death destruction and wars are a trait humans own whether in the USA or anywhere else,in this day and age while USA is a violent place watching places in the middle east over the past few years show just how much violence humanity can inflict on itself, lately Syria comes to mind.
Heres a good article on the condition of Violence in America.
Why We Americans Are so Violent

Last edited by jambo101; 06-21-2013 at 10:21 AM..

Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 AM

12,691 posts, read 8,756,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Historically, Canada doesn't seem to have the culture of violence that has existed in the United States in the years since its founding. Why could this be? Could it be that the British settlers to what is now the U.S. came from places in Britain where violence was a part of the culture and those who settled Canada did not? Also, were Canada's French settlers historically conflict-adverse and willing to live in peace with the Natives?
I'm guessing it's because in Canada The Northwest Mounted Police were the law in far outreaches of the country. You weren't just dealing with a sheriff but a whole organized police force.
Canada never had a " wild west " .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or