U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:21 PM

469 posts, read 602,008 times

Advertisements

It is a given that there is much less violent crime per capita in Canada. However, I don't think a lack of guns is the primary reason. Perhaps it is a cultural thing.
Do people in the cities leave their doors unlocked at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,161,410 times
Some might argue that there's a correlation to cold climate and lower crime rates.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:01 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,653,198 times
It's not really a given, as some parts of the prairies and the north are actually more violent than much of the US.

I'd argue that all across North America, areas with endemic poverty and social issues tend to create a culture of criminality, as people find the easiest way to survive and pass those skills on to their children.

Canada, though obviously not exempt (as the example of the prairies and the north illustrate) is less burdened by those issues than the US.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,486,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Some might argue that there's a correlation to cold climate and lower crime rates.
Doubt weather is all that important (see Chicago, Detroit, Winnipeg and Iqaluit). No, I think the issue arises when you let a permanent under-class develop, when there's low social mobility over generations. Throwing guns into the mix is just gasoline on the fire, definitely not the cause. Guns are basically not accessible for the average person in the UK so the criminals there stab people with knives and knifings are a real problem. I'm happy that each of those stabbings wasn't a gun shot, and there's the added benefit that it's harder to stab someone than to shoot them, but that doesn't mean banning guns fixed the country's social dysfunctions.

Canada has problems like that in certain areas, most notably in Aboriginal communities and neighbourhoods but not exclusively in these. For the most part, though, I think crime is much lower because the long established social safety net kept alot of people from getting trapped in a vicious cycle of unbreakable urban poverty. Not everyone, but vast numbers were saved from that. That helped keep our cities vital so we didn't abandon them for the suburbs and that meant most city neighbourhoods were saved from becoming abandoned ghettos that concentrate poverty in a way that breeds ever more crime.

So it's a complicated equation, lots to it, but basically it's socio-economics more than anything else.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 PM

903 posts, read 2,240,569 times
They are peaceful now but try taking away their hockey and their beer...

Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 PM

7,217 posts, read 6,572,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
It is a given that there is much less violent crime per capita in Canada. However, I don't think a lack of guns is the primary reason. Perhaps it is a cultural thing.
Do people in the cities leave their doors unlocked at night?
Less crime per capita compared to who? I sure hope this isn't going to turn into another tedious topic comparing Canada with the USA.

On a per capita basis some countries have more crime than Canada and some countries have less crime than Canada and some countries have more guns and some have no guns. Yes, I think crime is a cultural thing and I also think increased population densities plays a large part in increases in violent crime.

I live in Vancouver which is a big city and nobody I know leaves their doors unlocked at night nor at any time of the day, whether they're home or not. I've lived in smaller towns in the lower mainland BC and nobody leaves their doors unlocked at night or when they're not home in the daytime but if they're home in the daytime many people don't keep their doors locked.

Get up into some of the smaller towns and rural areas further north where there aren't as many people and towns and homesteads are further apart and many people don't bother locking their doors at any time. Not even when they leave their property to go into town to go shopping. Places where there's less population density most people know who everybody is and there's more a sense of trust and less violence in the community.

Now I'm not saying it's like that in all small towns and rural areas in the north - I couldn't say anyway because I haven't lived in all of them - just speaking from my own experiences in the places I've personally lived in further northern areas.

Many people in northern rural areas will lock their doors not because of people but because of bears. Bears are observant and can easily figure out how to open unlocked doors, unlocked windows and a host of other things that aren't locked down. There's been plenty of reported incidents of bears opening unlocked doors and helping themselves to the contents of people's fridges and kitchen pantries and cupboards.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:09 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,648,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
They are peaceful now but try taking away their hockey and their beer...
Do Canadians really like beer any more than Americans? I mean hell, the whole country is semi-dry in the sense you won't find any beer at 7-11, Safeway etc, you have to go to a beer store.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:35 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Less crime per capita compared to who? I sure hope this isn't going to turn into another tedious topic comparing Canada with the USA.

Good question. Why do many people keep pretending there is only one country outside Canada?

if you look at crime stats among industrialized countries, Canada doesn't really stand out at all.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Canada's homicide rate actually is higher than average, higher than Japan, Australia, and New Zealand and all EU countries except Finland. Hardly impressive.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:38 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

On a per capita basis some countries have more crime than Canada and some countries have less crime than Canada and some countries have more guns and some have no guns. Yes, I think crime is a cultural thing and I also think increased population densities plays a large part in increases in violent crime.

I live in Vancouver which is a big city and nobody I know leaves their doors unlocked at night nor at any time of the day, whether they're home or not. I've lived in smaller towns in the lower mainland BC and nobody leaves their doors unlocked at night or when they're not home in the daytime but if they're home in the daytime many people don't keep their doors locked.

Get up into some of the smaller towns and rural areas further north where there aren't as many people and towns and homesteads are further apart and many people don't bother locking their doors at any time. Not even when they leave their property to go into town to go shopping. Places where there's less population density most people know who everybody is and there's more a sense of trust and less violence in the community.

Now I'm not saying it's like that in all small towns and rural areas in the north - I couldn't say anyway because I haven't lived in all of them - just speaking from my own experiences in the places I've personally lived in further northern areas.

Many people in northern rural areas will lock their doors not because of people but because of bears. Bears are observant and can easily figure out how to open unlocked doors, unlocked windows and a host of other things that aren't locked down. There's been plenty of reported incidents of bears opening unlocked doors and helping themselves to the contents of people's fridges and kitchen pantries and cupboards.

I observe pretty much the same thing. All city-dwellers I know lock their doors almost all of the time. If they don't it's because they forget. I live in the city and it happens to me sometime. The thing in the Michael Moore movie about inner city Toronto residents not locking their doors is bunk.

Small town and village residents in Canada may leave their doors unlocked it is true. Generally this seems to depend on how far they live from a big city. If a big city is an hour or so away, you will find most people lock their doors even in a village of 500 people. If a big city is 5 or 10 hours away, then you will find most doors unlocked. The difference is not so much because those closer to cities fear "big city people", but because they are closer to the "city mentality" and it influences them.

I have many relatives who live in small villages quite far away from the big cities (like 8 to 10 hours). Their house doors are always unlocked and they also leave their keys in their cars with the doors unlocked.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Good question. Why do many people keep pretending there is only one country outside Canada?

if you look at crime stats among industrialized countries, Canada doesn't really stand out at all.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Canada's homicide rate actually is higher than average, higher than Japan, Australia, and New Zealand and all EU countries except Finland. Hardly impressive.
I frequently raise these points with people whenever a discussion starts about how low Canada's crime rate allegedly is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or